• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hp22b!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh OK, nobody here has ever seen the paperwork..........................just making sure we are on the same page. Seems things are pretty fluid, always changing.

They are indeed.

Skepticism is expected, obviously, but being on of the few to have actually eaten this pod that we are all arguing over, I have no problem dubbing it the hottest pod I have ever eaten, and the Douglahs from Prodigal Son pack immense amounts of heat.

They are indeed.

Skepticism is expected, obviously, but being on of the few to have actually eaten this pod that we are all arguing over, I have no problem dubbing it the hottest pod I have ever eaten, and the Douglahs from Prodigal Son pack immense amounts of heat.

An appropriate title for your video.

wow guys ive been away 15 days and this has 543 posts geez thats like my record for posts i made hahahahaha now i have to read them alll

ok i cant read all these posts but the pods will be available in the fall via ed currie

I'm waiting for Pepper Joe to Youtube this type of response to all of the naysayers/"haters" here. lol.

I"ll answer the question. You want answers. I think I'm entitled. You want answers. I want the truth about the HP22B. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Son, we live in a world that has tons of super hot crosses. These crosses need to be tested and grown out and stabilized Who is going to do it? You Armac? You cmpman1974? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know.. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about on the THP forums, you want the Carolina Reaper in your garden, you need to have it next to the 7 Pot Primo and Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend it in your garden. We use words like average highest SHU, seed marketing, and variety stabilization. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent breeding peppers and running a top-notch business. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to members who grow peppers from my seeds and question the way I ship them. I would rather you just say thank you and went on your way or go breed another pepper hotter than the Carolina Reaper. Either way I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.

http://www.evtv1.com...px?itemnum=2121

OK, I admit this is one of my favorite movies of all time. Just trying to have a little fun.

Chris

Got an email from Pepper Joe's, saying they have new chile pepper called Carolina Reaper or HP22B Chile. The claim is that it is the new "super Hot" pepper in the world. Before I invest money on some seed, what are your thoughts on growing this pepper. If it grows well in Carolina, then it should grow well in most of the hotter regions of the United States?

look man. pepper joe is reliable Im growing the Moruga scorpion in ky you should invest just to try. Its way to late this season I would think

I'm waiting for Pepper Joe to Youtube this type of response to all of the naysayers/"haters" here. lol.

I"ll answer the question. You want answers. I think I'm entitled. You want answers. I want the truth about the HP22B. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Son, we live in a world that has tons of super hot crosses. These crosses need to be tested and grown out and stabilized Who is going to do it? You Armac? You cmpman1974? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know.. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about on the THP forums, you want the Carolina Reaper in your garden, you need to have it next to the 7 Pot Primo and Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend it in your garden. We use words like average highest SHU, seed marketing, and variety stabilization. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent breeding peppers and running a top-notch business. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to members who grow peppers from my seeds and question the way I ship them. I would rather you just say thank you and went on your way or go breed another pepper hotter than the Carolina Reaper. Either way I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.

If you don't have the time or inclination why are you PMing hate to everyone who asks you questions, especially when we are only .5% of your market

Keep in mind when they decided to market and sell this product they also decided to have federal laws and statutes apply to them.

Well its Saturday, Hasn't it been said a couple of times they would release the info this week? Sorry I am calling bs, He claims to wait till he has a soft copy of data for Guinness, if they have been testing for years then they already have years of data, I am 100% positive he didn't pay for all this testing over the years and not get the results until five years later. we can do simple math and average it out. I am thinking there is a problem in the testing methodology and that's what they are hiding because its obviously something. Yeah yeah he is busy all the time, but cant take literally less than 5 minutes to email some data to someone or come on here and post. Nope don't think so If they had anything they would be proud to show the world, I would be posting that wherever I could, Ive got the hottest pepper heres the proof. So I call BS on the lot of em.

If they can prove me wrong great, I will look like a jackass, but the whole thing doesn't smell right, too many oh we will do this, we will do that, and nothing happens. If they just would have came out and said "we may have the hottest" instead of we do have the hottest and we have the testing to back it up but we wont show you. Whats next my dog ate the test results, that's what this is starting to sound like. Now does that make any sense at all? Unless they are still testing and they dont have the results yet, in which case why the bleep did they claim it.

So until they actually come up with more than a press release that might as well claim there is purple cheese on the moon, Its nothing but BS and they know it.

Notice the part where you must have the proof, http://www.sba.gov/c...uth-advertising

Anyone want to make them pony up the results they have?
Just file a complaint with the FTC that they are advertising a product and refuse to provide proof of claims.
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

What makes an advertisement deceptive?

According to the FTC's Deception Policy Statement, an ad is deceptive if it contains a statement - or omits information - that:
  • Is likely to mislead consumers acting reasonably under the circumstances; and
  • Is "material" - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product.
What kind of evidence must a company have to support the claims in its ads?

