• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hybrid Mode 01 2015

IMG_0181_zps49d2ecab.jpg

Everything is looking good, when you planning on planting out? I've been watching the extended forcast and it's looking like things might be "safe" to do it any day now. Not sure how my work schedule is going to cooperate but I was leaning toward doing it as soon as I have a few days to play around. 

D3monic said:
Everything is looking good, when you planning on planting out? I've been watching the extended forcast and it's looking like things might be "safe" to do it any day now. Not sure how my work schedule is going to cooperate but I was leaning toward doing it as soon as I have a few days to play around. 

I started planting my raised beds about a week ago. I just got my last OWs (mustard hab, 7 pot burgundy and bishop's hat) in yesterday. I think I'll plant my containers this weekend (in the garage, cuz of rain). 
     I'm not digging the low 40s in the forecast early next week, but whatever. My plants are tough.

Here's one of my beds. Annuums up front, kind of crowded. I just got the marigolds in today. Right before the storms. OWs are in the back row.
IMG_0305_zpsxad7tvzl.jpg

Another bed. More annuums, more marigolds and a few chinenses. 
IMG_0306_zpsj2w7hj5e.jpg

One more bed. Lettuce, onions, shallots and garlic. And, of course, some marigolds.
IMG_0307_zpspvlotfvo.jpg

Here's one of the mystery annuums I got from CAPCOM. Loaded with flowers!
IMG_0313_zps5pnpg7ct.jpg

I think this is a NuMex Vaquero.
IMG_0314_zpshghj22xy.jpg

Cheiro Roxa.
IMG_0317_zpsautbrwep.jpg

Here's my main tomato crop. I forked the soil about 2' deep and added about 300 lb of compost yesterday. Then I planted my starts, all of which were about 2' tall. The 18" of stem I buried is going to have a fun time sending out roots into that soil!  :party: I mulched the whole mess in about 4" of leaf mold today. 
IMG_0310_zps8gz0kkmx.jpg

Then I ran inside.
IMG_0318_zpsti7ytrdy.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I started planting my raised beds about a week ago. I just got my last OWs (mustard hab, 7 pot burgundy and bishop's hat) in yesterday. I think I'll plant my containers this weekend (in the garage, cuz of rain). 
     I'm not digging the low 40s in the forecast early next week, but whatever. My plants are tough.

Here's one of my beds. Annuums up front, kind of crowded. I just got the marigolds in today. Right before the storms. OWs are in the back row.
IMG_0305_zpsxad7tvzl.jpg

Another bed. More annuums, more marigolds and a few chinenses. 
IMG_0306_zpsj2w7hj5e.jpg

One more bed. Lettuce, onions, shallots and garlic. And, of course, some marigolds.
IMG_0307_zpspvlotfvo.jpg

Here's one of the mystery annuums I got from CAPCOM. Loaded with flowers!
IMG_0313_zps5pnpg7ct.jpg

I think this is a NuMex Vaquero.
IMG_0314_zpshghj22xy.jpg

Cheiro Roxa.
IMG_0317_zpsautbrwep.jpg

Here's my main tomato crop. I forked the soil about 2" deep and added about 300 lb of compost yesterday. Then I planted my starts, all of which were about 2' tall. The 18" of stem I buried is going to have a fun time sending out roots into that soil!  :party: I mulched the whole mess in about 4" of leaf mold today. 
IMG_0310_zps8gz0kkmx.jpg

Then I ran inside.
IMG_0318_zpsti7ytrdy.jpg

Nice! Glad to see you're off to a good start, storms missed us, only ended up with some 20-30mph winds this afternoon. Though it looks like one may be moving in. I left the plants out from 3pm yesterday until like noon today. They all looked good. Glad i haden't planted out yet though or those winds would of beat some of them up. 

All your plants look great and rather happy. 

Just got caught up on everything. Wow wish I was as far along as you. I'm a bit behind on things. Plants are still inside and haven't started to harden off yet. Most have completely outgrown the shelves and are pushing up past the lights. Your soil looks pretty awesome and so do your plants.

santis00 said:
that  cheiro is a beautiful looking plant

Thanks! I'll try to remember to get a shot of it in my next update. It's bustin'!

D3monic said:

Nice! Glad to see you're off to a good start, storms missed us, only ended up with some 20-30mph winds this afternoon. Though it looks like one may be moving in. I left the plants out from 3pm yesterday until like noon today. They all looked good. Glad i haden't planted out yet though or those winds would of beat some of them up. 

All your plants look great and rather happy. 

Thanks. It always makes me feel validated when growers like you complement my plants. Mine have had a rough spring so far, but I like to think that all that wind damage and cool weather will just make them tougher. Chicks dig scars, right?!

