• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hendrix1326's Glog for 2012, yay!

Okay, so I have been incognito here on the forums for the last couple of months. Been distracted by video games, working on house projects, etc. Anyway, I decided last week that once I laid the vinyl flooring in my laundry room that I would start germinating my seeds! I have settled on 20 varieties for this year, with (as many as) 50 plants, some of which I will keep at my mother's house, since she has a big garden space that won't all be used this year. I have the following varieties planted in Jiffy pellets in a "Germination Station" heating mat. I represented the "Big 5" species (Chinense, Annuum, Baccatum, Pubescens, Frutescens) with at least one variety, and also have a couple wilds (C.Lanceolatum, and one called "Tio") to round it out. Here is the list, with how many of each one I am growing in bold parentheses at the end:

Chinense:
01-Yellow Bullet Habanero (similar to Peruvian White, but with a distinct canary yellow color) (2)
02-Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2)
03-Red Biquinho Iracena (3)
04-CGN-21500 (2)
05-Red Aribibi Gusano (F1) (2)
06-White Bhut Jolokia (3)
07-Red 7-Pot (2)
08-Turtle's Claw (Aribibi Gusano) (2)
09-Zavory (3)

Annuum:
10-Red Pimiento (3)
11-Monkey Face (3)
12-Chicken Heart (2)
13-Purple UFO (2)
14-Hungarian Wax Cross (Unknown F1) (1, only got one seed!)

Baccatum:
15-Hot Lemon Drop (Aji Lemon) (3)
16-Bishop's Crown (3)

Pubescens:
17-Red Rocoto (3)

Frutescens:
18-CGN-22184 (3)

Lanceolatum:
19-Lanceolatum (Unknown Designation) (3)

Unknown Species:
20-Tio (3)

Here are the initial pictures of my embryonic grow rig, which will be overhauled by the time the seeds sprout:

http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0242.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0243.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0244.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0245.jpg

By the time the seeds are seedlings, I plan on having all of the rest of my supplies, which includes nursery pots, convertible heat lamps, thermostat, heater, oscillating fans, pulleys, reflective materials, the whole shebangabang.

I also wanted to thank the following THP members for either trading, SASBE-ing, or giving me seeds which are among the ones I am growing this year:

cmpman1974 (Biquinho, Purple UFO)
2gods (Aribibi Red, CGN21500)
paulmtonkin (Red 7, Monkey Face, Turtle's Claw)
Pulpiteer (Hot Lemon Drop)
ZanderSpice (Rocoto, CGN22184)
DudeThtsBad (Tio)
aropupu (Lanceolatum)
S.S. Tupperware (Bishop's Crown)
dshlogg (White Bhut)
melissa77754 (Chicken Heart)

Also, thanks to whomever sent me the Zavory, I couldn't remember or find any trace of who it might be, but I know it was one of the fine folks here on The Hot Pepper. Also, thanks to HH Farm on eBay, who was one of the shining beacons of hope for Chili-Heads on that abyss, and provided me with delicious peppers of all kinds, and to whom I owe thanks for the Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habs, as well as the Yellow Bullet Habs, among others.

Stay tuned, everyone, I will have dynamic updates over the course of the year on this thread, right up until final harvests and overwintering processes in probably October. Thanks for checking this thread out!

-Karl

Cool, Karl. Looking forward too your results. The unknown is a slow grower and as you can see I overwatered it :banghead: but first true leaves are forming.

IMAG0559.jpg

Cool, nice looking seedlings! They are purple on the stems, and do I see a little purple tint to the leaves, as well? Either way, they look like they're off to a good start!

I am just ducking in for a moment, here, and then I have to clean up my son's dinner mess :*( After that, I am off to work again on my greenhouse, which is assembled. I just need to get everything set up in it, and then transfer my Annuums, Pubescenses, and Wilds down there, since I figure they'll do better in the cooler basement, even though it's in a greenhouse, the surrounding atmosphere and energy transference is lower than the upstairs. We shall see how that pans out over the next few weeks!

Okay, late update time! I just finished about 15 minutes ago. Got both light fixtures hung, some Mylar hung and laid on the floor on top of a blanket, a space heater, my thermometers, and a fan into the greenhouse. Ran extension cords from the outlet beneath my breaker box, hooked up a power strip to one, and the light timer on another. Heater and fan are plugged into the strip, and the lights (obviously!) are hooked up to the timer.

