• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hendrix1326's Glog for 2012, yay!

Okay, so I have been incognito here on the forums for the last couple of months. Been distracted by video games, working on house projects, etc. Anyway, I decided last week that once I laid the vinyl flooring in my laundry room that I would start germinating my seeds! I have settled on 20 varieties for this year, with (as many as) 50 plants, some of which I will keep at my mother's house, since she has a big garden space that won't all be used this year. I have the following varieties planted in Jiffy pellets in a "Germination Station" heating mat. I represented the "Big 5" species (Chinense, Annuum, Baccatum, Pubescens, Frutescens) with at least one variety, and also have a couple wilds (C.Lanceolatum, and one called "Tio") to round it out. Here is the list, with how many of each one I am growing in bold parentheses at the end:

Chinense:
01-Yellow Bullet Habanero (similar to Peruvian White, but with a distinct canary yellow color) (2)
02-Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2)
03-Red Biquinho Iracena (3)
04-CGN-21500 (2)
05-Red Aribibi Gusano (F1) (2)
06-White Bhut Jolokia (3)
07-Red 7-Pot (2)
08-Turtle's Claw (Aribibi Gusano) (2)
09-Zavory (3)

Annuum:
10-Red Pimiento (3)
11-Monkey Face (3)
12-Chicken Heart (2)
13-Purple UFO (2)
14-Hungarian Wax Cross (Unknown F1) (1, only got one seed!)

Baccatum:
15-Hot Lemon Drop (Aji Lemon) (3)
16-Bishop's Crown (3)

Pubescens:
17-Red Rocoto (3)

Frutescens:
18-CGN-22184 (3)

Lanceolatum:
19-Lanceolatum (Unknown Designation) (3)

Unknown Species:
20-Tio (3)

Here are the initial pictures of my embryonic grow rig, which will be overhauled by the time the seeds sprout:

http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0242.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0243.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0244.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0245.jpg

By the time the seeds are seedlings, I plan on having all of the rest of my supplies, which includes nursery pots, convertible heat lamps, thermostat, heater, oscillating fans, pulleys, reflective materials, the whole shebangabang.

I also wanted to thank the following THP members for either trading, SASBE-ing, or giving me seeds which are among the ones I am growing this year:

cmpman1974 (Biquinho, Purple UFO)
2gods (Aribibi Red, CGN21500)
paulmtonkin (Red 7, Monkey Face, Turtle's Claw)
Pulpiteer (Hot Lemon Drop)
ZanderSpice (Rocoto, CGN22184)
DudeThtsBad (Tio)
aropupu (Lanceolatum)
S.S. Tupperware (Bishop's Crown)
dshlogg (White Bhut)
melissa77754 (Chicken Heart)

Also, thanks to whomever sent me the Zavory, I couldn't remember or find any trace of who it might be, but I know it was one of the fine folks here on The Hot Pepper. Also, thanks to HH Farm on eBay, who was one of the shining beacons of hope for Chili-Heads on that abyss, and provided me with delicious peppers of all kinds, and to whom I owe thanks for the Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habs, as well as the Yellow Bullet Habs, among others.

Stay tuned, everyone, I will have dynamic updates over the course of the year on this thread, right up until final harvests and overwintering processes in probably October. Thanks for checking this thread out!

-Karl

Time for a little update-ski! I have officially upgraded my grow room to a table-less adventure. I stripped away the Mylar, moved everything off the table, re-taped the Mylar onto the walls, and lengthened the chains on the lights so they were the same relative height as before. I have also repotted my (3) Red Pimiento, and (2) Bird's Eye plants into larger containers, since they were getting unwieldy and really growing fast!

Still no sprouts on my new planting, but I did see a couple of hooks when I did a little digging, so they should be emerging within a couple of days. A few of my plants look like they're being overwatered, and too much fan, since the leaves are either crinkling up a bit, or drooping. The droop may be caused by the light, as well, but I'm not really sure.

