• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Hey guys bit of a random non chilli related question but my mother in law works in mental health services and they're setting up a small garden to grow some vegetables, we're gonna get some jalapeños and herbs going but does anyone have any suggestions to vegetables that are easy to grow? I've not really had any gardening experience outside of chillies and herbs lol!

Any summer veg is easy to grow man. I'd probably only steer away from tomatoes as they require staking and a little bit of attention to keep the bugs off.

Micca302 said:
Can't remember if this  ever got posted http://www.flairform.com/hints/nutrient_deficiency.htm
It seems to be useful in determining nutrient deficiencies that everyone gets like yellowing leaves etc. I had it in my favs saved from somewhere.

Micca
Queequeg152 gets the credit for bringing that chart to our attention back in 2011 (spotted it in Yellowing on top leaves starting...what's wrong?.

There's also a table on on hydroponics.net that includes information about symptoms from nutrient toxicities:
harry said:
The chart doesn't cover the symptoms of nutrient toxicities. Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities by Element is another one I keep handy due to the information about the impact of excess nutrients.

I've found an Impact of Mineral Deficiency Stress article that lists some causes in addition to describing the symptoms of the deficiencies.

I picked up a Wild Fire Douglah and 7 pot Brainstrain from Bunnings last night. There is already a couple of pods on the 7 pot and a heap of mini pods forming on the Douglah. These guys will be potted up into 40L pots this week end to try to get a heap of growth out of them while its still hot.

Hi guys, hope your all having a good chilli season.

I'm pretty happy with one of my plants. I thought this was a Annuum. :P

highlucks said:
I picked up a Wild Fire Douglah and 7 pot Brainstrain from Bunnings last night. There is already a couple of pods on the 7 pot and a heap of mini pods forming on the Douglah. These guys will be potted up into 40L pots this week end to try to get a heap of growth out of them while its still hot.

What Bunnings did you get them from dude? I would like to add a Brainstrain to my collection.

Hey rain man you can order them off wildfire website and pick them up from canningvale markets on Sunday, don't know how far u are from there?
And nice surprise jayman :)

Andy21 said:
Hey rain man you can order them off wildfire website and pick them up from canningvale markets on Sunday, don't know how far u are from there?
And nice surprise jayman :)

I wish I could go on Sunday, but I cant make it.  I can probably get to a Bunnings tomorrow though, so if I knew what store that would be great.  The ones I've been to (Inaloo and Joondalup) only had Morugas, Douglahs and Butch T's the last time I was there.

I'm close to the city, so I don't mind driving north of south to find a new type.

I'm not sure mate I've never seen them in bunnings I've been to! Tell you what ill buy an extra one and if you can't find one ill drop it by yours if you want? I do a lot of driving at work so it's no hassle! I live south and work north
Can just leave 9 bucks in your letter box?

Andy21 said:
I'm not sure mate I've never seen them in bunnings I've been to! Tell you what ill buy an extra one and if you can't find one ill drop it by yours if you want? I do a lot of driving at work so it's no hassle! I live south and work north
Can just leave 9 bucks in your letter box?
Cheers Andy - have left you a PM

Hi guys,
Well it's been quite a while since I've posted here.
I've been growing these damn frustrating superhots for about 3yrs now and only now having a little success
What seems to happen with my seedlings is that they germinate and I get cotyledon leaves and then a very small true leaf,
And then they stop.
They just stop growing all through summer and only start to perform the following year.
All my plants I have now are a year old or older.
I start the seeds in the final potting mix which is fairly light with plenty of perlite they are outside and get good light, not too much sun and are well protected.
We have such a long growing season here and I would like to take advantage of it.
I know the superhots have a long maturation period but even annums I have stop growing.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can give these plants a giddy up.
Cheers Kevvy

Kevvy said:
Hi guys,
Well it's been quite a while since I've posted here.
I've been growing these damn frustrating superhots for about 3yrs now and only now having a little success
What seems to happen with my seedlings is that they germinate and I get cotyledon leaves and then a very small true leaf,
And then they stop.
They just stop growing all through summer and only start to perform the following year.
All my plants I have now are a year old or older.
I start the seeds in the final potting mix which is fairly light with plenty of perlite they are outside and get good light, not too much sun and are well protected.
We have such a long growing season here and I would like to take advantage of it.
I know the superhots have a long maturation period but even annums I have stop growing.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can give these plants a giddy up.
Cheers Kevvy
try hydroponics! that gets them big fast!  But after that I dont know....I can make my outdoor hydroponic chilies make pods but I can't make my indoor chili hang onto pods.

try hydroponics! that gets them big fast!  But after that I dont know....I can make my outdoor hydroponic chilies make pods but I can't make my indoor chili hang onto pods.

