• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Hickory smoked Almonds

Many years back, I was served Hickory smoked almonds in Cathy pacific flights which I used to take going to Japan.

My favs were Sapporo Beer and smoked almonds.

Does anyone know how to smoke almonds that way?

Would love to get that nice smoky almond again sans the beer.

NJA

NJA there's a type of smoking I think you may be into that you can do in your kitchen. It's called tea smoking, and you smoke with tea leaves, a wok, and a bamboo steamer.

1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup long grain rice, 1 cup oolong or black lychee tea.
2. Line a wok with foil, and put mixture in.
3. Heat until it begins to smoke and smolder.
4. Place almonds in a bamboo steamer.
5. Place bamboo steamer over tea mixture, and fill the gaps around the bottom with wet cloths.
6. Turn down heat, smoke for 15 minutes.
7. Turn heat off, let smoke another 15 minutes.

You can smoke longer if needed but not too long with tea smoking.

NJA ... I'd bet MrArboc is right on. A lot of products called "smoked" just use a liquid smoke. You could also try a "stove top smoker". My guess is you know what that is. They also have all types of woods to use in it.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Oh No.....I am not doubting his suggestion.
I haven't seen one here and that's why I asked him to send me one. (or suggest )
Sorry I did not google for it.
(LET ME KICK MY BUTT AND GET MYSELF GOING)

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Why not send some liquid Hickory smoke?
I don't get it here. LOL

Seriously? Even I can find Hickory liquid smoke, imported from the US and quite pricey, but still. Look harder;)

NJA ...... Don't know about Kroger's there's none in my city, but Wal Mart will have both the liquid smoke and wood chips. With smoking woods they should have several types . Some in bigger chunks for cooking larger meats and smaller chips which would be what you might want to try for smoking your nuts .......

Peace,
P. Dreadie

NJA you posted this in the kitchen section, not BBQ, so I gave you a kitchen solution.

Hickory flavor is from smoking outdoors, or yeah, liquid smoke, which is the smoke condensate.

Every grocery store should have a brand. Not sure I would use it on almonds!

Look for a dry spice with hickory flavor. They make them, but it will have other flavors too.

I just buy the smoked almonds, then spray them with a spray oil (usually a light olive oil), some powdered sugar, and PF's Trinidad Scorpion powder......and bake them on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or so.....

yum.

Whoa - its like Ive been hit with a hammer and can see clearly -- great idea paul Im going to try that with sunflower seeds as well, since its baseball season and standing the coaches box get a little long

I like to bake pumpkin seeds in butter, salt, and ground red peppers (like cayenne) till lightly brown. I would like to try paulky 2000 recipe with pumpkin seeds.

I have used my big green egg with the plate setter legs down. Placed a good handfull of soaked hickory chips on the lump. Egg at ~250. Placed the almonds directly on the plate setter and smoked for ~20min. Tasted great

Back