• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

October 12, 2013  Getting the next set of leaves on the MoA plants.  Decided to go through my seed bank and see what was in there that I might want to try in 14 and what I needed to trash.  I came across some Orange Manzano seeds.  Want to grow yellow, but I might as well see if I can get some orange started up early as well so I put 8 seeds on to see if I can get them to germ.

I grew a couple plants a couple years ago but they didn't make and I didn't OW.  This jump should get me out the gate fast and I will container grow these I am thinking and will OW if I like them.

1012MoA.jpg

Got myself a sweet little package in the mail today.  Already have the yellow manzano set to germ...some of them any way.  Hoping to set out the season with three yellow and three orange and see what happens.  Starting this early I am hoping to get some ripe pods next season.

1385783_10200934872524126_1657360395_n.jpg

Bodeen said:
Got myself a sweet little package in the mail today.  Already have the yellow manzano set to germ...some of them any way.  Hoping to set out the season with three yellow and three orange and see what happens.  Starting this early I am hoping to get some ripe pods next season.

You aren't kidding. I'm overwintering my two since they performed so crappy this year. Those plants take crazy long to set pods. Starting a few red rocotos soon too. 

That TS peach has my juices flowing!!!  If it is between a TS yellow and a peach bhut it will be my new favorite plant.  And there goes the cut back on pepper varieties.  But how can you say no to some of these things...at least until you've tried em.

On over winters.  From what I have read some people but them in a dark cool place and forget them and hope they live.  My thoughts are minimal care to keep them green.  There will be some new growth I would imagine, but no ferts and little water and some light.  But how much light?

I will be keeping these NOT in the grow room.  Don't need to chance introducing something that might hurt my seedlings in January.  Plus it will be too warm in there for them by then.

When do I start thinking about getting the OW to wake back up and start kicking it in the spring?

Jeff, my OWs stay in my garage. Two windows on the opposite side with the blinds down. Minimal light, but some light. Water every two weeks or so as needed, going by weight to determine.

Jeff, Search the glogs for pepper-guru he has a great OW system. They need light, as he said dark will kill them...very informative.

Also from what I've read Greg (Pic1) has written about this too....but I have yet to read his input....he's a fantastic grower, and trust his input as well.

Pulled 68 burgundy pods off my first OW I trimmed back.  I went ahead and OW all three plants.  If they make it, they should be machines next year.

1380080_10200957368206504_1984977250_n.jpg

The final 11

three burgundy, peach bhut, TS yellow, yellow bhut, datil, fatalii red, chocolate hab, primo, and a brain.  Was thinking of just putting the last two in darkness and seeing if they make it through to spring to test that process, but if I have room on the table, I might as well keep em going.

1378215_10200957872459110_1129157519_n.jpg

Jamison said:
There you go! You might want to cut those down a little bit more tho.

How much more should I cut them back?  I didn't want to go too far lol.
MoA issues.  Got some yellowing of the leaves on top.  Pots are really light, so it doesn't or wouldn't appear to be a watering issue.  Unless it was an issue, pots dried out, and they plants haven't bounced back yet.

10/20/2013

1020MoA1.jpg

1020MoA2.jpg

I'd cut em down so they are as tall as the pot. Equal proportions for roots and stalks seem to work the best. As far as the MoA's , let them dry out until the plants are starting to wilt a little. They should green back up. If not I'd hit em with a low dose of nutrients. Something higher in N right now.

Had a mulberry tree that split in half, so I went ahead and cut it the rest of the way down.  From what I have been reading, it makes a good smoking wood with a flavor similar to apple.  Going to cut off some slices and let it cure.  I have a ton of these trees here and they all end up splitting and slowing leaning to the ground.  They don't burn good in the wood stove either.  Worth a shot.

1377975_10200964501624835_362019000_n.jpg

For what its worth, I read black berry cane makes good smoke too.  I think next weekend I might have to try some black berry smoked chicken breasts on the grill.

Jeff congrats on da seeds, you should have a great season next year ^_^  I'm not sure if you sprayed the plants and soil before you OW them but Greg has that in his method and it makes sense to me. I think Scott was asking about his method too, I used it on one of my plants last year even though I don't need to OW plants but had a terrible nematode issue that it helped me out with, you can read his HERE. The only thing I don't do is use 7 on my plants or soil, although I have thought about hitting the ground under and around my pots but haven't yet.

I agree with Jamison on the cut back, you can trim them back a lot more but it's always your call and either way should work fine.

Hab a great week!

Back