• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jamison's "Red Dirt Grow" PLANTOUT 5/4/14

It's that time of year again, although a couple weeks behind. I just arrived in Tennessee, moving from Wisconsin not even two weeks ago. The fam and I are all settled in and I'm officially ready to start some seeds! Being in a completely different part of the country, and growing in completely different soil than I'm used to, I still have high hopes. I'm sure I'll be able to whip a garden into shape in no time. I'm def gonna have to get out there very soon and till a large plot. Enough blabberin, I'll get to a list. I'll also list the seed source if I'm sure of where I got them. Seeds are going to soak in distilled water for 20-24 hours starting tonight or tomorrow morning and most will be put into Rapid Rooters soaked in a weak solution of Kangaroots and water, and a few in soil with a heat mat underneath the germ tray. I have a few Manzanos sprouted already, a couple Rennie clones, and a White Devils Tongue sprouted and working on it's first true set of leaves. I'll try to fill this with as much useful info, pics, and hopefully vids as I can. Thanks for checkin this out!

Added 1/21/14:

Brown Moruga - PepperLover
7 Pod Lava - PepperLover
Pink Tiger - Denniz via Enrico
Yaki Blue - Denniz via Enrico

Annuum:

Hungarian Hot Wax - Grocery Store find
Serrano
Jalapeno "Cracked" - PepperLover
Giant Jalapeno - PepperLover
Urfa Biber - Buckeye Peppers
Bells > Red, Yellow, Orange
Goat's Weed - from my 2013 grow

Chinense:

7 Pots:
White - PepperLover
Yellow - PepperLover
Bubblegum - Bjarnes, CMPMAN
Primo - Pepper Lover, and from saved seeds from my 2013 grow
Large Red - PepperLover
Original - PepperLover
SR Strain - RFC
Rennie Red - Cloned from last years plant
Rennie Brown - Buckeye Peppers

Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw - Bakers via Fatalii.net
Chocolate Scorpion - from my 2013 grow
Red Bhut Jolokia - PepperLover
White Bhut Jolokia - Coheed
Bhut Orange Copenhagen - GaGrowhead
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp - RFC
Moruga Caramel - JungleRain
Moruga Chocolate - JungleRain
Carolina Reaper - from my 2013 grow
MoA Scotch Bonnet - from my 2013 grow
Bahamian Goat - JungleRain
Jamaican Hab - Walkgood
Habanero Cappuccino - JungleRain
Primo x Chocolate Hab - JungleRain
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet - AjiJoe
White Devil's Tongue - GaGrowhead
Red Habanero - Buckeye Peppers
Trinidad Congo Red - Buckeye Peppers

Frutescens:
Thai Orange - Buckeye Peppers

Pubescens:
Manzano - Seed Train (Arkennon?)

Jamison said:

I feel ya there man! I'm pretty sure I'll like it too!

Ramon! You know the MoAs will forever have a spot in my garden. Have some of your famous JA Habs soaking as well. I can't wait to see how the MoA's turn out too. Def something to be looking forward too. I wish I wouldn't have indulged soooo much on those last year, now I barely have any left. I did make some beef patties yesterday with a couple of JA Habs tho mon!

Thanks! I might have to add some more Jalapeno's tho I'm thinkin.

Thanks for the welcome! Was a little homesick at first, but loving it more day by day.

Hey Jesse! Thanks for the info. The neighbor told me that the dead end road I live on use to be a cotton field, so might get lucky. I def am gonna start a compost pile in the very near future and probably a worm bin. Def looking forward to the longer season and warmer climate!

Thanks Neil!

Thank you Judy! Lovin it more and more each day. Such a beautiful state! Can't wait for 70's. Even these 40 degree days feel like spring to me lol. Thanks for the info. I've been meaning to research the soil around here and find somewhere to test it. I appreciate the welcome, and all the seeds as well!!

Thanks! Should be enough to keep me warm next winter. I'm also looking forward to seeing some my pics!!
Can't have to many Jalapeno's :D

Jamison said:

Thanks Scott! Too funny about the leaf collecting. My yard is littered with leaves that I was gonna put to good use! Actually been seeing a few deer every time I've been driving. Mostly at night tho. All does, they're soo tiny around here. I'm use to them monsters up north. Seen a bigger doe tonight tho. They're def around. Got my boy out the other day for his first lesson on his compound. He's only 6, gotta start em young tho. He's loving it here, shooting bows and his BB guns.

