• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

It's like being in the stone-age

Someone go out & fix this before I go nuts.

Customers please be advised you may experience slows or congestion when accessing internationally hosted web sites. This is the result of a fibre break in the US caused by a landslide in Portland, Oregon. Confirmation has been received from the US that due to severe storms in the location of the fibre break, this issue will be ongoing for the next 14hrs. Work on restoring the fibre break will commence at daybreak US time. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Omri said:
My Internet connection isn't that fast to begin with, but I don't see any slowdowns.

I think your connection would go through Europe & west, mines going through Asia & east.

I require my 2 Mb/s to sustain my nerdness. :D

Apparently my connection isn't that slow, it's a 1.5MBit/s one.
I thought I was the last one with that kind of speed. :P
Just a couple of days ago I talked to someone about loading a stream video, and warned her that it might take a couple of hours.
Five minutes later she was done loading. :(
My connection is with me for years, that's why it's so slow.
Just so you know, some people in France have a direct fiber optic connection. :(

bentalphanerd said:
are you on ADSL Omri or cable?
ADSL to the death! :hell:
We had ADSL before cable, and I got mine a long time ago. :rolleyes:
Also at some point the cable network centers were overloaded, so it sucked.
Now it's all good, but I still have my old ADSL connection. :cool:

Cool - i had the opposite experience...moved once to a suburb that only had ADSL....it was pathetic for me. Now I have the fiber come into my router & out to my 5 comps...2 TB + of space. Need my speed. I spent the last 12 hours going through my terrabytes looking for a bug, until I saw that explanation on my ISP site.

check this out Omri..

**Warning** Please only try this if you know your way around a computer - if the instructions don't make sense -Please dont try this**

To speed up broadband try here first to test yr speed - www.bandwidthplace.com (or http://www.speedtest.net/) - then here to apply a reg patch - www.speedguide.net/downloads.php - reboot- then run the first test again. removal tool also available from 2nd link.

See how you go it increased my connection speed by 30%

No more than 2%-3% increase.
BTW I'm not that stupid, I know my way around a computer.
I actually took a class about micro-architecture in computer chips.

Omri said:
No more than 2%-3% increase.
BTW I'm not that stupid, I know my way around a computer.
I actually took a class about micro-architecture in computer chips.

good result - you must have that thing well tuned.

The warning wasn't aimed at you - it'll be the next people to read this thread I worry about :cool:

chip architecture now thats getting down to the nuts & bolts! So whats your verdict - AMD or pentium :P

bentalphanerd said:
good result - you must have that thing well tuned.

The warning wasn't aimed at you - it'll be the next people to read this thread I worry about :cool:

chip architecture now thats getting down to the nuts & bolts! So whats your verdict - AMD or pentium :P
Don't you mean K10 or Penryn and later Nehalem?
Well Penryn is just a modified version (smaller fabrication and added transistors) of the already structured Core, and it kicked K10's ass.
So my guess is that the new vector processing based Nehalem would make K10 its b1tch.
Better infrastructure resulting in amazing in-chip communication, better memory and QuickPath - AMD's worst nightmare.

True it looks like a dream...until like most others...you put it in a home environment (where I am) 30 - 40C room temp & they start to screw up.

AMD run at higher temps & so cope with the climate here better (unless you have air-con 24/7)...Still need to take the covers off the box & leave the windows open.

I have repaired an AMD where the cpu fan had stopped for 6 weeks in summer inside an apartment...customer complained that it was getting slower. :lol: I replaced the fan & its still working now as far as I know. P? would melt & die I think.

bentalphanerd said:
True it looks like a dream...until like most others...you put it in a home environment (where I am) 30 - 40C room temp & they start to screw up.

AMD run at higher temps & so cope with the climate here better (unless you have air-con 24/7)...Still need to take the covers off the box & leave the windows open.

I have repaired an AMD where the cpu fan had stopped for 6 weeks in summer inside an apartment...customer complained that it was getting slower. :lol: I replaced the fan & its still working now as far as I know. P? would melt & die I think.
You're talking about ancient CPUs.
The new Quad-Core Penryn has an output of 130W, and you know what? it can deal with a lot more.
150C is still a safe temp for it to work.
Although 85C is the expected temp for performance reduction.
The Nehalem CPUs are supposed to be a lot cooler, with less output.

Back in the days old K7 CPUs would have explode if you didn't cool them properly, while Netburst CPUs could handle it without a problem.

True, I haven't met any quad core yet....happy with my 64x2 for now.

The chip temp will increase though against room temp...especially if the fan stops. And of course outside of the controlled environment that all the tests are done in.

Bring on the octo-core I say :P

bentalphanerd said:
True, I haven't met any quad core yet....happy with my 64x2 for now.

The chip temp will increase though against room temp...especially if the fan stops. And of course outside of the controlled environment that all the tests are done in.

Bring on the octo-core I say :P
My workstation is based on a V8 system, which basically is a sample package of two Quad-Core Xeon X5365 CPUs and an Intel S5000XVN motherboard for reporters (it's all about connections ;)).
I'm using the stock coolers, and it's working fine for me, even at 35C-40C.
And you know what? if you can afford a $1,200 CPU, you can also afford a $50 cooling solution for it.

Now about the Octo-Core. :cool:
The Nehalem micro-architecture is a native Quad-Core chip, which means we'll see some Octo-Core MCM version of it.
Intel also resurrected the HyperThread technology, so just imagine a 16-thread machine. :)

I have to ask, but I'm not sure I really want to know :scared:

Omri are you taking over the world with that thing?

I spend $2000 on my whole workstation but it's for dragging data off broken HDD's and maintaining a few websites.

What are you up to....or is that a national secret :silenced:

bentalphanerd said:
I have to ask, but I'm not sure I really want to know :scared:

Omri are you taking over the world with that thing?

I spend $2000 on my whole workstation but it's for dragging data off broken HDD's and maintaining a few websites.

What are you up to....or is that a national secret :silenced:
I spent about $1,000 on that workstation, not including old FB-DIMMs I got from a friend and a Quadro I already had for a couple of years.
So maybe my system is worth more than yours, but I did not spent that much on it.
Half of it just free samples manufacturers send to reporters. :lol:
But that's not the computer I'm using for web surfing, music and stuff, I love it too much for me to load junk on it.
I'm using an FX-55 system for all of the 'usual' stuff.

What am I doing with it? Mostly graphics.

sounds very cool...may I have your computer scraps? I'm running a 2 x 2 GB matched pair of RAM to take up the slack, 300 GB Seagate SATA 2 doesn't hurt either, another 2.2 TB on a 400 Mbs LAN so I dont bog down my system...but yer, had this for nearly 2 years...time to upgrade again :P

who do you report for Omri? By the way love your artwork, you have a great talent there. I'll be getting some shirts but after xmas when the budget is more robust.

Back