• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Help Me Find A New City To Live In

We lived in Corpus Christi from '94 to 1999. Small town feel with some of the conveniences of a big city. Stay close to the coast and summer high temps rarely see more than 95F. The fishing is really good. House prices were cheap but insurance and property taxes high.

your description sounds like Fort Worth...to me it does anyway...but remember, Fort Worth ain't Dallas...

It took me 40 years to find Fort Worth but it was well worth the wait...

Cheaper than Austin and a hell of a lot nicer than Dallas/Houston

thats my 2 cents

AJ, for years we have entertained the idea of moving to Ft. Worth. Honestly, the only thing keeping up from further investigation is that part of the appeal of this move is not only to escape Austin, but (and I know this sounds bad) family. One day, we will probably come back to Texas to take care of our parents. But while we can escape, we want to. Ft. Worth is very appealing, but just too damn close.

Be easy to keep our house here, though, and rent one up there. What's a 3/2 in the historic district run nowadays? I bet it ain't the deal it used to be. :D

I hear ya...just sayin'....

Eephus Man, gonna be watching this thread! I wanna live in the place that matches all your criteria too :lol:

Always wanted to see Austin, heard a lot of good things about it. Unfortunately don't have much to suggest for you ATM. Was considering mentioning Portland as well. Madison, WI got cancelled due to weather and real seafood, and got to say San Diego is a great place to be- other than the cost of living... The weather is great, but believe it or not- one of my favorite things about this town are the people! lol, for real! Socal gets a bad rap in that area IMO. Most of the folks that are hard to get along with are from elsewhere- and for some reason usually wear Red Sox hats.

Best of luck in your endeavor, getting the itch to move my family as well. Maybe somewhere more green. Talking woods...

There should be only one requirement when considering where to live, and that is if the climate is good for growing super hot chili peppers!

There should be only one requirement when considering where to live, and that is if the climate is good for growing super hot chili peppers!

:D

I hear ya, buddy!

The upside to heading north is that I might be able to grow tomatoes, too! Downside is fewer warm days for chilis.

If you are in and industry that is in demand and can find a job cali is still a great place to live and with all the housing problems anything just outside of Orange County is a GREAT deal. FYI my pepper plants are STILL growing although the recent weather has stopped them from fruiting they have yet to loose any leaves..

If you are in and industry that is in demand and can find a job cali is still a great place to live and with all the housing problems anything just outside of Orange County is a GREAT deal. FYI my pepper plants are STILL growing although the recent weather has stopped them from fruiting they have yet to loose any leaves..

My standard of living would suffer *greatly* in CA. Much like NY, can be a great place to visit. :)

My two cents on St. Louis:
Welcome to the biggest small town in the Midwest! St. Louis is a patchwork of neighborhoods, some of them ethnic and some of them blended, some of them hostile and some of them benign. In the city proper what you think of St. Louis may literally depend on which block you live in! There are many good communities in the City itself, and perhaps more in the county that have the kind of atmosphere you want to raise your kids in. From the sound of it, if you chose the city you would probably want to look at private school, many of which are quite affordable in the middle income class range. If you do decide to look here, be sure you get a good native to drive you around and advise you! (dont trust the realtors- do your own research). If you are willing to live two hours out from downtown, you'll be in farmland. Some areas have neighbors that will keep their nose in your business, some will leave you alone, and some have neighborhoods that work together- and thats all inside city limits!

You can be part of the revitilization- or move into an area thats already experienced the rehab. I would find the job first and then look at the schools, and then start scouting the neighborhoods. Perhaps rent for a year or two, get the feel of the town, decide where you want to live.

The cost of living is low, for the size of the city. Diversity of lifestyles and cultures we have in spades. There are lots of family friendly festivals around major holidays, Especially Fourth of July, Christmas, and for new Years Eve. I live near a park which hosts a variety of festivals, and the rural communities only two hours out from Saint Louis each have a festival of their own flavor. State and National Parks abound,there are all sorts of caves if you like spelunking, lots of rivers to go canoeing. we have a really nice zoo, and a lot of free or very inexpensive culture in the form of museums, organizations, and night spots. (great local music scene). The growing conditions are pretty good most years. We get all four seasons, but I'll warn you, in the months you consider "spring" and "fall" you may experience all four seasons in one week!