I work for a school district, the grounds people have been raking leaves, I asked them to put the bags in my truck, so far 4 full truck loads. Can't beat that, just unload and pile.

And yes the further south you go the smaller the body size, but usually the amount one can harvest goes up too as the population is higher down south. Here we can harvest 5 deer, 3 buck tags, or 5 does. More than we can eat!

Glad you have your son starting early. I did the same with my son, started taking him hunting when he was 5...talk, talk, talk he did...never saw any deer on those hunts...LOL good memories.

Have a great weekend!

Hey THP! I'm back after switching ISP's. The new connection is much, much faster. Added 4 more strains to list in the past couple days. I have to thank Judy and Denniz for sending me some seeds! Anyways I added, 7 Pod Lava, and Brown Moruga from Judy and Pink Tiger, and Yaki Blue from Denniz. Seeds got soaked the other night and planted this morning. Also got a really good start on tilling a garden in. Here's a couple pics. Probably gonna go twice this big. Haven't tooken a tape measure to it yet.

Nice, I agree with JJJ, that soil looks fantastic.  In that first picture, are those pine seedlings to the right?  If so, they'll eventually cause trouble as they grow, though from the second photo, it looks like they're at least 10' or so away, in which case, it might be a few years before you start noticing anything.

Jamison...........dude that's a perfect color soil ..a mix of black and brown..........where's the red ?
Your weather must really be nice...I can see buds on the trees.......... :cool:
If I had a plot that big it would just be for Bonnets..........hint..hint.....and I'd cut out and till a few more....for the rest of the c.chinense
Have fun with the 2014 grow

That's the first thing I thought, not red clay as I know it, you know the stuff where the tiller either skims over the top or yanks your arms out of the sockets ;)

So your darn close already with that soil, and lucky. Looks like it has a lot of humus in it already.

What kind of grass is that? Don't know if it's Bermuda or if it grows there, if so it will try to come back. Bermuda has runners, so if that's the case try and rake out as much as you can.

Enjoy the getting ready, it's half the fun!

BTW, Thanks for the Manzano seeds, they're already in the dirt!

Sawyer said:
I hate Bermuda.  I've had it come up through 18" of mulch. 
Nothing really kills it. I keep a 2 foot boundary sprayed with roundup on windless days so it doesn't creep into the garden. I still have it trying in the garden, one has to be right on top of it and dig it down when it pokes out of the ground.

If it's dry repeated deep tilling works well, but if it rains and root pieces are there you've just made things worse. That's why I brought it up, not sure if Jamison has ever run into it...

Thanks for the comments everyone! That picture isn't the greatest. I'll have to take another pic to show the red more. I was fairly surprised at how nice it did look, and there wasn't any rocks to be found. The neighbor told me that this whole area use to be a cotton field. I kinda figured it would be decent soil. Wasn't easy to till what so ever. Think I got er pretty fluffy now. That little bit took me about 9 hours to do. Anyways, seeds have been sprouting, and lots of little hooks that are visible. Set up the T5's on a makeshift PVC stand. Got a couple out of the germ tray and planted into solo cups with Ocean Forest and of course a sprinkle of Mykos.

Seeds that have germinated:

Jalapeno "Cracked"
Urfa Biber
Thai Orange
Large Red 7 Pod
Goat's Weed

Triple coty Manzano.

Looking good Jamison! Here we go!

Nice pics, I hope to have some pubes posted real soon!

Wife's asking 'bout the camo cups..

When the garden is hard I water and wait a few days, don't want to till mud, just soften. Dude! 9 hours with a front tine tiller?

Isn't youth wonderful? ;)

Came home to this last night!

Over half of the seeds have germinated already. Less than a week. Fastest germ rates I've ever had. Wondering if it has to do with that Kangaroots I soaked the rapid rooters in. And who says you can't germinate seeds in Ocean Forest? It's always worked for me. Def proves that it's not as "hot" as people think. Have about 20 seedlings to pot up today. I'll take some more pics later.

Back