• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

It's like being in the stone-age

XD, alright. Well, in that case...looks like I'm stuck with this one for about 2 more years =P (Car money > Computer money...>.>; )

~Trexxen

bentalphanerd said:
1.53 GHz, and 480 MB of RAM... dude my toaster could beat that in chess.

Start thinking new system.
Well it's not enough just saying "1.53GHz". It depends on the type of CPU.
It also sound really weird having 480MB of RAM, what kind of configuration is that? :shocked:

Shit I have dial up at home.... When I get there after working on the network all day the last thing I want to do is go on at home. Its getting to the point where I need it for the kids school work :sigh: so it looks like DSL is on the radar

You want funny?

220 kbp/s DL
213 kbp/s UL

...and I'm on DSL with a 2G P4 and 1G RAM.

You think I could score better than that!!!

I looked at the modification site and decided it was best not to DL it. I wouldn't know what to do once I had it.

DevilDuck said:
You want funny?

220 kbp/s DL
213 kbp/s UL

I looked at the modification site and decided it was best not to DL it. I wouldn't know what to do once I had it.

that still sounds better than mine :(

DevilDuck said:
You want funny?

220 kbp/s DL
213 kbp/s UL

Are we talking about bits or bytes?
If you're talking about bits, it's a pretty decent connection.
But if you're talking about bytes, it's a pretty sick connection, especially the upload rate.

3.72megabits per second
454.22kilobytes per second

one site said
4335kb down
661 up
from another site
All I have is an amd xp2000(1.7 gig processor)gig of ram and 400 gigs of harddrive packed full of goodies lol

Internet speed isn't really related to hardware.
Well it is to the network cards and/or I/O (such as USB and FireWire), but even the really old ones are just fine for the average connection.

EDIT:
Those 'Thoroughbred' are some of the best chips AMD has ever made.
They heat up really fast, but they are all about power. They kicked that 'Northwood' ass.

Omri said:
Internet speed isn't really related to hardware.
Well it is to the network cards and/or I/O (such as USB and FireWire), but even the really old ones are just fine for the average connection.

Thats what all pentium buyers say when they hear about what AMD can do.

Omri said:
EDIT:
Those 'Thoroughbred' are some of the best chips AMD has ever made.
They heat up really fast, but they are all about power. They kicked that 'Northwood' ass.

Sounds like you have a real good stable system there...just what everyone wants.

bentalphanerd said:
Thats what all pentium buyers say when they hear about what AMD can do.
Who buys Pentium anymore? :lol:
The only Pentium chips out there are the Pentium E ones (Allendale), and they kick the cost equivalent AMD chips, well at least around here.
From my experience the prices are different from country to country, so maybe you can find even more powerful AMD chips in that price range.

I used to not like amd for the fact they were notorious for problems in the old days(half probably from overclocking improperly)but since I built this puter well its a work horse..I love it...I dont play games just surf the net and get e-mail..im still trying to convivce myself to upgrade but cant justify it...I have to say I like amd...

Canuk Pepperhead said:
I used to not like amd for the fact they were notorious for problems in the old days(half probably from overclocking improperly)but since I built this puter well its a work horse..I love it...I dont play games just surf the net and get e-mail..im still trying to convivce myself to upgrade but cant justify it...I have to say I like amd...
For basic stuff, you don't need something better.
You can even use something older.
The new AMDs got their ass kicked, but the old ones are way better than the equivalent Intel. I just don't like Netburst CPUs.

this thread makes me sleepy .......lol

If I can't flick it on and it runs I throw myself to the ground and chuck a tantrum till the wife or my nerdy brother fix it...its all true lol

stillmanz said:
this thread makes me sleepy .......lol

If I can't flick it on and it runs I throw myself to the ground and chuck a tantrum till the wife or my nerdy brother fix it...its all true lol
lol im the nerdy guy that fixes every ones puters around here

I'm actually getting 46.6 K on my dialup here. It's like someone invented the wheel but I'm still waiting for the axle.
My boys computer went BSOD and constant auto reboot today. Didn't bring an xp cd & neither of us have a floppy drive to run drive checks from.
I slaved his off mine. copied the 'software & system file from his C:Windowsrepair folder & pasted them into his C:WINDOWSsystem32config folder {after renaming the same name files that were there}
It booted up but lost all the drivers - a few trips through Add/Remove Hardware & told xp to auto install each one (they were still in the sys32 folder) All is working again.
Normally I'd have left it until I got home & run a repair from xp cd....but he's got all the music on his system....it was an emergency.

Asleep yet Stillmanz? :lol:

Back