After that was all set up, I set about the daunting task of transferring all of my C.Annuums, C.Pubescenses, and Wild/C.Species into my basement from the second floor, which was tedious but worth it. Once those were taken out of the upstairs grow room, I rearranged the C.Chinense, C.Baccatum, and C.Frutescens so they could breathe a bit more, and arranged them so it is easier to access all of them, as well as the germination mat in the back end of the room :D

On a side note, one of my Apache seedlings took a nosedive off the back of the basement stairs into a laundry basket, but I found it and it was not visibly harmed, except the roots were loosened from the peat pellet! I then tipped it over again once it was in the greenhouse, so I hope it will be okay after all that abuse...I even kissed the plant and apologized a few times for hurting it :(

Once I arranged those seedlings all into the greenhouse, I activated the timer. We'll see how that Apache is doing in the morning, but I have confidence that it will recover :) More to come on Wednesday, when I will be posting my weekly update video, yes!!! :D

Cool, nice looking seedlings! They are purple on the stems, and do I see a little purple tint to the leaves, as well? Either way, they look like they're off to a good start!

I am just ducking in for a moment, here, and then I have to clean up my son's dinner mess :*( After that, I am off to work again on my greenhouse, which is assembled. I just need to get everything set up in it, and then transfer my Annuums, Pubescenses, and Wilds down there, since I figure they'll do better in the cooler basement, even though it's in a greenhouse, the surrounding atmosphere and energy transference is lower than the upstairs. We shall see how that pans out over the next few weeks!

Yeah, the purple is from the light. When they get bigger that will change back into green again. Like I said I overwatered them also so that probably ain't helping either :( but I got 4 other seedlings also that are a bit smaller than these. Looking forward too seeing your greenhouse :)

Your grow is going great guns, Hendrix! That list of germinated seeds keeps getting more filled out! Pinching s a good strategy for bushy plants. One thing I found out this year is some varieties back bud better than others. I pinched a Bishop's Crown at the fourth node, and only the top nodes sent out branches. On the other hand, Serranos and Chiltepins seem to push out a branch at every node. Some of my best results came from pinching at the first true leaf node on a Yellow Aji.

Your grow is going great guns, Hendrix! That list of germinated seeds keeps getting more filled out! Pinching s a good strategy for bushy plants. One thing I found out this year is some varieties back bud better than others. I pinched a Bishop's Crown at the fourth node, and only the top nodes sent out branches. On the other hand, Serranos and Chiltepins seem to push out a branch at every node. Some of my best results came from pinching at the first true leaf node on a Yellow Aji.

Yes, I am quickly learning that not all peppers are the same in their habits. I pruned a leggy C.Chacoense (a wild species) and it's now throwing out a ton of new growth. What was wild was that they would grow a centimeter or so, and throw out one leaf at a time. The plants got to be about 4-5 inches tall and so I topped them. Now, all the leaf nodes are pushing out triple sets of leaves and they're growing fast. I'm glad that I did it, too, since those little babies were one of the edema-stricken plants, and it's well on its way to being a super-healthy plant!

Some of my C.Chinense are just self-bushing, but I still pruned them and they are fluffing out like crazy! Some C.Annuums are doing that, too, but many aren't responding as rapidly to the topping as I'd hoped for. They are still getting over the edema shock, so I think some were just not as prepared for the pruning. Either way, the plants are still growing, albeit a little slower in some cases, and still looking pretty good.

On another note, I have my weekly update video to unveil, for those who haven't already seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQNTPjRhn0&list=UUBeCLFnBO_IkpdQY0DVPyvQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Just figured I'd add a little update this evening. I just got done checking in on all the babies, and they appear to be doing well. I had some lingering edema problems with my smaller TC 07246, as well as some on the Pimiento.

I have also gotten a lot better at observing when the new leaves show signs of calcium/magnesium deficiency, and also to water a little bit at a time in more frequent intervals. That being said, working a full time job, it is a daily task to look over all 90+ plants and water if need be. Most plants appear to not want to be watered very often, such as my C.Chacoense, which is bone dry in the dirt department, and isn't wilted at all. Speaking of the Chacoense, it is responding very well to pruning, and has shot out tons of new leaves in the past week or so.

As far as C.Annuums go, my Pimientos are finally starting to bounce back from not only the shock of edema, but also they did not like being pruned at all. They finally threw out a ton of new little leaves, so I have a feeling that once those bush out, the plant will get huge again pretty quickly. My Bird's Eyes (totally an Annuum by the growth) responded very well to pruning, and one in particular is now my biggest plant (not biggest leaves, those are still on the Pimientos :) )
My Kori Sitakame is now flowering, and was another one that loved being pruned. I found a little bug on it, and I think I squashed it. New seedlings are doing well, and the Apaches are growing the fastest (even the one I dropped :D )

The C.Pubescens are still growing, albeit very slowly. The Manzano's leaves are doming over, which I think is too much nitrogen, so I think I should water it with plain water next time. Also, the leaves are a little thin and have a little lighter green in the leaf spines.

