HARD APPLE CIDER ... any tips ?

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

10% ABV is more than you will want IMHO.

I would go with 5 gallons of cider. It isn't that expensive.

Champagne yeast might be best for Higher ABV.(alcohol by volume)

I don't think cider is available until fall.

YOU CAN RECYCLE YEAST......

A huge money saver. Plan 1 more batch right after this one.

I would consider adjuncts such as:cinnamon, nutmeg, etc...

Apfelwein is worth a google.

cheezydemon said:
10% ABV is more than you will want IMHO.

I would go with 5 gallons of cider. It isn't that expensive.

Champagne yeast might be best for Higher ABV.(alcohol by volume)

I don't think cider is available until fall.

YOU CAN RECYCLE YEAST......

A huge money saver. Plan 1 more batch right after this one.

I would consider adjuncts such as:cinnamon, nutmeg, etc...

Apfelwein is worth a google.

Thanx CD.. I just remeber the UK stuff I had had a little kick to it... alittle rough but dam good... 3 pints later I was lollied ! :drunk:

edit----
Apfelwein !! Googled - Thax again CD this stuff sounds like what Im trying to make !

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider) Apple Wine Recipe
Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza fest (out of 11 entries) and took 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders (out of 50 entries).
Ingredients
5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast
Equipment
5 Gallon carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
Funnel First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.
There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles (
see here
). I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary. It ferments out very dry (less than 0.999, see here)

Apfelwein really improves with age, so if you can please let it sit in a carboy for up to 3 months before bottling or kegging'>kegging, then let it sit even longer. Here's what some folks think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces
Six months and it hits its stride. Eight months and it'll blow your mind.
If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.
Remember to reserve judgment till after 3 glasses. It grows on you.

Im going to look for some apple juice this weekend, if i find some cheap i will make it as well Easy E.

I found some at COLES !! Cascade premium apple juice - %95 apple, %5 water
NO SUGAR , NO PRESERVATIVES!! Though it is sparkling ? But at Coles they have a CIDER kit too ! and it was cheaper than what I bought ! And the citric acid was there too !

Went to local grocer and asked for old apples..... he gave me 5-6kg for $4 ....:)

So I have: Concenrate, apple juice, and apples.... ;)

Novacastrian said:
Im going to look for some apple juice this weekend, if i find some cheap i will make it as well Easy E.

APPLE CIDER THROWDOWN ?

here is some of the stuff I got from coles...
002-13.jpg

005-15.jpg

004-10.jpg

And my apples - about 3-4 varieties ! Already going alittle soft.. (except those 4 green ones)
009-14.jpg

I have 5 Ltrs of apple juice
18 Ltr of brew pack
6 kg of apple to extract the juice to top up !

And the 22 Ltr brew pack from brew shop.

Another 30lrt Cayboy/ frementer on the way !!

mmmmmm 60ltrs of goodness !

1 st one will be experiment...
2nd will be the Apfelwein with corn sugar & Montrachet Wine Yeast

1st - the experiment...
Demarara Sugar is new to me... apartly has more of a toffee flavour said to be the "perfect coffe sugar"... so I will use that with brown and castor.
O and alittle Aussie natural honey.. leveled out with citric acid

How much did you pay for a bottle of the apple juice??

Edit: Oh yeah and you left your domain! Good for you :P

2.80ea I think...

How do you mean.... I left the local town area !? Dose not happen often anymore ;):lol: Just for the bigger grocery shop once a month !

chilliman said:
Thanx CD.. I just remeber the UK stuff I had had a little kick to it... alittle rough but dam good... 3 pints later I was lollied ! :drunk:

edit----
Apfelwein !! Googled - Thax again CD this stuff sounds like what Im trying to make !

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider) Apple Wine Recipe
Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza fest (out of 11 entries) and took 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders (out of 50 entries).
Ingredients
5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast
Equipment
5 Gallon carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
Funnel First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.
There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles (
see here
). I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary. It ferments out very dry (less than 0.999, see here)

Apfelwein really improves with age, so if you can please let it sit in a carboy for up to 3 months before bottling or kegging'>kegging, then let it sit even longer. Here's what some folks think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces
Six months and it hits its stride. Eight months and it'll blow your mind.
If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.
Remember to reserve judgment till after 3 glasses. It grows on you.

Good Old Ed Wort.

If you noticed, there were only several thousand posts on that thread worshipping Apfelwine.

I will try it this fall.

The thread divided into disciples of carbonated, or uncarbonated, but both worship the stuff equally.

It unreal ! I am going to go for carbonated to start! As I have the drops ready for when I bottle, or I will try the extra sugar when bottleing.

Bloody courier didnt make it out here... his explanation.. "we didnt know how far out you were!"
Will not be getting carboy till Monday now :(

LOL, the three "C`s" on my mind lately... Cider, Chicken and of course Chilli...

Yeah, "chili is good", bwahahahaha.

I don't know how an ugly ass individual landed a missus like yours! :hell:

Back