Scorched said:
Just got caught up on everything. Wow wish I was as far along as you. I'm a bit behind on things. Plants are still inside and haven't started to harden off yet. Most have completely outgrown the shelves and are pushing up past the lights. Your soil looks pretty awesome and so do your plants.

Speaking of getting caught up on things, I really need to spend some time perusing other members' glogs. I hope your plants are outside by now!
     Thanks for the props on the soil. I've been working on it for four years now and it's still not done. :D  Organic growing takes time to get going, but once it's rolling it's kind of runs itself. Sometimes I think I like growing soil more than I do peppers!

Weather here (Earth) has been kinda fucked this spring, but my plants seem to be dealing with it alright. Wind damage, sunburn (my fault), cool wet (BLS) weather... All leaving a mark, but the vast majority of my plants look pretty darn good if I do say so myself. 
     I have a batch of AACT brewing right now and I'll be spraying tomorrow to combat what appears to be early signs of BLS on some of the plants. I'd like to nip it in the bud before it covers 3/4 of my plants like it did last year. 
     So far my plants seem to be digging my soil this year. I decided to do things differently for this season. I haven't forked the soil in my raised beds since last spring when I added compost. After I removed my plants last fall (dug up OW candidates and cut down all others), I just dumped about 200lbs of compost right on top of the straw mulch I was using last season. Then this spring, I added Tomato-Tone and bone meal to the compost layer and lightly raked it in. Then I added another 200lbs or so of compost to each bed. Even though I didn't work any of these amendments in or fork the soil to loosen it up, it has the texture of a damp sponge and is absolutely FILLED with worms. So far I like what I see!

My annuums are just rockin' this year. Most of them are already bigger than a lot of them got last season. Right now I'm wondering if I planted them too close since I spaced them according to how big they got last year. We'll see. Here's an Aleppo that surprised me today with a bunch of immature pods.
IMG_0347_zpsfh8budh5.jpg

This is a jalapeño grown from seed I got from CAPCOM. I can't wait until that big pod ripens! Beautiful plant, great genetics.
IMG_0348_zps9wr0mdzg.jpg

7 pot Douglah
IMG_0349_zpsu7m9p7mk.jpg

Here's one of the mystery varieties I got from CAPCOM. Its small leaves might make it look kind of spindly and unhealthy, but this plant is just a monster. Covered in flowers as well. It sort of looks like a De Arbol, but with tiny leaves like a serrano. I'm really anxious to see what kind of pods it produces. PM me if you want seeds when pods ripen.
IMG_0350_zpsvyopek8y.jpg

Here's a NuMex Vaquero peeking over the top of a Jamaican Yellow Mushroom. Lotsa pods, lotsa flowers.
IMG_0353_zpsfqb7dsd8.jpg

This is a particularly productive branch on a "not yellow" bhut I OWed from last season. I don't know why photobucket decides to rotate some of my pics. There's no way to rotate them back, so I just stopped caring. Photobucket sucks.
IMG_0354_zpsq53qkby1.jpg

Random annuums
IMG_0351_zpswxakaflz.jpg

This is a 7 pot "not yellow" OW from last season. I had to transplant it from the pot it was in so I could use it for my LOT contender in the growdown. It was either this recycling bin or a garbage can. I'm going to give it to my brother in law to bonchi.
IMG_0355_zpsb26fmugu.jpg

Here's a pic of the same plant from the top. I used this plant as kind of a test subject to see how well a plant would respond to repotting as opposed to just adding fertilizer to the same pot it grew in last year. It seems to be liking its new home despite the rather violent, slapdash job of repotting I did. It was at the end of the day and I was literally punching the rootball to break it up and make it fit into the recycling bin. I'm pretty stoked to see what this plant turns into in a few years!
IMG_0356_zps9xaifsuu.jpg

That's all I got for now. With any luck I'll have an update with a few ripe pods soon. I hope everybody (and their plants) are putting up with this weird weather. Stay tuned and, as always, thanks for stopping by el jardin del dash-o dos!

Heckle said:
Nice plants.

10Q, bruddah. All organic, you know. I got the idea for the no-till mulch and compost application from you. My dirt wants to high-five you.  :cheers:

juanitos said:
Looking good, love the big canopies on some. That ow is a monster.

Thanks, OK. Yeah, that 7 pot is the biggest pepper plant I have ever grown. I couldn't believe the rootball on that thing when I pulled it out this spring. All 15 gallons came out at once in one solid piece, held up by that paper towel roll-sized trunk. It took a lot of punching, ripping and swearing to reduce it to the size where it would fit in the recycling bin.
     The soil I transplanted it into was a diluted version of the stuff I cooked for my main grow. I'm excited to see what the rest of my plants can do with it when they get over their transplant shock once they get their pot filled with roots.
     I have a TS CARDI that I potted up similarly that I need to get some pics of. It is doing similar things (going nucking futs) as that 7 pot, but starting as a slightly smaller plant. (It was grown in a 5 gallon bucket its first year instead of a 15 gallon pot.) Still a really impressive plant with a big opaque canopy, though.