Repotted my bigger Aji Cito, as well as both Purple Cayennes, burying the stems to encourage new root growth. My PhotoBucket album has been weeded through, to eliminate the staggering number of pictures. I kept a select few of the progress spanning the entire operation, but too many of the pictures were of sprouts, and too many seedling update pictures. I could get lost if I get too overzealous taking pictures of every plant! There are (2) sets of update pictures, one from the 18th and one from yesterday (22nd). Enjoy:

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Hendrix1326/

One little tidbit I forgot to add was that I have now had flower buds forming on one of each of my Orange Cheyenne and Red Pimiento. The Cheyenne had a cluster of 5-6 flower buds come out on the same node, and the Pimiento had 4, I believe. I accidentally pinched off a leaf of the Pimiento when I was attempting to take off the buds, but it is my biggest plant, so I think it will recover just fine. Crazy that the plants are trying to flower a month and a half in!

Well said, Karl. Watching the process play out has deep and
significant meaning for those who like to put their hands in the
dirt. Your grow list is evolving from insane to out of control!
Just kidding. It is hard to resist planting something with a name
like Red Biquinho Iracema! Good luck as you start moving
into your Spring/summer grow season!

Well said, Karl. Watching the process play out has deep and
significant meaning for those who like to put their hands in the
dirt. Your grow list is evolving from insane to out of control!
Just kidding. It is hard to resist planting something with a name
like Red Biquinho Iracema! Good luck as you start moving
into your Spring/summer grow season!

Thanks for the encouragement, Paul! I sure am enjoying the ton of learning I'm doing. They are all so different, but it's a great challenge to my perseverance.

In an update-related matter, I notice that a few of my plants' leaves are crinkled a little too much, which I trace back to overwatering. To add credence to this notion, I noticed a few plants that have little water-blister-looking bumps on them, which in my research leads to edema, a fluid-retention problem brought on by overwatering, as well as calcium deficiency.

Tonight, I also potted up my (3) Hot Lemon Drops, both Orange Cheyennes, both Purple UFOs, my larger Jamaican Hot Chocolate, the larger TC07246, and the larger C01225. More pictures to come, and a video in a few days for my weekly update!

those orange cheyenne are quick! and they wont grow too big! plant should hit the 1.5 feet tall size and stop there....
they are very productive! (very nice on the patio in a beautifull pot)

Yes, they are quite nice. One seems to be a little more prolific with the foliage, but both are looking quite healthy, with rich green leaves. Thanks again for the seeds, I'd only barely heard of that pepper when you sent me the seeds. Paulmtonkin I believe did a review of them, and said they were tasty, so I'm looking forward to testing them out this summer!

To add, Paul, the Biquinho I tried last year, and they are delicious C.Chinense with no heat. One of my favorites so far, and I hope that the plants are productive. The pods only get to be about an inch long, and are really pointy, like upside-down raindrops.

Okay, time for another update! I just finished potting up both Aji Cito, both Bishop's Crown, both Red 7-Pot, and all (3) Tio. I am fast running out of room, and I am only 1/3 done with repotting what I already have. Oh, I have some new sprouts, too! Both Apache have sprouted, and the cotyledons emerged, so I planted them both in Solo cups earlier this morning, as well. That's 75 seedlings in cups or pots now! WOW!

The other new sprouts are: the 2nd Kori Sitakame, (1) Tobago Seasoning, both other Cantina Yellow, the Tasmanian Red, the 3rd Orange Manzano, both Hungarian Black, and both Unknown Chocolate.

I am also taking steps to combat the dreaded pepper EDEMA!!! In examining my plants this morning, I have discovered a grim fact: a lot more of my seedlings are showing signs of edema than I first thought. My C.Baccatums seem to be suffering more, except the Hot Lemon Drops. Both Aji Cito, and both Bishop's Crown are a little ill at the moment, but I will nurse them back to health with a little extra Cal-Mag with each feeding, and less watering!

