HARD APPLE CIDER ... any tips ?

UPDATE- arrived -
002-15.jpg

Here is what I used - ( I didnt end up useing the brown sugar, just extra cup of white castor adn 1 bottle of honey)
003-12.jpg

YEY ITS IN AND FERMENTING ! 30LTRS

007-15.jpg

008-12.jpg

Is the air-lock starting to bubble yet?

As for letting it sit for longer...

"Six months and it hits its stride. Eight months and it'll blow your mind".

Says some dude!

In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so.

As per your recipe i do believe!

The brew is but the air lock is not ! there is a little bit of room in top of barrel, so it will have to build up... I will check again tonight.. its only a couple of hours old

I wrapped it up in foil and towel in hope to keep it warmer.

Make sure you have put the lid on correctly, i had issues with one of my kegs where as if the lid wasn't on REALLY TIGHT the airlock wouldn't bubble as the gas was escaping past the rubber foam sealy thingo. This won't affect the brew however you won't be able to see when it has finished fermenting and it is cool to hear the, bloooop blloooooop of the airlock :P

Thanx mate for all your help and everyone who gave tips !!!!:) , and the count down begins....:clap:

I will update in a month or two when I bottle it !

Oh yeah i wanted to purchase a heating mat for my carboy but the dude at the shop just said "ya don't need one" i was like wtf why wont you sell me a heating mat (probably didn't have any) and then he just said that he uses a towel to wrap around his so you aint as dumb as you look!!

LOL, it kinda looks silly... but its tucked away in a dark corner of the house not to be touched for I would say 2 months now.

Then bottle and leave for another 2 mths. tasteing along the way of course;)

The cider packs say - 2 weeks to ferment, then 5 weeks in bottle. (but I have doubled everything, and the cider packs together make 34 LTRS I made 30 with them... so I hope its not too sweet & would rather leave it longer to take out the sugars ?. Is that how it works ?

OK, all is welll and the airlock is bubbleing away !

Can I open the carboy and place more sugar in a week or two ? Or will this be enough ?? :

13 grms of yeast
1KG Dextrose sugar
375ML Honey
500 grm demarara sugar
100 grms castor

I dare say it will be enough. I didn't add any sugar or honey to mine as i am relying on the natural sugars in the 9 litres of apple juice i added.

You added some apple juice too so there should be plenty!

Edit: Yeah you have 1975 grms of "sweet stuff" and then your juice, how much juice did ya put in there because there is around 10grms natural sugar per 100ml i think.

I thought a couple a bubbles occassionally, but the BLOOP of the airlock is all the time ! Ha haha it still catches me out... as I can hear it when all is queit in the "chilli office".

HEY CHILLIMAN, I FEEL LIKE YELLING AT YOU!

HOW IS YOU CIDER GOING? I BOTTLED MOST OF MINE AND IT IS ON ITS SECOND FERMENTATION. 5 WEEKS SEEMS LIKE FOREVER TO WAIT, OOOOO MANNNNNNNNN.

Back