• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

How do you like your chili?

Tried doing one with my chocolate habolokia and two spoonfuls was enough..Now in the freezer with a nuclear label on was to damn hot :)

Had to dig DEEP for this one.... :cool:

...since it's chili weather here in the Northern Hemisphere, and in lieu of starting a NEW thread, I was wondering if we have any fresh opinions on this topic.

Also, I think this would be an excellent place to post your chili recipes and photos....

BRING IT ON!!

If there is a post pic rule... and if not I'll post my recipe which really depends on what's in the house at that time.

Looks like this one has been reserected a couple of times. Makes me want to do chili tomorrow. Tonight it's Fajitas

This is a great classic thread.

I wanna see recipes, pics (if you have the capability, but not paramount), and thoughts on what you think chili ought to be and contain.

Had to dig DEEP for this one.... :cool:

...since it's chili weather here in the Northern Hemisphere, and in lieu of starting a NEW thread, I was wondering if we have any fresh opinions on this topic.

Also, I think this would be an excellent place to post your chili recipes and photos....

BRING IT ON!!

Green or Red....or both?

roflmao @ Paulky...bored this morning????...this is the second or third time this post has been resurected...

Chili...now that is a good subject....

I have started making my own chili powder...or at least trying...just can't get the Chile de Arbols to grow for me here so I substitute super chili or some kind of cayenne...

equal parts of:

Cascbel
Anaheim (or Poblano)
Chile de Arbol (or super chili or cayenne)

if you want a darker powder, use more cascabel but watch out, the earthy taste of the cascabel may overpower...

This one was originally posted in the VeggieFest un-official TD a few months ago. It's a great recipe and I'll be making it again soon. It'll keep the thread going anyway~

A couple days ago, it was raining like crazy, thunder and lightening, the perfect kind of day for a hot spicy bowl of chili! Perfect time to whip up some easy veggie chili.This recipe is originally from The Frog/Commissary Cookbook, a couple of Seattle area restaurants. 'Ccourse, I didn't follow the recipe exactly, just sort of used the recipe as inspiration.
Fine chop all the veggies, then saute in olive oil-Add dry spices, cook for few minutes,add tomatoes, beans, water, quinoa (or bulgar wheat) and the rest of the ingredients.
2 cups onion
1 cup celery
1 cup green peppers
1 cup carrots
2 cups mushrooms
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp (OR MORE!) dry chipotle or crushed red pepper
1 TBSP cumin
3/4 tsp dried basil
3/4 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large can crushed or diced tomatoes w/ juice
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 cans drained beans of your choice
1/2 tsp hot sauce- your choice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 cup quinoa or bulgar whea
Opt- 1/4 c dry red or white wine
Opt- 2 tbsp chopped chiles- your choice

Here's the ingredient-The stuff in the bowl on the right is the quinoa, spices down front, frozen/ground garlic in the plastic bag
soccer2010vegfest031.jpg

The veggies sauteing...mmmmmm, can't you just smell them onions and arlics????-
soccer2010vegfest032.jpg

I was making this early in the day so I put it into the crock pot to cook. The little white things that look like seeds is the quinoa, not cooked up yet.
soccer2010vegfest033.jpg

And the serving-topped with cheese, scallions, a couple splashed of Ghost Fire hot sauce, and chips! Delightful!

soccer2010vegfest036.jpg

ANN...thats SOUP!!!!! ROFLMAO...

it sure looks good though...

I like my chilli thick not soupy & it has to have beans it otherwise its not true chilli :P
for my chilli ingredients I keep it basic
- tomato sauce & fresh cut tomatoes
- ground burger or cut steak, beef or venison
- onions
- beans, dark or light kidney
- carrots, if I have them at hand...yea its not a basic chilli ingredient but I like'em in it
- chile powder & plenty of it, mostly mexican chile powder
- couple other spices

ANN...thats SOUP!!!!! ROFLMAO...

it sure looks good though...

SOUP?!?!??? Wadda ya mean, soup? It's got beans, onions, tomatoes, chili powder...everything chilehunter listed and it's nice and thick and SPICY!....

OK...so it don't have meat...but there's no fat or cholesterol...and TB can eat it!
:D

I've made this several times and the carnivores never know it's vegetarian. ;)

SOUP?!?!??? Wadda ya mean, soup? It's got beans, onions, tomatoes, chili powder...everything chilehunter listed and it's nice and thick and SPICY!....

OK...so it don't have meat...but there's no fat or cholesterol...and TB can eat it!
:D

I've made this several times and the carnivores never know it's vegetarian. ;)

your chilli does look good & I'd eat it, but when it comes to chilli its something about the dish that meat is just a required ingredient. kinda like veggie burgers are just not the same as a good ol' meat burger.
to each their own I guess.

heres an old pic that I've posted here before, venison burger chilli :drooling:

DSCF3650.jpg

HSL...I remember that hotness....Awesome!!

CH...that looks really amazing!!!

.....just take out the dead cockroaches (kidney beans) and it'd be PERFECT!

Back