• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce I just got f%^Ked for 4 hours by an extract sauce

7034744_700b.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
F%^K extract sauces! NO MORE!

The name doesn't matter so don't ask. You know what you're getting into. But this stuff should definitely have a waiver. And don't do a spoonful on an empty stomach. EVER! Screw that. Just don't do it. The extract wreaks havoc on your insides. It knocked me out of commission for 4 hours. In severe pain. Brutal pain! I can take the "burning" of the mouth, with any pepper, and even an extract sauce. The problems come about 20 minutes later when you feel like devil is inside you with a chainsaw in one hand, and a flame thrower in the other. Burning and jabbing for 4 hours!

Phew. I finally feel okay. Just had to say that.

If you don't have a New Year's resolution yet, I suggest you kick extract cold turkey!

:D

Oh yea I tried some and kiiled me for 2 hours. I gave mine away.

Yeah. Extract gut burn is no joke.  Had that happen on a several occasions.

I ended up on the can, slumped like a lifeless doll, limbs dangling for about 45 mins
Going "urrgggh !! OMG ! aaarrhhh.. Sheeee-it, jesus, oh no, goddamn"  etc. SWEATING like crazy but having zero power in my limbs. You just want to collapse on the floor in the fetal position.
Eventually I FINALLY managed to muster up the strength to haul my battered carcass to my bed, where I tossed and turned for another hour or so,  wanting to be put out of my misery. 

Then suddenly it was over. 

But it really IS brutal. It sucks HARD.  

The only bottle I have around is Blair's megadeath. I keep it around for the loud mouth people who think they can handle hot stuff because they ate a jalapeno popper or some other such nonsense. Megadeath isn't even all that hot as far as extract sauces go, but it is still damn hot. 

JayT said:
I have a feeling come Saturday, I am going to have a similar post, but mine will say 24 or 36 hrs...

All 10 drops, right?  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:

Pepper extract.
Hash oil for the chilehead.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I think I'll stick to things with actual peppers innit, not the distilled essence of OMFG.

After trying "The Source" on a toothpick...I retired from extracts.

And as most have mentioned...the taste is awful. Pure nasty.

Let nature do the job and work with fresh pods and natural techniques for sauces, cooking, etc.

Boss, have you contacted the company yet about the ingredients?

BigBevo said:
After trying "The Source" on a toothpick...I retired from extracts.

And as most have mentioned...the taste is awful. Pure nasty.

Let nature do the job and work with fresh pods and natural techniques for sauces, cooking, etc.

I did the same, at least stuff that hot, until yesterday.  I tried SL' Pure Evil 9.6 and it is very different.  Almost no taste, just heat.  Might just change your mind.

Im sure I will come under fire from the purists (most people on here it seems!) but I want to defend extract sauces. Anyone else on my side?! I don't want you assume I'm just a tasteless, bravado seeking fool either! I do love serious heat but also flavour too. I've really enjoyed most of the extract sauces I've had and find even the pure extracts have a place in the kitchen. Although I would like to take a moment to slam 'temporary insanity' by dave's gourmet. I recently opened a bottle and it is grim, I guess my experience with it is what people say about extract sauces in general, a nasty fake taste and fast acting negative effects on the gut! It is my first and most likely last bottle of dave's sauce. Anyway thats just my opinion anyhow...

The only extract sauce I plan on keeping is my bottle of "The Hottest Sauce in the Universe" from Pepper Palace. I actually kind of like the flavor of that one... other than that, I have been thinking of throwing mine out... or at least not buying any more of them.

Perhaps if it isn't already made, we could make a thread that lists the common "disguises" for extracts in the ingredients list. Just list off the different names so no one is fooled.

Daves Insanity seriously blows, except every year they put out a collectors edition with no extracts, using a different SuperHot each year.

Once you get into the world of hot sauces made naturally without extracts, you will find you extract collection dwindle.

Blair's was 1989 and Dave's was 1993, as far as extract sauces, Blair was first. As far as seriously "hot" sauces non-extract I would say neither were first. Plenty of hab sauces in the markets for awhile. Most said Made in Costa Rica. There were various brands but none more popular than the other including Dave's.

Strange said:
The only extract sauce I plan on keeping is my bottle of "The Hottest Sauce in the Universe" from Pepper Palace. I actually kind of like the flavor of that one... other than that, I have been thinking of throwing mine out... or at least not buying any more of them.

Perhaps if it isn't already made, we could make a thread that lists the common "disguises" for extracts in the ingredients list. Just list off the different names so no one is fooled.

extracts are often listed as-
oleoresin
chile/pepper oil
pepper/chile extract
oleoresin of capsicum 

Anyone else think of how they're listed?????
(edit to include JayT's comment)
"Natural Pepper Flavoring, and Natural Capsaicin, Pure Capsaicin"

THP started this thread because the ingredient on his sauce read "capsicum" which means a chile pepper in some form (dried, fresh, mash).  "Capsicum" should be the pulp of the chile, the seeds... not chile extract/oleoresin etc.

AND!  while we're on the topic, most "extracts" are compounds, meaning they are a capsaicin oleoresin mixed with vegetable oil.  If properly labeled the sauce should call out those sub-ingredients, but most don't. 

And :welcome: to THP.

Well I don't remember, I wasn't into it then. You old bastige lol.

I thought those Costa Rican brands were credited as starting it all, when the hab was first getting popular back then. And American companies were co-packing out of Costa Rica. Various brands are still around. I forget the names. They had tropical labels.

I don't think an actual history exists on the net, that would be a good read!

Back