• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds HP22B Germination ??

I put one pack in a damp paper towel on saturday and set it on the cable box. Opened it up today and one of the seeds popped. I was planning on to put the first born in a rock wool cube. Does it matter if it is facing up or will it right itself?

2/24 after 9 days.
Treated like all others I grow (more than 290 varieties this year)
Soaked 24h in 1% saltpeter solution at 30°C
Then set above peat moss perlite mixture and covered with 4-5mm of the same
Box 30°C day and night
Now since yesterday day 30°C night 22°C

I will update as soon as more show up.

Peter

Update SEP/15th 4/24

I put one pack in a damp paper towel on saturday and set it on the cable box. Opened it up today and one of the seeds popped. I was planning on to put the first born in a rock wool cube. Does it matter if it is facing up or will it right itself?

If you can face the root down that would be fine, not as easy with rock wool unless the holes are soaked closed. Although It really doesn't matter as long as the root is in some type of moist medium below the surface. The sprout will invert and push its way toward the light.

i always point the little rootlet down into the rockwool cube and then gently push the seed in such that its wedged tail down into the rock wool. that is of coarse only when you catch them with small roots poking out. when they are too long to force into the rockwool, i just drop em in. dosent seem to matter either way TBH.
i use a hemostat to manipulate the seeds, its a tool of many many uses, every one should have a few in their tool bags.

http://www.ebay.com/...=hemostat&rt=nc

edit:
bummer that so many people are having trouble getting these to germ, might want to look at some seed priming techniques

http://scienceinhydroponics.com/2010/08/improving-seed-germination-the-science-of-seed-priming.html

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=seed+priming+capsicum&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=KjVSUJ2gOojA2gWmr4CQAg&ved=0CBkQgQMwAA

do your due diligence before hand however, these aren't home depot seeds.
dem seeds are a buck a piece.

1/5 for me after 13 days.. hooking now...hope it makes it

What do you mean by hooking? LOL i seen it a few times but not sure I have hard that term unless its comes to aggies football,

Also, i have 12 of 20 in less than 3 weeks, but some still havent lost there seed heads, and some i tried to remove the seed and broke. I got put off to the side and forgot about and died form lack of water, Tried to bring back to life but no luck.

it seems to me that so far... the seeds have very poor or HELLA long germ rates.... 1/5 took 13 days!!
Yet some people are poping a little over a week, a couple in less time. I get a feeling they may be finicky seeds and a few are hitting it right on, others not.

Yep I think thats what its going to come down to; Unless something changes that I dont foresee looks like I'm only going to get the three that poped...

The Butch T's I started yesterday look like they should pop early next week..

11/12 sprouts in 7-9 days using the paper towel/baggie method on a heating mat...the 12th sprouted but a bird must have eaten it as I only have a hole left.

All three I planted sprouted and this is how they look now: http://imgur.com/W6AEK

One is still stuck in a husk, but the other two seem happy. One has two true leaves growing. I suppose I should have only done one per container. They are just sitting in seed starting mix in a water bottle I cut the top off of and covered in plastic wrap. I set it on a heating pad once in a while before it sprouted. Now I keep it next to a west facing window.

I planted on the 30th or so, had hooks in less than a week. I think I soaked for about an hour before planting.

Maybe you guys should contact the selling organizations, those organizations were active in the selling phase of this pepper's introduction. They should be active in the latter phases..ie growing or germination of their pepper. Fair is fair.

None germinating at 8 days.. I just sowed some fresh from a pod though as well for my prio comparison experiment and ill see if the fresh ones are any different.. Obviously those havent either since i sowed them last night.

Maybe you guys should contact the selling organizations, those organizations were active in the selling phase of this pepper's introduction. They should be active in the latter phases..ie growing or germination of their pepper. Fair is fair.

Yeah, it is curious that "pepperjoe" has nothing to say here in light of the fact that he is one of the exclusive sellers of this particular seed. Does Ed Currie post here?

Hey Folks, I sowed 15 seeds on the 11th and found one that popped this mornin 17th..so hopefully the rest would be popping soon..ive read the starting tips that came with the seeds but i didnt follow it. i just threw em in the soil like i usually do and wait.. with no heat pads watsoever..oh and i have them in Fox Farms O.F...
am kind of freaked out that one popped,cuz just by readin u guys post about not having them pop at more than a week made me think that i wont see mine anytime soon..but they are Chinense,correct me if am wrong....so its basically the waiting game with them..well good luck on ur germ rates with them Carolina reapers..

Bryan

How about posting temps,and those sowing in soil,seed depth. Major factors! Sometimes a seed sprouts in soil, but takes a few extra days to break the soil. I only sow the best looking seeds and toss any chipped ones or ones that don't have a straw coloration.

Three weeks and still nothing. In that time I have had Chocolate Habs and Bhuts sprout that are in the same tray and under the same conditions. Still not giving up, just not overly thrilled.

Three weeks and still nothing. In that time I have had Chocolate Habs and Bhuts sprout that are in the same tray and under the same conditions. Still not giving up, just not overly thrilled.
MIne took 3 and a half weeks to sprout one out of three, which sprouted today! I had other seeds popping up around it but those reapers took forever. I was about to plant 3 more seeds today till i saw that one finally sprouted.

Back