• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Hydroponic Mango Tree

I have been watching this thread since you started it. I am in awe at how quickly your mangos from seed sprouted. they look very hearty and healthy too. Nice work!!! Can't wait to watch your babies grow more :)

Good luck with your guy Slashroot. Hope he comes back. I know it's probably way different then pepper plants but your soil looks pretty wet. I agree probably could use more light and heat maybe? i don't know like I said probably way different then a pepper. Just my thoughts.

Very cool thread to check out.
thanks mate! I'll keep the photos coming to help it stay interesting!

I have been watching this thread since you started it. I am in awe at how quickly your mangos from seed sprouted. they look very hearty and healthy too. Nice work!!! Can't wait to watch your babies grow more :)

Good luck with your guy Slashroot. Hope he comes back. I know it's probably way different then pepper plants but your soil looks pretty wet. I agree probably could use more light and heat maybe? i don't know like I said probably way different then a pepper. Just my thoughts.

Very cool thread to check out.

The soil was watered just before taking picture, normally keep the mango on the dry side at least now during the colder days. I have moved the mango tree away from it previous location, now it's in my grow tent with light(about 78F in there). The stem is still green so hopefully it will shoot new growth :)

I just noticed the bottom of the stem look strange, is it a graft? Or planted on rootstock?

No sings of new growth but wouldn't expect it. Think maybe in a months time it should be doing something.

P1040093_zps2dc7e273.jpg

I'm not sure whats happening there? looks like it gets thick at the bottom?
could be grafted if thats the case...but I've never seen a grafting so low, its all usually above ground. So maybe its not grafted at all?
on the mango I put in the big system the stem just turns straight into the main tap root with no real change of thickness or colour. Was strange....the stem is the root.

I'm not sure whats happening there? looks like it gets thick at the bottom?
could be grafted if thats the case...but I've never seen a grafting so low, its all usually above ground. So maybe its not grafted at all?
on the mango I put in the big system the stem just turns straight into the main tap root with no real change of thickness or colour. Was strange....the stem is the root.

It sure gets a lot thicker at the bottom, strange if it was grafted that low indeed. I dunno what to make of it hehe

Very nice growth, been checking in a couple of times to see if you updated but wasn't anything before now hehe

My plant don't have any signs of new leaves coming just yet. Good thing is that the stem is still very healthy and green, no more browning!

There is no way you can keep that growing in a DWC is there? I got 4 mango trees (different varieties)on my property back home in the Caribbean and they are at least 2 feet across at the base and nearing 40+ feet tall. What are your future plans for these?

Very nice growth, been checking in a couple of times to see if you updated but wasn't anything before now hehe

My plant don't have any signs of new leaves coming just yet. Good thing is that the stem is still very healthy and green, now more browning!
Nice! Hopefully it pops some new growth soon!
I did plan on updating more often, as I see new things happening but I started thinking other people might not see the difference and then there would be a whole bunch of photos up that look very similar. So these days I'm trying to wait a while inbetween updates so the difference is obvious.

There is no way you can keep that growing in a DWC is there? I got 4 mango trees (different varieties)on my property back home in the Caribbean and they are at least 2 feet across at the base and nearing 40+ feet tall. What are your future plans for these?
These are more flood and drain than dwc.
The two I have outdoor I'll probably leave as is. The one in the smaller container is a dwarf mango and the one in the big blue drum is normal. the 200ltr mango should be ok....to a certain point. I'm not going to grow any 40 foot monsters i dont think. I'll need to control the size with pruning.
The indoor hydro I'll just have to see how it goes....if I like the look of it come next spring I might transplant into a 200ltr drum or I may plant into soil in a half wine barrel.
I think to a certain degree these trees will be restricted in size because of the root system not getting as big as they would normaly. But at the same time because they are hydro they might still get really big because the root system doesn't need to be too big to get what it needs. I'll just see how it goes, I havn't really planned this out perfectly, I guess its all a bit of an experiment.
I just wanted to see if i could get mangos to work, because my dad never had much sucess with them. I dont have any spare soil to plant in so it had to be hydro.

I put the seed in the soil at the beginning July, and it popped out about a month later. It grew to the size it is now minus that one big leaf which it was getting when I brought it inside in October. It's just sat on the floor next to the slidding glass door until today when I thought it would benefit from being under the lights for the peppers. How old is yours?

I put the seed in the soil at the beginning July, and it popped out about a month later. It grew to the size it is now minus that one big leaf which it was getting when I brought it inside in October. It's just sat on the floor next to the slidding glass door until today when I thought it would benefit from being under the lights for the peppers. How old is yours?
my indoor hydro mango from seed is about 3 weeks old now, and 30cm tall.
I'll post some progress pictures tomorrow probably.
I'm not sure how old the outdoor mangos are...they were bought as grafted plants, one could be a few years old and the other might be a year? I'm not sure

because of my careless staking I think I damaged one of the branches! it died off so I gave it the snip!
The bottom part of the new growth is still going very well!
P1030628_zpsc66536bc.jpg

P1030629_zps8fa14da4.jpg

Good and bad!
We've had a couple of severe heat waves and I dont think the mangos have been enjoying it, too hot and dry! It finally cooled down to 30c yesterday but I think its too late for that mango. I think they can only take so many days of 40c
The one in the small container looks like its dying.
The Indoor mango is going very well!
The outdoor mango in the big drum is doing well! a little slow but its not dying atleast!
P1030725_zps5529493b.jpg

P1030722_zpse8294fbb.jpg

P1030727_zps9f4339aa.jpg

Back