• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has anyone used Air Pots?

I love them, i got some brains in the 3.4 gallon that are going great, here is my roots from some of my plants when i started them in the 1l pots while back.

6899745299_46ecf020a6_b.jpg

I love them, i got some brains in the 3.4 gallon that are going great, here is my roots from some of my plants when i started them in the 1l pots while back.

6899745299_46ecf020a6_b.jpg

Now that is cool! No rootbound issues since the Airpots air prune the roots and keep them from circling inside the pot like a smooth pot does.

Mine got root bound in 5 gal pots from consuming all the soil and I had to plant them in the garden about a month ago... The roots were growing through the fabric and the plants were turning funny colors... When I put them in the garden they went NUTS and exploded with new growth and peppers... Definitely starting them in geopots in late December(going to be a Christmas gift from me to me :D) then planting them in the garden in may. I want to grow some towering trees... Some of my plants are 5' tall but I'm positive they'd be at least 7' if I did that.

Where's the best cheapest to get air pots. In almost sold

Best bet going to your local hydro and try to see if they will give you a deal. They are not cheap, i now i paid 120 bucks for 10 of the 12.5l, I saw soem paces on amazan, but the shipping got a little expensive. So best bet check to see what you your local hydro, check discounthydro.com they in cali and they carry the samller ones. But may call and ask as they seem to be priced decent.

Also, remember that those photos of beautiful plants are in FL.
All the peppers I have seen photos of from states with humid weather are much larger and healthier than many other states.
Not to take anything away from the Airpots mind you, I think they are the best pot out right now but the price is too much for me personally.
I think I will try fabric pots next season.

Good thread. I like the time lapse comparison pictures.

I don't think it has been mentioned so far that the air pruning pots are designed to increase lateral root growth. From what I read about them, when the root tip dehydrates in the air holes and dies, new lateral roots sprout out producing a denser root ball. Vs normal smooth walled pots where all the root growth energy is directed into the root tip seeking out new space - ie circling the pot.

The end result is a larger root surface area, a better root distirbution and a more efficient root system at absorbing nutrients and air.

These air pots were designed for starting trees so that when they are transplanted into the landscaping project they don't suffer transplant shock. Trees started in normal pots get large roots circling the pot and take a while to adapt to transplant.

The website selling them I saw states that a normal plant potted into these pots as its final position would not see a huge difference against a normal smooth walled pot. Logically the science implies that if you have a good airy soil mix and feed the plant the best quality feed it can get then the air pots and normal pots will see the same results.

However I believe the airpots increase the margin of error you have in correctly feeding and making a soil mix. They do this by maximising the ability for oxygen to get in, and the amount of root absorption sites.

So yes they are great for getting a seedling off to a great start and giving it every chance for its next transplant into ground. Probably not really necessary if you do everything else right with your chilli peppers.

I'm going to try and find some of the fabric ones for a few plants, but I'm hoping for 100 to 200 plants this season and so most will be in the 49cent 9 litre plastic buckets with holes drilled in the bottom.

Keep up the update photos. :)

Good thread. I like the time lapse comparison pictures.

I don't think it has been mentioned so far that the air pruning pots are designed to increase lateral root growth. From what I read about them, when the root tip dehydrates in the air holes and dies, new lateral roots sprout out producing a denser root ball. Vs normal smooth walled pots where all the root growth energy is directed into the root tip seeking out new space - ie circling the pot.

The end result is a larger root surface area, a better root distirbution and a more efficient root system at absorbing nutrients and air.

These air pots were designed for starting trees so that when they are transplanted into the landscaping project they don't suffer transplant shock. Trees started in normal pots get large roots circling the pot and take a while to adapt to transplant.

The website selling them I saw states that a normal plant potted into these pots as its final position would not see a huge difference against a normal smooth walled pot. Logically the science implies that if you have a good airy soil mix and feed the plant the best quality feed it can get then the air pots and normal pots will see the same results.

However I believe the airpots increase the margin of error you have in correctly feeding and making a soil mix. They do this by maximising the ability for oxygen to get in, and the amount of root absorption sites.

So yes they are great for getting a seedling off to a great start and giving it every chance for its next transplant into ground. Probably not really necessary if you do everything else right with your chilli peppers.

I'm going to try and find some of the fabric ones for a few plants, but I'm hoping for 100 to 200 plants this season and so most will be in the 49cent 9 litre plastic buckets with holes drilled in the bottom.

Keep up the update photos. :)

Well said mate. ;)

Well since I'm in the middle of getting my choice plants ready for the winter, I thought it would be a good time to post some pics of the roots...
This is my Giant Bhut Jolokia.
This pepper started in a red party cup then moved to a 1 liter Airpot.
It was then transferred to a 1.5 gallon Airpot where it stayed all season.
Grown in PromixBx.
Fed GH General Organics nutrients.

1.5 gallon Airpot:
IMG_7876_zpsfc10ad65.jpg

The Airpot it's in and the one it's moving into:
IMG_7879_zps80226b7b.jpg

Skinned:
IMG_7885_zpse75048e2.jpg

Close-ups:
IMG_7886_zps47e8dea7.jpg

IMG_7887_zps7a79a1c8.jpg

Bottom:
IMG_7888_zps351294aa.jpg

This is the trimmed back root ball.
IMG_7890_zps7ce18377.jpg

IMG_7891_zpsce1d232b.jpg

The original root ball was just the same only larger. Large amounts of hair-like roots.
The best way to describe the difference in the root structure in airpots compared to traditional pots would be to compare them to hair:
Afro- Airpot
Dreadlock- Traditional container
I'm happy with the blow out.
Happy roots happy plant.
I will be using nothing but Airpots for my overwinters.

That's all for now from RoninGarden..

As you may have noticed, that post is the only one with holes reversed.
Good eye.
That took months for someone to notice.
I did that in my initial post to see if anyone would notice!
Airpots rock!

:party:

i just took 3 of the same young plants
repot them as they started to bloom

1. 15L air pot
2. 18 L regular
3. 7 L regular

for now: (after 2 weeks)

1 tons of flowers (over 100), few started pods
2 15~ flowers, all seems to fall very soon - don't know why, the plant got big leaves
3 40~ flowers - few started pods and from some reason the plant its much taller than others

lets see what will happen next on.

Cool Post's Ya'll...Damn I can't believe how long this post has gone on, but it has...for good reason! :} I switched to fabric pots and have been happy! Them high tech pots just don't match my rustic decor..Be well

I tried air pots for a bit and didn't like them much. I perfer the fabric smart pots far more and had much better results and they are much cheaper.

You had much better results?

Yes, the air pots tend to dry out much quicker and are a much bigger pain in the ass to water. In fabric pots the roots are not restricted to pruning in just the hole area's like on the air pots. With the fabric pots the roots grow out and hit the fabric and are pruned as soon as the go through the fabric. So the root mass tends to be far greater than when i used the air pots. When i was getting rid of some of my plants recently, some of the root masses that i pulled out of my fabric pots were just ridiculous. Its like there wasn't any soil left haha. Not saying the air pots arn't good. Just not as good in my opinion and based on my experience using them.

I was looking at the propogation trays at rootmaker.com, and i was wondering if anyone tried coffee filters instead of trays or disposable cups. It shouldn't be too hard to rig some into little pots.

Back