• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Well as some of you know I can as much as I can anymore. It really does save a butt load of money.....this recipe for instance cost roughly 15 buck to make useing homegrown stuff. The average storebought sauce costs roughly $2.50 for an 11 ounce jar. I got 9 - 12 ounce jars and 2 3/4 quarts. The 9 jars alone would cost 22.50 at the store so ya I do save money making my own sauces.

I got a lil bored today so I made a couple of gallons of spaghetti sauce.

here ya go

I started with 2 decent sized heads of garlic. break them apart peel the cloves and fine chop the.
GEDC0039.jpg

next I chopped 3 medium onions and added that to the garlic

GEDC0040.jpg

then I drizzled a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the bottom of my pot

GEDC0041.jpg

next I added the garlic, onions, and 1 med green pepper chopped to the oil
GEDC0042.jpg

after the onions turned transluscent I put the mixture in the blender and liquified it (kind of resembles baby poop)

GEDC0043.jpg

after that I added 6 1/2 quarts of home canned crushed tomatos
GEDC0046.jpg

now I added about 2 cups of homemade Frozen Basil Pesto about 9 tablespoons of Oregano a lil salt (around 2 teaspoons) 1 1/2 cups sugar

GEDC0044.jpg

GEDC0045.jpg

I let it cook for about an hour (stirring often) and then bottled the meatless sauce

after canning what I wanted in meatless

I browned some Italian Sausage
GEDC0047.jpg

mixed the meat into the sauce and canned it useing a pressure canning. I canned at 10 pounds pressure for 25 minutes with 55 minutes cool down.
GEDC0048.jpg

chicagofire said:
how did you make the crushed tomatoes? did you boil them down before the canning?

I blanched the tomatatos (about 35 pounds to make 7 quarts)to loosen the skin, then I skinned them. I cut the tomatos in half to get a majority of the seeds out along with the water. Then put about a third of the skinned, cut tomatos in a large kettle and boiled them mixing and crushing them with a large wooden spoon. once they are crushed add another third of the tomatos doing the same till all tomatos are crushed. Once all the tomatos are in the kettle boiling Next I get my sanitized hot jars I add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to each empty jar, this helps keep the bright red color. then fill them to a 1/4" from the top. Water bath can them for 35-40 minutes.

My Grandparents were big into canning as were my parents. With all of the recipes I have from them I could write a book...LOL.....

Dyce51 said:
I blanched the tomatatos (about 35 pounds to make 7 quarts)to loosen the skin, then I skinned them. I cut the tomatos in half to get a majority of the seeds out along with the water. Then put about a third of the skinned, cut tomatos in a large kettle and boiled them mixing and crushing them with a large wooden spoon. once they are crushed add another third of the tomatos doing the same till all tomatos are crushed. Once all the tomatos are in the kettle boiling Next I get my sanitized hot jars I add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to each empty jar, this helps keep the bright red color. then fill them to a 1/4" from the top. Water bath can them for 35-40 minutes.

My Grandparents were big into canning as were my parents. With all of the recipes I have from them I could write a book...LOL.....

yup this is the method I use and it works great - easy too. i've been out for like 2 months now...:( only store bought stuff now.

Looks pretty simple and sounds delish. I'm going to have to give this a shot. Thanks Dyce51.

Have you ever used grape jelly instead of sugar to sweeten your sauce? I'll almost always add a tablespoon of it to store bought sauce when I'm heating it.

the recipe sounds good! me personally I would of left the sauce chunky but to each their own, it still sounds tasty!
once you have the jars & items it can save you plenty of money if using homegrown veggies.
you dont need a pressure cooker to can, a water bath pot will work just fine for canning!

chilehunter said:
the recipe sounds good! me personally I would of left the sauce chunky but to each their own, it still sounds tasty!
once you have the jars & items it can save you plenty of money if using homegrown veggies.
you dont need a pressure cooker to can, a water bath pot will work just fine for canning!

I use the pressure canner for the sauce with meat but for the most part I use water bath....The sauce is very tasty!! :lol:

patrick said:
Looks pretty simple and sounds delish. I'm going to have to give this a shot. Thanks Dyce51.

Have you ever used grape jelly instead of sugar to sweeten your sauce? I'll almost always add a tablespoon of it to store bought sauce when I'm heating it.

I will have to give that a shot. I never thought of useing grape jelly

Back