Before a company runs an ad, it has to have a "reasonable basis" for the claims. A "reasonable basis" means objective evidence that supports the claim. The kind of evidence depends on the claim. At a minimum, an advertiser must have the level of evidence that it says it has. For example, the statement "Two out of three doctors recommend ABC Pain Reliever" must be supported by a reliable survey to that effect. If the ad isn't specific, the FTC looks at several factors to determine what level of proof is necessary, including what experts in the field think is needed to support the claim. In most cases, ads that make health or safety claims must be supported by "competent and reliable scientific evidence" - tests, studies, or other scientific evidence that has been evaluated by people qualified to review it. In addition, any tests or studies must be conducted using methods that experts in the field accept as accurate

ow does the FTC determine if an ad is deceptive?

A typical inquiry follows these steps:
  • The FTC looks at the ad from the point of view of the "reasonable consumer" - the typical person looking at the ad. Rather than focusing on certain words, the FTC looks at the ad in context - words, phrases, and pictures - to determine what it conveys to consumers.
  • The FTC looks at both "express" and "implied" claims. An express claim is literally made in the ad. For example, "ABC Mouthwash prevents colds" is an express claim that the product will prevent colds. An implied claim is one made indirectly or by inference. "ABC Mouthwash kills the germs that cause colds" contains an implied claim that the product will prevent colds. Although the ad doesn't literally say that the product prevents colds, it would be reasonable for a consumer to conclude from the statement "kills the germs that cause colds" that the product will prevent colds. Under the law, advertisers must have proof to back up express and implied claims that consumers take from an ad.
  • The FTC looks at what the ad does not say - that is, if the failure to include information leaves consumers with a misimpression about the product. For example, if a company advertised a collection of books, the ad would be deceptive if it did not disclose that consumers actually would receive abridged versions of the books.
  • The FTC looks at whether the claim would be "material" - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product. Examples of material claims are representations about a product's performance, features, safety, price, or effectiveness.
  • The FTC looks at whether the advertiser has sufficient evidence to support the claims in the ad. The law requires that advertisers have proof before the ad runs.
Yep if they don't have it, they are definitely in violation of that one. Since SHU is a material measurable claim that directly relates to the core of marketing for said product.

And if they are running it as a nursery and selling it as a ornamental then I can also show where they are in violation of the same exact thing.

I just had to be apart of this epic thread lol. I believe that if he releases paperwork, more people will buy the seed because its legit. This is NOT eds HOTTEST pepper he has folks! Its the hottest one tht hes selling! Until paperwork has been released, all this is doing is giving Pepperjoe more sales. I suggest we let this thread die. I also find it funny that everyone who wants facts, is now a "hater" just because of this thread, all my future buyings from this company will never happen. Shady guy, shady company. Call me a hater if you want but I want proof not lies.

And just to point out possible conflict of interest here in pepperjoe's postings Notice the part where he is a preferred vendor for them, so he stands to profit from this, and also notice on his linkden account and all over his website he touts being nominated as worlds most influential pepper grower while true, here he admits to never creating a new variety himself which should pretty easily preclude him from that but he uses that as a marketing tool. Since were in the interest of disclosure in this thread, I have no monetary or material interest in this ongoing debate.

Take it as face value but I love this comment,

"For the sake of disclosure…My interest in this is simple…I will probably be one of a few exclusive seed companies to have access to buy the seeds for the next Champion pepper. That’s an attractive option."

And then

"This new Worlds Hottest Pepper will only be available at two Seed Sources."
Sounds like he is one of two sources and stands to profit. So in the interest of protecting consumer opinion, Just read on before you buy!

PepperJoe Says:

