• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds HP22B Germination ??

As an experiment, not with H22's but moruga's which take a long time to germinate, I soaked the 6 seeds in water and 10% hydrogen peroxide solution 3% for ten minutes. Then, I did the following, first 6 seeds pin the seed with the blunt end of a needle (pin it good), then with a razor knife sliced the seed coat like in the photo in the first link, hopefully exposing just the endosperm.

For the second 6 seeds I just planted them in seed starter cups and moistened both.

Lets see what happens in 10 days or so, if the soaked, scarified seeds totally fail, I will repeat but soak in the hydrogen peroxide and water solution after scarifying them instead of before

Rhody...

0 of 8 for me so far have not given up yet those have been about three weeks. On heat mat. Put 4 more in a wet towel and baggie the 18th of Sep. nothing on them yet.

Jason

2 of 10 have sprouted - one just two days ago (going on 3 weeks after planting), one a few days before that, all in peat pellets over 80 degrees. These really do appear to have unusually hard, seemingly waterproof seed coats - the scarification technique might be worth a try if you're not having any luck.

i did it with 4 of my un germinated seeds, and 2 sprouted overnight.

lol sadly im on my second set of seedlings. the first 4 seed i had germinated in like 4 days... all 4, and were growing awesomely, but i left them on top of a hot ballast accidentally... and they fried.
this second set is problematic, only 4 of 6 germinated. of that 4, 1 failed to to root itself for what ever reason.

im glad someone else made this thread...

im 6 for 20 with reapers after 30 days

9 for 10 with 7 pot primos planted at the same time, same method, same day

Just had the 3rd of 10 sprout after about a month. Temps have been consistently in the low '80s F, in peat pots kept moist. I've dug out a couple of the non-sprouters, and at least in the batch of seeds I have, the seed coats just seem to be unusually tough and water resistant. I'm not in a hurry so I can just let 'em sit.

I am 0 for 8 first ones have been a month. These are tuff to get going. Keep us updated on how things are going.

Jason

It's funny how the seeds take over a month to pop for some and just a few days for others. I just started mine 10/14/12. They were soaked overnight in water that I boiled and cooled, then added about 1/3 volume of 3% H2O2 and 1/3 volume brewed chamomile tea. I have some in Rapid Rooters and some in starter mix. Both sets are in Jiffy mini-greenhouses with heating pads. The "starter mix" is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 with worm castings and Ancient Forest amendments in a roughly 8:1:1 ratio.

I just had another one sprout - at about five weeks. That makes 4 of 10. The variability seems odd. It will be interesting to see what sort of variations people end up with in plants over the next several months.

It's funny how the seeds take over a month to pop for some and just a few days for others. I just started mine 10/14/12. They were soaked overnight in water that I boiled and cooled, then added about 1/3 volume of 3% H2O2 and 1/3 volume brewed chamomile tea. I have some in Rapid Rooters and some in starter mix. Both sets are in Jiffy mini-greenhouses with heating pads. The "starter mix" is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 with worm castings and Ancient Forest amendments in a roughly 8:1:1 ratio.
Noticed that also and agree.

I got my reaper seeds last week , i got 2 packs sent from pucker butt seed company and the seeds are insane i got 100 % germination in 6 days flat ,i put 10 seeds down and 10 popped , i get very good germ rates with the way i do it , i have the spacers between the heat mat and the germ box and soil temp sits smack on 28 deg c and all 10 poped on the day 6 , some in the morning , but by that night the last one had popped. Thats in jiffy pellets.
When i bought the heat mats from the hydro shop they came with rubber spacers so you can lift the germ box of the mat to lower the heat .

This is the way that works well for me using the spacers to lift the germ box of the heat mat by 10 mm.

IMG_8150.jpg

I have tried many ways but find i get great results by having the jiffys slightly wet and have them pre heated in the germ box before i put the seeds in and the jiffys being heated and quite wet is like soaking them in warm water , and by 24 hours the jiffys have dried out to normal, then i just feel them with the back of my fingers to see if they need a mist with the spray bottle so that they are just damp to feel.

I noticed that if you use warm water to get the jiffys wet from when they are small and dry , warm water takes like 1 min to hydrate them , but cold water takes like 5 min and i thought well ill try the preheated wet jiffys to see if the seed absorbes water faster and it seems to work for me.

I got one of four seeds I planted to sprout after 12 days using scarification, and noticed something else, maybe some of you have seen the the same thing. I used Dr Earth potting soil, and a light mist morning and night. After a week or so, a light "crust" appear on the soil, maybe from the bat guano in it, lol. In any event I broke up the crust with a large needle. Low and behold there were a couple seedlings unable to break through now could. They probably would have rotted otherwise.

Rhody...

I put a dozen seeds in a dozen grodan cubes on thanksgiving day. As of today 10 of the 12 have hooked or fully sprouted. I used a h2o2 and water soak over night and then just plain tap to soak the grodan

I got my reaper seeds last week , i got 2 packs sent from pucker butt seed company and the seeds are insane i got 100 % germination in 6 days flat ,i put 10 seeds down and 10 popped , i get very good germ rates with the way i do it , i have the spacers between the heat mat and the germ box and soil temp sits smack on 28 deg c and all 10 poped on the day 6 , some in the morning , but by that night the last one had popped. Thats in jiffy pellets.
When i bought the heat mats from the hydro shop they came with rubber spacers so you can lift the germ box of the mat to lower the heat .

This is the way that works well for me using the spacers to lift the germ box of the heat mat by 10 mm.

IMG_8150.jpg

I have tried many ways but find i get great results by having the jiffys slightly wet and have them pre heated in the germ box before i put the seeds in and the jiffys being heated and quite wet is like soaking them in warm water , and by 24 hours the jiffys have dried out to normal, then i just feel them with the back of my fingers to see if they need a mist with the spray bottle so that they are just damp to feel.

I noticed that if you use warm water to get the jiffys wet from when they are small and dry , warm water takes like 1 min to hydrate them , but cold water takes like 5 min and i thought well ill try the preheated wet jiffys to see if the seed absorbes water faster and it seems to work for me.

I actually use boiling water to expand my jiffy
Pellets. I figure it sterilises them and as they cools to about 33 degreesC... I simply put my chamomile tea 24hr pre soaked seeds into them and straight into the heated germ container... if the seed is viable they will sprout everytime ...

Back