I'd love to give hydro a go, but I can't really find much resource about it. I'm probably not looking hard enough

AussieMitch said:
I'd love to give hydro a go, but I can't really find much resource about it. I'm probably not looking hard enough
its easy to do, cheapest is probably dwc. 
My indoor dwc is a 38ltr tub from bunnings.
Get a net pot from a hydroponic shop or online,  Cut a hole in the lid of your tub big enough to fit the net cup in. 
Fill the net cup with expanded clay.
You'll need an aquarium air pump and a bit of hose to pump some air into your water.  Its air in the water you need as well as exploding bubbles on the surface splashing onto the roots.
Get some nutrients online, or a hydro shop if kalgoorlie has one.  I dont know if there is a bunnings there either, but most bunnings have a hydroponic section.
You can either follow the directions for nutrient dosages or you can buy an ec meter.  Depends on how cheap you want to keep things. Just change the water every few weeks.  Depends on how much top up water you use. The more tap water you top up with the more often you need to change.  A build up of minerals from the tap water ruins things.  Same goes with ph.  A ph meter helps, but you can probably get away with not using one. I've got an Aji Panca running off the same reservoir as my Jumbo pumpkin which I keep a high ph on and that is still busting out alot of pods.

I like my nft set ups because I like the reservoir seperate so I can easily test and change the water.  But they are a little more expensive because of the amount of expanded clay I used to fill the bath tubs I use.

P1040272_zpse8498439.jpg

P1040271_zps92b0dbab.jpg

P1040275_zpsdb1b94e0.jpg

P1040276_zpsd8b318c6.jpg

Rainman said:

What Bunnings did you get them from dude? I would like to add a Brainstrain to my collection.
Sorry bud, I have given you bad information. The brain strain I ordered from Wildfire to be collected on Sunday. The plants I bought for bunnings were 7 Pot Jonah and Douglah. Appologies for getting your hopes up.
They were bought from Bunnings Midland. They had Jonahs, Douglah and Butch T in stock

On another note, I got down to the Canningvale markets early on Sunday to catch up with Candice from Wildfire, I picked up a couple of 60cm high Buht Jolokias, Chocolate Brain Strain and a Peter Pepper. We started to cruise around the markets more and found another chili seller just up the isle from Wildfire. Where I picked up a Scotch Bonnet with a few large healthy pods on it and a Lemon Drop that is absolutely covered in pods. The problem now is with my Bunnings purchase last week and the markets yesterday i now have 8 plants needing to be potted out. Looks like I am going back to Bunnings for some more storage tubs.

Also worth noting Chili sellers seem to be multiplying at the Canningvale markets, Yesterday there would have had to have been 8 or more selling chili plants and most with super hots like Moruga, Douglah and BJ's. There were also a lot of generic sellers where you ask what type of plant it is and are told its Mexican.

It's been a frustrating few days down here in Bunno. Probably 3-4 hot days of solid strong easterlies - day and night. My shadecloth keeps a lot of it out, but there's still a lot of the usual leaf scorch that I see on my balcony. Lots of leaf drop and 80% of my plants have zero open flowers now.

Still have some of those ones I described that came back well from last year but seem to have shut down into sticks with a handful of thick, leathery leaves. My Hungarian Black is a classic example. The thing is flowering like mad and is one of the few things holding fruit but it wont grow even if I keep knocking off the fruit to give it energy. On a positive note, it had been looking a bit yellow from the middle working outwards and following the chart that Micca put up I gave it some Dolomite Lime for magnesium and it, at least, seems to have greened out.

I have a Jamaican red with wildly distorted leaves - no visible pests beyond the odd aphid. Possibly getting slightly warped by the sun/wind combo and not being in the ideal location.

My gorgeous huge Chocolate Bhut is losing many leaves. I've pruned off a few spindly, bare twigs in the hope of giving the plant some energy reserves to set some of the billion flowers it has dropped. No flowers on it now but plenty of buds coming.

Butch T had set one pod which went all soft and dropped off. No flowers for it at the moment, either - buds on the way back.

About the only thing that has set fruit is my Fatalii which has three small pods. The plant itself seems to have stalled out in recent weeks.

-

One thing I guess I have to keep in mind is that at this time last year I had just moved in to this apartment and all I had on my balcony was a few pots of tiny, tiny seedlings - so I am well in advance of where I was back then. Despite this, I can't help but get depressed about the fact that my plants seem to have regressed as summer has well and truly kicked in. Why do some of them seem to have just stopped growing? Why the leaf drop?

I can't tell if I'm overwatering. I try not to water the pots every day, but on a hot day they go limp as anything without at least a bit of water.

Meanwhile, here's my mate's (Leafcutter bee - who I can never get to post!) Cheiro Goias that I gave him as a scrawny runt of a seedling that I had no space for at the end of last season.

Jealous.

WP_20140125_10_56_06_Pro.jpg

Back