Hey Jim,
First off thanks for the Post and clarification from your point of view.
Obviously we have a passion for our businesses in common.
Let me clarify as well.
I had lunch on Friday, Feb. 17th with two fellows that I met at a Home and Garden show and they requested this Business luncheon. We met at T-Bonz in Myrtle Beach.
They disclosed that they have the next Worlds Hottest Pepper that will go public soon. They want me to be a prefferred seed vendor with this pepper.
In THEIR opinion the testing for their pepper is more vigorous and extensive than any of the previous record holders.
I mentioned some other information that i received from them on a blog. It included the 50 poounds of peppers tested, 5 years of testing, the Trinidad/China question, Guiness Book costs up to $30,000 costs and the engineering of 600 Chile varieties.
I can’t validate any of this info personally, but I did then and still do view these guys as very credable and having integrity. Just my opinion, but I’m a pretty good judge of character. And their enthusiasm was contagious.
As far as creating 600 new varieties, I’ve never created a new variety myself , so I’m naive as to the process. (I have geneticly engineered peppers by keeping the best of the best specimen’s seeds for 30+ years).
My guess now in retrospect, is that the 600 new varieties aren’t stabalized. And I took the 5 years of testing at face value…possibly it included the time to stabilize this ONE pepper.
I have no clue as to the Guinness costs or as to what other expenses were included in their $30,000 estimate. I do know the Fast tracking and Adjunctiator fees can make the costs jump up, but I don’t want to answer this on their behalf. I’m just curious Jim, if the Guinness Book of Worlds records is only a “Few Hundred Bucks costs” and a simple process, why didn’t you apply to them for the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion” pepper?
I totally recognize Guiness is no expert on Hot Peppers, but we both know it is a great credability enhancer. Seems like a Cheap Date for a Few hundred?
I’ll be going to meet with this team within 2 weeks and tour their gardens, greenhouse, operations, etc. I’ll ask more questions on these issues that I’m not certain about. I’ll get some pics and all of that stuff to validate the meeting.
For the sake of disclosure…My interest in this is simple…I will probably be one of a few exclusive seed companies to have access to buy the seeds for the next Champion pepper. That’s an attractive option.
It’s also been a blast to be involved on the ground floor for a rollout of the Hottest Pepper in the world.
I even might be the lucky guy to name this new pepper…they tossed a possible name out to me at lunch and frankly I wasn’t impressed.
So I spoke to one of the partners on the phone yesterday and gave him my name recommendation and he really liked it.
He also mentioned on that call that the Guiness people wanted documentation on the Calibration of the equipment being used to validate the heat level for this pepper.
I guess with the proliferation of “Hottest Pepper in the World” claims, they are being much more detailed and involved now before approving anything.
Anyway Jim, congratulations on having created the Hottest Pepepr in the world, the Moruga. That is an incredible accomplishment and I wish you continues success.
By the way, is the actual spelling Moruga or Morouga?
I do respect you and your passion for the business.
Maybe we can chat sometime. My email address is ...............
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe

PepperJoe says:

Get ready to eat your words, Jim.
I toured all of the greenhouses, farms, and visited the University where the Worlds NEXT HOTTEST PEPPER is being grown and Tested this Thursday.
And I can say I’m 100% certain (in my opinion) that this pepper WILL be the next record holder.
And guess what? We have MORE and even HOTTER Peppers in the pipeline.
This is not a short term play.
We expect to roll out many record breakers in the years to come.
The next Hottest (and I’m only guessing…the developer controls the timetable and we’re waiting for the Guinness people to do final validating) should be announced by May ’12.
But whenever it comes out it will knock the Chile Industry on it’s butt.
The testing is so unique, thorough and substantiated…it will be Crystal clear who the new Champ is.
Jim,
You can knock the testing, the University, the Peppers lineage, whatever.
Let’s let public opinion and our thousands of chilhead friends and customers decide.
You can write a Gazillion word refute to this…but why bother?
Most people think you are just protecting your Moruga Pepper (which, AGAIN…congratulations on the great job you did with that)…but let’s let the majority decide.
I’ll send you some FREE SEEDS of our next worlds hottest peppers when I can, then you can grow them and you’ll agree they are
NUCLEAR HOT!!!
icon_smile.gif

This new Worlds Hottest Pepper will only be available at two Seed Sources.
More to follow….
Fiery Regards to all,
Pepper Joe

Don't forget once its on the internet its out there forever.

And to whom this may concerns website this info came from I will credit you if you like but, I did not want any negative attention going that way, I have already emailed you regarding releasing some other information contained there.

Well that contains some answers to the questions that have been asked. It seems that some of the information everyone has been asking for is known, but pepperjoe obviously just doesn't care to share it.

This reminds me of something they teach sales people: Once you have convinced the customer to buy the product, shut up because anything else you say may only get them to change their mind.

While the hp22b seeds are selling there is no need for pepperjoe to jeopardise that by releasing any further information.

My guess is that once sales slow down we will get more information.

Yes, but I don't see how this is relevant.

Edit: In fact, I might be wrong. They were probably traded before Europeans entered the new world. I'm wondering how the Trinidad types of peppers could be from Asian decent as claimed by Ed.

Well, it's been known for a long time that the Naga DNA tests showed it to be an interspecies hybrid, mostly C. chinense with some C. frutescens genes. My 7Pot Primo is a cross between the naga and the 7 Pot.

Now, to know just where the peppers of the world originated from? I think impossible. Ethnobotanist suggest that since the highest concentration of pepper varieties grow in South America, they orginated there and then spread through trade via the Spanish. So, to conclude just where a pepper comes from, you would be studying history and not science.

It's easy to conclude that they originate from the Americas because they did not exist in the Old World before trade with the Spanish and Portugese, just as with many of the other fruits and vegetables that are now common throughout the world...this really wasn't that long ago. There may be some uncertainty just where exactly in South America they originated.

Exactly. I'm struggling to see how one would prove asian provenance by DNA-testing. It's not like there's geolocation-tags in the genome.

Edit: Well, thinking about it, what you could do I guess is comparing the DNA to that of other solanaceae with known origin, the closer the relation, the higher the probability they evolved from the same ancestor (which would suggest proximity)

I wasn't even aware, there was any doubt about the South-American descent of capsicum. But then again I wasn't aware of the fact that there's people out there thinking the moon-landing was faked either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back