The down side: there are places you dont want to go at night. The St. Louis City government is um, in a time warp. If you want to do public school, you will probably be choosing a county neighborhood with higher housing costs and taxes. (they are nice safe, neighborhoods, though the diversity is lower) St. Louisans are horrible drivers, especially when the streets are the least bit wet. we regard highway speed limits as suggestions. In the city itself there are a ridiculous number of stop signs, and arbitrarily placed one way blocks.

There is no ocean, July and August are unbearably hot and humid and there is no wind. Winters rarely contain pure snow, wintry mix being our most common form of precipitation, which means alternating sleet, snow, and freezing rain. weather is a popular topic of discussion. It snowed on Christmas eve for the first time in a decade, real snow. It got down to 17 F. Today, it got up to 57, tomorrow it will be 68. Tomorrow night it will rain, and the following day it might get up into the 20's. Everybody here has allergies, if you never had them before, you'll find them here!

Lots of people have left Saint Louis who grew up here, lived other places for 10 or 15 years, and came back. many people who love Saint Louis are from somewhere else.
Including a man I know from Chicago, and a man from Hawaii, and several folk from Oklahoma. (People from Kansas go back to Kansas, though).

If I decide to go someplace else, I'll have to come back to visit the things I would miss: the Shakespeare Festival, camping in the Fall,canoeing the Meramec, The City Museum, the Art Museum and the Zoo, my favorite coffee house, my massage therapist, and my hairstyling guru- and my very good friends.

cool , then you already know about savannah. don't come here. it sucks. nothing changes here. traffic sucks. the emos are moving in. lots of organic produce and great growing weather for most things but after 16 years i avoid most of the people because everyone is in your business. the cops can't catch the criminals but if i ride a bike at 10:30 pm i'm getting pulled over for sure. yeah , pull over a guy with spina bifida riding a bike! nevermind the wannabe gangster kids greaking into all the houses in my neighborhood! sorry , i saw savannah in your description and it hit a nerve! the school system is beyond horrible. if i graduated from here i would jump off a bridge! you can get a more valid diploma fron a cereal box! anyway sorry about the rant. i hope you find happiness somewhere. take care!

I might prove my ignorance here, but am I wrong in assuming that me obtaining livable work will be difficult if not impossible given that I'm not a citizen? I know NZ is a little more flexible on this.

Costa Rica and Trinidad were on our short list, too (and Mexico was our first choice, before they started sewing peoples faces on soccer balls), but one of us is still going to require a 'brick and mortar' job of some sort.

Mate just burn all of your papers and jump on a people smuggler boat and tell they Aussie Gubmint that you are a refugee. You will get a wage, a car, a house, whatever you want.

oh, another downside to st. Louis. Tornadoes. we have tornadoes. We had some today. although, tornadoes in December is a tad unusual. Hail in February? yeah, thats happened.

what kind of work do you need ?

what kind of work do you need ?

The kind that pays. :)

If you mean in my field, then it's in the motorsport business. More specifically in race facility management and marketing. My former career (and life) was in commercial production (radio, television, Web spots). But I'm almost six years removed from the latter, so I'm rusty.

I've been in 'management' (can you call it that with a staff of three?) for the past five years.

there is a lovely little stretch on the northwest Florida coast between Pensacola and Fort Walton and about 25 miles insland called Milton, Florida...good schools small town with access to shopping, beaches, warm weather...very pretty place...lots of available land there for not a bad price...don't know about the job market there but it is typical with this economy...

this is just my opinion, but if I were to move from Fort Worth, I sure wouldn't go north because of the shorter growing season...it would definitely have to be south....

Sounds like being from Mexican descent here in AZ. Maybe CA is a better example. I would love to see Australia.

Mate just burn all of your papers and jump on a people smuggler boat and tell they Aussie Gubmint that you are a refugee. You will get a wage, a car, a house, whatever you want.

Omaha Nebraska and some of it's outlying 'burbs are a pretty good place to live. Papillion in particular has been ranked in the top five in the past few Money Magazines best places to live rankings. Schools, lack of crime, economy all rate high. If you could handle the weather in Kansas City then you would have no problem here. Great place to grow chillies too.

Top 100 in 2008 and number three in 2009. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2009/snapshots/PL3138295.html

Back