My Tio, Cheyenne, Bird's Eye, Pimiento, Peach Bhut, and a few others have a few bumps on the underside of the leaves, so I put the heater back on, and bumped up the fan to the next setting to get better airflow and encourage some more water vapor to be carried away so the soil moisture can evaporate more quickly. That being said, I will now have to be meticulous in checking each plant to address these types of concerns before they become serious, and I feel that I have done a reasonably good job so far of doing so considering my novicehood as a chili grower.

Okay, here is the updated germination list:

C.Chinense:
*1) Trinidad Scorpion Morouga (1 of 2)
2) White Pearl Habanero (0 of 1)
*3) Cantina Yellow (3 of 3)
*4) Congo Orange (1 of 2)
5) Orange Amazon (0 of 2)
6) Tobago Seasoning (1 of 2)
7) Tasmanian Red #1 (1 of 1)
8) Unknown Large Yellow Pumpkin Habanero (0 of 2)
9) Unknown, possibly Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (2 of 2)

C. Annuum:
*10) Kori Sitakame (2 of 2)
11) Extra Hot Hatch (0 of 2)
12) Hungarian Black Hot Wax (2 of 2)
13) NuMex Twilight (0 of 2)
**14) Apache (2 of 2)
15) Pero Orange Sweet (1 of 2)
16) Anaheim (0 of 2)

C. Frutescens:
17) Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper (0 of 2)

C. Pubescens:
*18) Orange Manzano (2 of 2)

Wilds/C. Species:
19) Pimenta de Neyde (0 of 2)

So, running total now is 86 out of 104, since I planted some experimental fresh seeds that I had just harvested. I got some Anaheim seeds out of a pod I got at work (Wal-Mart), and from some Pero brand Sweet Mini Peppers, the orange variety. I wanted to see how quickly they germinate compared to dried seeds. So far, only (1) out of (4) has sprouted, but either way, cool!

On another note, I brought up a few of my plants from my basement from last year's grow. I took up one of each type, except for my Ristra, which I will be fetching probably sometime tonight. I have the following stumps in Solo cups in the hope that I will be able to revive at least some:

Chocolate Bell
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hot Portugal
Padron
Caribbean Red Habanero
Tabasco
Serrano
Habanero
Super Chili
Poinsettia

Hopefully, some will revive, although with my present grow operation, that could bite me in the ass! In any case, I am excited to be moving forward, and trying to learn constructively how to best grow each type, and build upon that knowledge for the future growing seasons, or even later in this one!

Okay, it was a productive day, and I got a bunch of my plants potted up to bigger containers to encourage more root growth, and as an extension of that, more nutrient uptake and less edema! Of course, I'm banking on the increased room leading to more even distribution of moisture so the edema plague that hit my plants this past week will pass, and I can get back to more healthy and explosive growth!

In addition, I also took the precaution of raising my lights a bit so the plants' leaves stop curling down, which was my self diagnosis for the problem, but based upon what I've read other veterans post here on the boards.

In total, I potted up the following plants into larger (1.5qt to ~1gallon) containers: (2) Biquinho, all (3) White Bhut, both White Fatali, the Scorpion Morouga, Baker's Unknown Chinense, a NagaBon, the Cantina Yellow, a CGN21500 Chinense, all (3) Red Pimiento (even with edema, they got HUGER!!!), both C04392 Chacoense, and both Bird's Eye (had to repot again!).

I also peeked in on my germination unit and saw that my Tasmanian Red #1's cotyledons had fully emerged, so I put that into a Solo cup and labeled it. I will have more pictures coming up soon, and tomorrow is update video day! I had my wife order me a portable greenhouse off of Amazon.com today so I can get a second grow room set up in my basement, since I am fast running out of room as you will see tomorrow! To augment this room, I will need a couple more light fixtures, a timer, thermometer, and fan. I have a portable radiant space heater, and some extra Mylar, which I don't know if I'll need or not. The plants should be fine for a couple of weeks or so, until I can get everything. There is only so much extra cash each paycheck, and I need to be frugal!