D3monic said:
Don't need me to validate anything, hell your plants are looking better than mine at the moment. Those overwinters are beasts and looking great. 

XD I just got them in the ground earlier, that's all! Your plants are trees, man. A little more time hardening and yours would would look pristine. No matter, though. Healthy plants like yours have plenty of energy stored in their roots that will allow them to dominate your raised beds in short order. I bet your plants really start to explode with all that warm, sunny weather in the forecast this week.
     I'm actually having second thoughts about giving my brother in law that plant right away. Maybe I'll hang on to it for the summer, just to see what happens if I transplant it into, say, a 20 or 30 gallon pot.  :shocked: Just for shits and grins. Maybe I'll sell pods in hopes of making a return on this hare-brained venture...  :clap:

D3monic said:
you should, it's a sexy plant, let him have the burden of over wintering it. That's his cost for getting such a nice big plant next spring. 

Done deal! I like the way you think. No I gotta head to Farm King to get the stuff I need to make some more soil. If I start it this week, it ought to have plenty of time to cook before that 7 pot outgrows it's recycling bin. I might just plant it in a 30 gallon garbage can (to save money  :rolleyes: ). 

:drunk: And lemme tell ya' somethin' else. First thing tomorrow morning, that plant is goin' out front where it'll get full sun all day long! IT'S AAAAHWWWNN, BEEATCHAAAZZZZ!!!

D3monic said:
you can rotate pics in photobucket, click the edit button, Its a box with a paint brush on it, then click orientation. 

lol I have tried that many, many times. It appears to rotate the pic when I view it in photodumpster, but after I post it it always reverts back to the original. Thanks, though. 

I too made the mistake this year of too-close spacing for several of my plants that are turning in to huge producers, but it's a problem I don't mind having.

That overwinter is just enormous; bordering on "tree" at this point.

KingLeerUK said:
I too made the mistake this year of too-close spacing for several of my plants that are turning in to huge producers, but it's a problem I don't mind having.

That overwinter is just enormous; bordering on "tree" at this point.

Yeah, I still have a hard time envisioning full grown plants in my beds. Oh well, as long as I keep spraying AACT I should be able to keep away the BLS that seems to result from overcrowding. 
     That 7 pot is getting a little ridiculous. We got a storm Wednesday night with a 55 mph gust clocked at the airport that tipped it over. Luckily there was no damage. I'm just glad no one was standing under it when it fell.  ;)

Pepper-Guru said:
Great looking beds!

Thank you. I attribute a lot of my success to all this good Illinois topsoil. All I've ever added to the beds is compost and some organic amendments. No topsoil or soilless mix. My plants seem to like what I'm doing!

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
nice overwinters! i got to do that this winter.

Thanks! If you have the room indoors (and an understanding spouse  :D ), it is very worth it. You will be amazed with the precocity and abundance of a second year grow, for sure. 

First goat's weed pod. Many more to come for sure, this plant has really taken off in the last week or two.
IMG_0386_zpsnjjxbj0y.jpg

Chablis bell. Really productive, great tasting F1 variety.
IMG_0384_zpsc0ygle0l.jpg

Serrano grown from seed I got from CAPCOM. I swear, when these start turning red I'm just going to sit down in a lawn chair next to the plant with a beer and chow down!
IMG_0387_zpsps08iorz.jpg

Tekne Dolmasi, lookin' fly, fo' sho'! 
IMG_0390_zpsa3nedxi3.jpg

First cheiro roxa pod.
IMG_0391_zpsueoq3mus.jpg

Serrano OW. I swear, this plant is more flower than anything else!
IMG_0392_zpsblg68vag.jpg

Mustard fatalii. 
IMG_0393_zpsxnqs17zy.jpg

Chocolate hab with beautiful branch structure. This is what I shoot for when I prune my plants. Good alternate branch spacing that starts 4"-8" off the ground. It allows plenty of air flow and give slugs a hard time that want to crawl up the plants and feast. It also helps keep pod-laden branches off the ground.
IMG_0394_zpsc9w0wp2q.jpg

Group shot.
IMG_0395_zpsbsfb3odr.jpg

Petunias, marigolds, begonias, lantana and prickly pear.
IMG_0383_zpsuxd78ot8.jpg

Could I get a bump, pork a whore? I have a few more odds and ends.

Back