The wild plants are doing well, too. The C.Eximium #1 is yet another that loved the shears, and the second one is fast catching up in height. The Tios are bushing out fantastically, and I look forward to those growing some cool little peppers this summer!

Upstairs, my hotter room which houses my Baccatum, Frutescens, and Chinense, as well as my 3 tomato seedlings, is doing well, too. My Peruvian Purples are just now hitting their stride, and bushing out like machines. The CGN 22184s are finally getting over their early illness, and are getting big fast, and throwing out new leaves constantly.

My Aji Citos are responding differently to pruning. The first one is shooting out a bunch of new leaves now, but the second one, which is just as tall, is a bit slower. Bishop's Crowns are still edema-shocked, and growing slowly. I know that Baccatums grow more slowly than even Chinense a lot of the time, so I remain vigilant that they will come out strong in the end. The Hot Lemon Drops are doing the best, and they loved the snip-snip treatment. They are very tall, and getting very bushy quickly, but the leaves are a little curled, so I need to hold off watering a bit.. I hadn't realized how much so until I got down on my butt this evening and examined my plants up close. I need to remember to do that more often. Aji Crystal is looking solid, but is a pretty slow grower after its rough childhood. Leaves are nice and glossy, more like a Chinense, but it is sturdy and tall, with well-formed leaves.

Chinense, my largest plant volume, are doing wonderfully. My Turtle's Claws are so ridiculously self-bushing, that I probably didn't need to prune them, but I did, and WOW! I will feature them more in this coming week's video, 'cause they are FLUFFY! Also, my Yellow Bullet Habs are there, too. My Peach Bhuts are really fanning out and throwing out tons of foliage, although the larger one needed some calcium, since the new leaves were a little curly. My Jamaican Hot Chocolate and White Bhuts, White Fatalis, Red 7-Pots, and my larger NagaBon are really growing out fast, and I should really pot up some of my seedlings, such as the Zavory, soon! I just need to hold off 'til payday so I can pick up some more transitional potting containers for everything.

I could probably keep going on, but I will cut this one short. Trying to do a lot really gets me excited to keep learning!

Here is the final germination list, which is 91 plants. I have every one in Solo cups, and many didn't make it along the way. However, compared to how many I still have, I consider it a winning season! Okay, each species has its tally for total plants, and here it go:

C.Chinense (38):
**01) Yellow Bullet Habanero (2 of 2)
**02) Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2 of 2)
***03) Red Biquinho Iracema (3 of 3)
**04) CGN21500 (2 of 2)
**05) Red Aribibi Gusano (2 of 2)
***06) White Bhut Jolokia (3 of 3)
**07) Red 7-Pot (2 of 2)
**08) Aribibi Gusano "Turtle's Claw" (2 of 2)
***09) Zavory (3 of 3)
*10) Baker's Unknown #2 (1 of 1)
*11) Trinidad Scorpion Morouga (1 of 1)
**12) Peach Bhut Jolokia (2 of 2)
***13) Cantina Yellow (3 of 3)
*14) Congo Orange (1 of 1)

**15) White Fatali (2 of 2)
**16) NagaBon (2 of 2)
17) Orange Amazon (1 of 1)
**18) Tobago Seasoning (2 of 2)
*19) Tasmanian Red #1 (1 of 1)
*20) Unknown, possibly Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (1 of 1)

C. Annuum (23):
***21) Red Pimiento (3 of 3)
***22) Monkey Face (3 of 3)
**23) Purple UFO (2 of 2)
*24) Orange Elephant's Trunk (1 of 1)
**25) Purple Cayenne (2 of 2)
**26) Orange Cheyenne (2 of 2)
**27) Kori Sitakame (2 of 2)
*28) Hungarian Black Hot Wax (1 of 1)
**29) Apache (2 of 2)

*30) Pero Orange Sweet (1 of 1)
*31) Anaheim (2 of 2)
**32) Bird's Eye (2 of 2)

Wilds/C. Species (11):
***33) Tio (3 of 3)
**34) C. Chacoense C04392 (2 of 2)
**35) C. Eximium C01225 (2 of 2)
**36) C. Species TC07246 (2 of 2)
**37) Pimenta de Neyde (2 of 2)

C. Frutescens (9):
***38) CGN22184 (3 of 3)
**39) Peruvian Purple (2 of 2)
**40) Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper (2 of 2)

C.Baccatum (8):
***41) Hot Lemon Drop (3 of 3)
**42) Bishop's Crown (2 of 2)
*43) Aji Crystal (1 of 1)
**44) Aji Cito (2 of 2)

C. Pubescens (4):
***45) Red Rocoto (3 of 3)
*46) Orange Manzano (1 of 1)

All right, while I am saving my update video for this week, here is some updates of the plants I spent the last couple of days transplanting into their final pots.