Here is the one picture I took today, which was intended originally for a thread that Spicegeist started on the differences between Brain Strain and Scorpion Morouga. It is my Trinidad Scorpion Morouga, which I potted up into a 2qt. pitcher (nice deep roots, f***in' smart!):

3-27-12-TrinidadScorpionMorouga.jpg

Great too see atleast one Tobago sprouted :)

Yes, Stefan, I was pretty stoked about it! I hope that it grows well, and I can get some sweet pods from it! Let me know when you get your first White Jalapeno sprout.

Nice update, Karl. Looks great! I kinda give up on the White Jalapeno's, I sowed like +20 seeds and none sprouted. Have enough plants anyway and even got 6 seedlings now of the unknown chinense variety ;)

Looking great Karl! Always good to see how the Lemon Drops are doing and it'll be nice to see them producing pods!

Yes, they are quite healthy, except for the slight edema they suffered last week :( Fortunately, I caught it before they got really bad, so they are doing well.

Nice update, Karl. Looks great! I kinda give up on the White Jalapeno's, I sowed like +20 seeds and none sprouted. Have enough plants anyway and even got 6 seedlings now of the unknown chinense variety ;)

Sorry to hear about the White Jalapenos :( I could send you some more seeds of those, I don't remember how many I sent at first, but I have plenty left. I should try and germinate a couple just to see if any will go. Otherwise, I may end up pitching them in the trash...

Let me know if there are any other seeds you may be looking for, and I could ship you out another parcel.

Good to hear that the Chinense are doing well, hope you get a lot of pods from them!

Thanks, guys, for checking in!

cant wait to see some Orange cheyenne ! they should be ready before a lot of other since they are made for colder zone!

and your seeds that you named "Carrot Hab" is that the same hab as in your unidentified hab pods?

Thanks Karl!

David

cant wait to see some Orange cheyenne ! they should be ready before a lot of other since they are made for colder zone!

and your seeds that you named "Carrot Hab" is that the same hab as in your unidentified hab pods?

Thanks Karl!

David

Did I send you Carrot Habanero seeds? If so, no they are not the same as the Unknowns I sent to Stefan. The Carrot Habs were from pods I got at a grocery store a couple of years ago. The Unknown Chinense I got from a place down in Texas back in February. The Carrot Habs are shaped more like the Mulo de Tiro, and the Unknown are shaped more like a gemstone, almost.

Yes, I am looking forward to the Cheyennes, as well. They were the first to put out flower buds, and I have a few more that I will be pinching off once they get just a tad bigger, since I don't want to accidentally pinch off leaves!

dont pinch buds dude! they will give you plenty of peppers 2 or 3 harvests!
they throw peppers in wave... liuke first wave 10 peppers, once ready and you cut them, 1 or 2 weeks later a second wave, and so on...

the plants stay pretty small but are Very prolific! let snature do it's thing!
hahahah (Just imagine when they will be out in the real sun with heat all around!)

dont pinch buds dude! they will give you plenty of peppers 2 or 3 harvests!
they throw peppers in wave... liuke first wave 10 peppers, once ready and you cut them, 1 or 2 weeks later a second wave, and so on...

the plants stay pretty small but are Very prolific! let snature do it's thing!
hahahah (Just imagine when they will be out in the real sun with heat all around!)

I gotta admit, I'm a little apprehensive about letting the pods form while the plant is still so small. I would like to optimize the plant now, and when it is a bit larger, I can get a proportionately larger harvest. I'll keep you posted on new developments with that one, David!

And a new update this morning:

I just potted up a few of my newer sprouts into Solo cups, since the cotyledons have fully emerged. I potted up a Pero Orange Sweet, Cantina Yellow, Hungarian Black Hot Wax, and an Unknown (possibly Chocolate Bhut...!).

New sprouts this morning include: the second Tobago Seasoning, and an Anaheim.

