• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has anyone used Air Pots?

Those pots are great at preventing circular root growth, which is great when repotting plants, they'll grow roots faster after repotting. You could also use transparent cups for your plants, this way you see when the roots reach the edge and can repot before the circular growth starts.

I did quite a bit of reading on these before i went out and bought some. I heard some people say why they wouldn't use them but and thats fine but i thing the examples they used where maybe not quite right.
I was one post that said they are not the industry standard: We they are for some like the forestry service that use them to start trees. The reason nursery's don't use them is because they are more expensive and they are not going to reuse them.. So its not cost effective for them..
Some also said that they didn't look easy to clean. Well all it takes is to unscrew the two lock screws by hand and rinse them off with the hose and drop them in a big tub with some thing to sterilize them.. I can tell you its a lot easier than those clay pots i was trying to clean last week end..Key word in that is "WAS" Thats when i went out and bought some more aeropots.
So they are easy to clean
They are not that much more expensive ( if you reuse them)
Easy to store when not using them
and provide better root systems.

Of course that's just my opion

Those pots are great at preventing circular root growth, which is great when repotting plants, they'll grow roots faster after repotting. You could also use transparent cups for your plants, this way you see when the roots reach the edge and can repot before the circular growth starts.

I agree they work but me any some others on here have to point out how expensive they are not making them any type of choice to even consider.

The forrestry department, being a gov. Agency does not concern itself cost effectiveness, also they will be removing their product, trees, to plant them, and would be able to reuse it. A nursery sells it product in the container, nobody wants to pay 20 bucks for a pot and 3 bucks for a plant....23 bucks.

So as an industry standard, I do not think they qualify, NASA uses rockets, they are great if you can afford one, most of use cannot. So considering something an industry standard, because a gov. Agency can afford it is not logical.

If you are gov funded or you are growing a product that's profit is measured in multiples, which peppers are not, air pots are not feasible, maybe as a novelty, one or two for fun. Not your entire grow which may include 100 pots.

The forrestry department, being a gov. Agency does not concern itself cost effectiveness, also they will be removing their product, trees, to plant them, and would be able to reuse it. A nursery sells it product in the container, nobody wants to pay 20 bucks for a pot and 3 bucks for a plant....23 bucks.

So as an industry standard, I do not think they qualify, NASA uses rockets, they are great if you can afford one, most of use cannot. So considering something an industry standard, because a gov. Agency can afford it is not logical.

If you are gov funded or you are growing a product that's profit is measured in multiples, which peppers are not, air pots are not feasible, maybe as a novelty, one or two for fun. Not your entire grow which may include 100 pots.

Yes thanks Armac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You said that well!!!!

I am glad some of us understand.

"Not your entire grow which may include 100 pots. "

Good point, how about 10,000 or more, they going to give a bulk price like 30 cents for a #1 nursery, which is ABOUT how much standard black nursery pots do cost.

This topic was just discussing the merits of whether they work as well as advertised, not whether nurseries would want to buy 1,000.

The felt material bags are too expensive for me. :lol:

I am quite familiar with regular nursery pots as I unloaded trucks with hundreds of them every morning.
2008_0622Work35KOrder0004.jpg

2008_0622Work35KOrder0001.jpg

2008_0608BambooPipeline0010_800x600.jpg

No wonder you promote that potting soil, you must get a discount on it at your work.

I worked there almost three years ago Rodney and employee price was nothing great so I never brought anything home unless they gave it to me. :lol:
They didn't pot things there, these plants are all from various nurseries that the trucks picked them up from the preceding day.
This is a landscaper supply company.

"Arrogance is not a quality I admire but whatever. :rolleyes:"

I am more or less telling you I can asure that you or me can grow in ANY container with the correct grow medium. From expanded clay to coco chips you can grow ANYTHING. MIxes like bark may last 3-4 or even 5 years!!! MIxes like expanded clay or even custom small gravel mixes can last forever. I would like to help new growers get this understanding as I take joy in gardening.

When I hear something new I consider it. If it is not economical it makes no sense to me at all.

No problem William. Cost was never a factor in this thread as I was just curious as to how they worked considering the best science yet as far as containers go.
Yes they are very expensive and for that reason I won't be purchasing them. I think it's outrageous that the material bags are $10-$15 each for a good sized one.
I will stick with my $3 each Lowe's buckets I think. Cheapest fairly large container out there and the silver color reflects light so the soil doesn't bake like black nursery pots do.

Check out Viagrow bags on the Home Depot site, pretty cheap I just got 10 of the ten gallon ones, seem sturdy.

I am very sorry your right you never said anything about the price of them.

Another note: You can use regular potting soil and still have good air flow, a huge advantage of air pots.

I am very sorry your right you never said anything about the price of them.

Another note: You can use regular potting soil and still have good air flow, a huge advantage of air pots.

True but it's the air pruning of the roots that is the selling point for me. Pretty simple and yet very scientific. I may try and make something like that.
The only negative I see, if it is a negative is the potential of unwanted bugs to be able to make it into the soil through the air holes.
That would make the fabric bags probably the best all around as far as higher tech growing containers. ;)

Check out Viagrow bags on the Home Depot site, pretty cheap I just got 10 of the ten gallon ones, seem sturdy.

armac, are you talking about the white ones, or the fabric ones with handles?

There are some very ignorant statements being made in this thread. Air pruning pots are superior to conventional containers hands down. The price is NOT expensive. Infact they are cheap as dirt (fabric ones I get) I will challenge ANYONE to a grow comparison to prove it. Same plant, same size container, same soil. Air pruning wins every time. Fact.

My geo pots are putting my garden plants to shame... I even have the geopots in my garden. Kind of wondering why I worked this soil so darn hard all this time :-p

Back