Red Pimiento:
4-17-12-RedPimiento.jpg

Orange Cheyenne:
4-17-12-OrangeCheyenne.jpg

Bird's Eye:
4-17-12-BirdsEye.jpg

White Bhut (2 pics):
4-16-12-WhiteBhutJolokia.jpg

4-16-12-WhiteBhutJolokia.jpg

TS Morouga:
4-16-12-TrinidadScorpionMorouga.jpg

There are a few more on my PhotoBucket album, I just didn't want to post 20 pics in one part here! Update video coming tonight!

Nope, just Liquid Karma, Cal-Mag, and ProGrow. Not all of my roots have developed as quickly, but many C.Chinense did. They are by far doing the best, but now that I have potted up my C.Annuums, etc. as well, I think that they should start taking off again. Actually, my Red Pimientos and Orange Manzano have showed signs of drastic improvement just since this morning, so all should be well in the end.

On that note, here is the video I filmed this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2eaDZM0aDE

I will be monitoring my slower plants and potting up whatever I can until I can get more room, raise my lights, etc. I have options to optimize the room I have, and with the suspended shelves, I should be able to get even more creative with how I provide light. It is a good challenge, and I embrace it. That being said, however, I will be drastically decreasing my total plants for next year to around 25-30. I have to get on track with my house again, too, and this has consumed so much of my time.

Nope, just Liquid Karma, Cal-Mag, and ProGrow. Not all of my roots have developed as quickly, but many C.Chinense did. They are by far doing the best, but now that I have potted up my C.Annuums, etc. as well, I think that they should start taking off again. Actually, my Red Pimientos and Orange Manzano have showed signs of drastic improvement just since this morning, so all should be well in the end.

On that note, here is the video I filmed this morning:

I will be monitoring my slower plants and potting up whatever I can until I can get more room, raise my lights, etc. I have options to optimize the room I have, and with the suspended shelves, I should be able to get even more creative with how I provide light. It is a good challenge, and I embrace it. That being said, however, I will be drastically decreasing my total plants for next year to around 25-30. I have to get on track with my house again, too, and this has consumed so much of my time.

Tios are looking awesome dude! I'm always excited to see them! :D

Thanks again, guys, for ducking in and checking out my progress! It's encouraging to see my fellow chiliheads taking stock of what I'm up to. On that note, here is my latest video, filmed Wed. morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8NRpOLB7eU&lc=vC8OM4rkJfOeemQXmQea2zn3MnS6TCUf7D9BNekopp8&feature=inbox

A few hiccups, of course, such as my Rocotos taking ill and regressing. New leaves are looking good. In addition, the CGN21500s got some edema and I topped the younger one. Orange Manzano is really taking off since I repotted/changed location/topped, and my Bird's Eye/Eximium are looking great. Purple Cayenne/TC07246/Kori Sitakame's leaves are kind of funky looking (opaque, not shiny, hmm...) and a few others are droopin' in the excess humidity, but I will have that taken care of as of later today (tomorrow?). Little guys, such as Apache, de Neyde, Bird Pepper, Anaheim, etc. are kickin' it up, sprouting fast. Can't wait to build the new shelves so I can repot a bunch more of these babies, since I am just about at capacity at the moment. I will be doing some more text updates later this week as I repot, retool, etc.

Great update and your plants are looking great Karl, but that sucks about the few set backs you have been dealing with I have had some of the same issues especially edema until I moved them outside and the only issue became pest. This my first year growing chadwick cherry tomato and was able to harvest my first cherry tomato while taking an update pictures it was awesome in flavor and sweetness. Good luck through the season

Great update, Karl. Plants are looking good, happy too see the Tobago's are doing great! They aren't fast growers are they? I've been struggling with the seedlings over here, think I got the problem under control now. The unknown Chinense seedlings are showing new growth and starting their second set of leaves.

IMAG0705.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

The color on the first 2 photo's are a bit off because of the light ;)

Thanks, guys! I have been a little negligent with pictures, and on another note, with my basement plants. All of my Annuums, etc. have not been taking well to the basement's high humidity. The leaves have been droopy or curled for weeks, and with a dull appearance, while all of my Chinense/Baccatum/Frutescens upstairs are shiny-leaved and much healthier overall. I see a negative correllation with high humidity, and I am now combating it with a dehumidifier in my greenhouse. Not only is it working like a charm in the 12 hours I've had it hooked up, but it also throws off extra heat, so the plants will definitely like that! Hopefully in the next couple of weeks they'll bounce back and healthen up. Many plants have been shedding leaves in the basement, too, so I wanted to get that taken care of before too long, since plantout is only a month or so away!

See everyone on Wednesday or Thursday with the new update video!

Back