C.Chinense:
2) White Pearl Habanero (0 of 1)
**3) Cantina Yellow (3 of 3)
**4) Congo Orange (2 of 2)
5) Orange Amazon (0 of 2)
*6) Tobago Seasoning (2 of 2)
*7) Tasmanian Red #1 (1 of 1)
8) Unknown Large Yellow Pumpkin Habanero (0 of 2)
*9) Unknown, possibly Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (2 of 2)

C. Annuum:
*10) Kori Sitakame (2 of 2)
11) Extra Hot Hatch (0 of 2)
*12) Hungarian Black Hot Wax (2 of 2)
13) NuMex Twilight (0 of 2)
**14) Apache (2 of 2)
*15) Pero Orange Sweet (1 of 2)
16) Anaheim (1 of 2)

C. Frutescens:
17) Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper (0 of 2)

C. Pubescens:
*18) Orange Manzano (2 of 2)

Wilds/C. Species:
19) Pimenta de Neyde (0 of 2)

So, we're up to 89 out of 104 that have sprouted, or are lush plants! Not bad, and we'll give it another week or two to see if any others sprout.

That's okay, Karl. I'm good for now. You send me alot of seeds, but I still have my doubts if they are viable. Maybe later I will try another batch but for now I wanna focus on the plants I have which is around 150 by the looks of it. Good too see the second Tobago Seasoning sprouted also.

That's okay, Karl. I'm good for now. You send me alot of seeds, but I still have my doubts if they are viable. Maybe later I will try another batch but for now I wanna focus on the plants I have which is around 150 by the looks of it. Good too see the second Tobago Seasoning sprouted also.

Cool, you got a big operation going, too! Speaking of which, I planted it up into a Solo cup this morning! Do they grow quickly, or are they a slow one? I know that Chinense tend to be slower to get going, but some of mine are defying that generalization, such as the Peach Bhut Jolokia and the Cantina Yellow.

On another update note, I have four new sprouts this morning. Both Pimenta de Neyde, one Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper, and an Orange Amazon (which hasn't emerged, but I found the hook after a little rooting around:) ) I also potted up my 3rd Cantina Yellow into the Solo Cup.

Here is the updated germination chart for today:

C.Chinense:
***2) Cantina Yellow (3 of 3)
**3) Congo Orange (2 of 2)
4) Orange Amazon (1 of 2)
**5) Tobago Seasoning (2 of 2)
*6) Tasmanian Red #1 (1 of 1)
7) Unknown Large Yellow Pumpkin Habanero (0 of 2)
*8) Unknown, possibly Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (2 of 2)

C. Annuum:
*9) Kori Sitakame (2 of 2)
10) Extra Hot Hatch (0 of 2)
*11) Hungarian Black Hot Wax (2 of 2)
12) NuMex Twilight (0 of 2)
**13) Apache (2 of 2)
*14) Pero Orange Sweet (1 of 2)
15) Anaheim (1 of 2)

C. Frutescens:
16) Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper (1 of 2)

C. Pubescens:
*17) Orange Manzano (2 of 2)

Wilds/C. Species:
18) Pimenta de Neyde (2 of 2)

On a final note, I decided to try a little new strategy I learned from a gentleman on YouTube (Praxxus55712). It is called topping, and you basically prune the top part of the pepper plant, which encourages bushier growth and a sturdier stem. I snipped the top off of most of my bigger plants, but I didn't go crazy with how much I pruned. From the videos I've seen of his green thumbin', I trust his strategy, and when I do my update this week, you will all get to see the early results of this tactic!

Okay, a little update for today, as I wait in anticipation for my greenhouse to arrive. Once that gets here, I will begin setting it up in my basement and once my wife gets home tonight with the rest of my supplies from Menard's, I will be on my way to completing my second grow area so my 90 plants can kick back and relax a little more comfortably as they get bigger.

