• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

HOT dogs

I think it is high time that we start giving one of the US' trademark foods it's due. There are a million ways to make a hot dog, and I have had many, but I have a freezer full of hot dogs (I seem to never be able to pass them up when on sale), and I need some ideas. I propose this thread as a place to show off your hot dog prowess. Let's make them creative and of course HOT! I don't have a get started pic as this just came to me and I have just eaten, but I promise to chime in with some pics soon. In the meantime, what is YOUR favorite dog?

I'll be making some chile dogs (not chili) to go along with my throwdown entry. Will post pics manana.

Edit: Just realized that is a post telling you that I am going to post tomorrow. Guess I had a PMD moment there. :crazy: :rofl:

We all have those moments.....;)

mrs. blues checked out your dogs Jay and sent me to the store for Hebrew Nats. hmmmmph! And to think I already had filet mignon on deck for her this eve. I get no respect..no respect at all.

I love hot dogs. I make them all sorts of ways, but one of my favorites is pan fried. Split your favorite hot dogs in half, but don't cut all the way through. Then, In a skillet, pour in some of your favorite hot sauce, then put in your hot dogs, making sure they're opened up in the pan so they get that nice pan fried sear. As they're cooking in the pan, sprinkle on some of your favorite spices. I primarily use sea salt, creole seasoning, and Lawrys garlic parsley salt. Add more hot sauce if needed. When the hot dogs are done, I usually eat them with a fork and knife, but occasionally put them in a bun, and add hot mustard, onion, and a little ketchup.

I'm sure that there are variations but basically you split a hot dog, fill it with cheese, wrap with bacon, hold together with toothpicks and deep fry it.

YUMMY!

I no longer have my deep fryer but can pan fry them. I use to have these at a nearby restaurant and once again I say YUMMY!!!! They go great with beer.

You are welcome, Try little sliver of jalapeno or using pepperjack cheese and serve with spicy mustard. Not traditional but who cares?

Now, in addition to a francheezie, I am hungry for Pillsbury crescent roll dogs. Slit hot dog, fill with cheese, wrap in the crescent roll. Oven baked. YUM, YUM, YUM!

Back