HARD APPLE CIDER ... any tips ?

Fellas!!!!

The key is to start another batch while the first is in secondary.

One batch causes a lot of stress, 2 batches splits the stress.........if that makes sense.

OR.....It is easier to let something age, if you have something else to drink.;)

Still in frementer ! I will bottle over weekend !

Novacastrian said:
HEY CHILLIMAN, I FEEL LIKE YELLING AT YOU!

HOW IS YOU CIDER GOING? I BOTTLED MOST OF MINE AND IT IS ON ITS SECOND FERMENTATION. 5 WEEKS SEEMS LIKE FOREVER TO WAIT, OOOOO MANNNNNNNNN.

? Yeast cake ? I just used a 7 gram packet of dry yeast that came with the tin of cider concentrate.

I ended up useing 2 tins of concentrate and 2 packs of yeast.
Have not even looked at it.

I was thinking the same thing .... cake ?? I like cake !

The cake is a lie!

Actually, when the yeast drops out of suspension it forms a yeast "cake" at the bottom of the fermentor. Also, when your yeast turns a year old, that is what you get them for the party.

imaguitargod said:
The cake is a lie!

Actually, when the yeast drops out of suspension it forms a yeast "cake" at the bottom of the fermentor. Also, when your yeast turns a year old, that is what you get them for the party.

Thats what I assumed. ;)
Would the cake already have a flavour and taint the next batch if the first one was bad ???

PIG & CIDER PARTY will be interesting !

I was going to do second batch CD, but I thought if I didnt like it.....30LTRS is alot, what would I do with 60LTRS ?

I hope all goes well... and it will be around 5-6 weeks before i taste this brew. And if all is good I will probably get alot going.

My tart hard cider is quite good. i used a half gallon each of sweet and tart fresh hard cider, some jaggery as i had some around, and poured it onto the yeast cake from the ale i bottled that day. I primed it with brown sugar and it's just awesome. It has a slight pucker, but is very much drinkable.

chilliman said:
PIG & CIDER PARTY will be interesting !

I was going to do second batch CD, but I thought if I didnt like it.....30LTRS is alot, what would I do with 60LTRS ?

I hope all goes well... and it will be around 5-6 weeks before i taste this brew. And if all is good I will probably get alot going.

You would drink it. There are tons of ways.

Some people simmer it with cinnamon sticks and cloves and then drink it from a mug on a cold night by the fire.

chilliman said:
How long did you ferment and bottle ?
Hard to say. I tried to do 1-2-3, but it was more like 2-2-1 or something like that. It's still kind of young. I had a bottle after 4 days and it was sour apple city, but i had a bottle at 6 days and it was much better. It hasn't been bottled long and i imagine it'll condition nicely so i'll not be drinking the rest for a spell. Since it has ale roots in this "recipe", i don't expect much change in a while aside from mellowing and just overall improving. I will say that i definitely would make a 5gal batch of the stuff.

Ok , so I just picked up some PET plastic bottles (for home brewing)

I thought this would be fine ?
Anybody used plastic to bottle ? And will they last as long as glass, in way of storage ? ?

chilliman said:
Ok , so I just picked up some PET plastic bottles (for home brewing)

I thought this would be fine ?
Anybody used plastic to bottle ? And will they last as long as glass, in way of storage ? ?
i've used them. they work. they're just not long term.

How long it keeps depends on the strength. If it's 10% vol or less - 18 months maximum. If it's more than 10% vol - 3 years if kept in a cool, dark place.

3 weeks out from proper drinking date and i cracked one of my bottles. The taste was nice already but it still needs some more carbonation, the 3 weeks should do that nicely :P

Well I have finally cracked my first bottles..... this stuff is really good, perfect for what I wanted; summer juice & something for the wife
(she luvs it !)
I think the extra month in th fermenter worked out.
I now will get ALOT cracking, and keep stocked up.
Here is a pick of the first batch:
It is still alittle cloudy, Taste is alittle like passion pop.
I placed 1 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in at bottleing.
Only been in bottle about 2 weeks. (so still alittle early)
Great carbination.
But a fantastic apple after taste... :)

005-17.jpg

008-13.jpg

I look forward to when it matures if it lasts that long !;)

Back