New sprouts today include my 2nd Anaheim and 2nd Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper. I potted up all (3) Red Rocoto, and my Orange Manzano. In addition, I potted up both Yellow Orange Bird Peppers, an Anaheim, and the other Kori Sitakame into Solo cups. I also overhauled my germination unit today, and removed the seeds that were rotten. So, having removed a bunch, I now only have (5) Jiffy pellets left, of which (4) have sprouted. Here, I brought back my comprehensive list of totals for each variety, both for germination (X of X...), transplantation (marked with asterisks *), etc. Here is the list, and to note RED=all sprouted, and DARK ORANGE=mostly sprouted:

C.Chinense (40):
**01) Yellow Bullet Habanero (2 of 2)
**02) Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2 of 2)
***03) Red Biquinho Iracema (3 of 3)
**04) CGN21500 (2 of 2)
**05) Red Aribibi Gusano (2 of 2)
***06) White Bhut Jolokia (3 of 3)
**07) Red 7-Pot (2 of 2)
**08) Aribibi Gusano "Turtle's Claw" (2 of 2)
***09) Zavory (3 of 3)
*10) Baker's Unknown #2 (1 of 1)
*11) Trinidad Scorpion Morouga (1 of 1)
**12) Peach Bhut Jolokia (2 of 2)
***13) Cantina Yellow (3 of 3)
**14) Congo Orange (2 of 2)

**15) White Fatali (2 of 2)
**16) NagaBon (2 of 2)
17) Orange Amazon (1 of 1)
**18) Tobago Seasoning (2 of 2)
*19) Tasmanian Red #1 (1 of 1)
*20) Unknown, possibly Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (2 of 2)

C. Annuum (22):
***21) Red Pimiento (3 of 3)
***22) Monkey Face (3 of 3)
**23) Purple UFO (2 of 2)
*24) Orange Elephant's Trunk (1 of 1)
**25) Purple Cayenne (2 of 2)
**26) Orange Cheyenne (2 of 2)
**27) Kori Sitakame (2 of 2)
*28) Hungarian Black Hot Wax (1 of 1)
**29) Apache (2 of 2)

*30) Pero Orange Sweet (1 of 2)
*31) Anaheim (2 of 2)

Wilds/C. Species (11):
***32) Tio (3 of 3)
**33) C. Chacoense C04392 (2 of 2)
**34) C. Eximium C01225 (2 of 2)
**35) C. Species TC07246 (2 of 2)
**36) Pimenta de Neyde (2 of 2)

C. Frutescens (9):
***37) CGN22184 (3 of 3)
**38) Bird's Eye (2 of 2)
**39) Peruvian Purple (2 of 2)
**40) Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper (2 of 2)

C.Baccatum (8):
***41) Hot Lemon Drop (3 of 3)
**42) Bishop's Crown (2 of 2)
*43) Aji Crystal (1 of 1)
**44) Aji Cito (2 of 2)

C. Pubescens (5):
***45) Red Rocoto (3 of 3)
*46) Orange Manzano (2 of 2)

As you can see, most of my seeds, once I took away the rotten ones, have now sprouted! All in all, I have only (1) seed left to make itself known, and that is the second Pero Orange Sweet. In rooting around today, however, I saw that it has emerged a little bit from the seed coat, so for all intents and purposes, every seed has now germinated. However, I won't credit that last one until it makes it above ground. So, my final tally for different varieties is (46), and with (95) total potential plants (94 of which are seedlings at the moment :) ).

Another additional thing to add is that I am trying a little experiment. Stefan (meatfreak) received some White Jalapeno seeds from me in a trade we did last month, and he had poor success germinating them, since I dried them in a food dehydrator that I didn't realize got so hot when it was running. I sent him many seeds to compensate, but still no luck. So, I am trying an experiment to see if I can get any seeds to germinate. I took an empty plastic baby food tub with a lid, poured water in, laid a paper towel inside, and poured probably 50-100 seeds and covered them. After this, I put the tub into my other heating mat and surrounded it with Jiffy pellets that I freed up today from the non-germinating/rotten seeds, in order to insulate the tub and increase heat within it. We shall see in a week or two if I get any sprouts. If so, I will have (47) types of peppers, and approx. 96-100 plants.

More updates in days to come, and possibly some new pictures tonight or tomorrow, depending on how much progress I make with getting my greenhouse set up in my basement!

Back