• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jamison's "Red Dirt Grow" PLANTOUT 5/4/14

It's that time of year again, although a couple weeks behind. I just arrived in Tennessee, moving from Wisconsin not even two weeks ago. The fam and I are all settled in and I'm officially ready to start some seeds! Being in a completely different part of the country, and growing in completely different soil than I'm used to, I still have high hopes. I'm sure I'll be able to whip a garden into shape in no time. I'm def gonna have to get out there very soon and till a large plot. Enough blabberin, I'll get to a list. I'll also list the seed source if I'm sure of where I got them. Seeds are going to soak in distilled water for 20-24 hours starting tonight or tomorrow morning and most will be put into Rapid Rooters soaked in a weak solution of Kangaroots and water, and a few in soil with a heat mat underneath the germ tray. I have a few Manzanos sprouted already, a couple Rennie clones, and a White Devils Tongue sprouted and working on it's first true set of leaves. I'll try to fill this with as much useful info, pics, and hopefully vids as I can. Thanks for checkin this out!

Added 1/21/14:

Brown Moruga - PepperLover
7 Pod Lava - PepperLover
Pink Tiger - Denniz via Enrico
Yaki Blue - Denniz via Enrico

Annuum:

Hungarian Hot Wax - Grocery Store find
Serrano
Jalapeno "Cracked" - PepperLover
Giant Jalapeno - PepperLover
Urfa Biber - Buckeye Peppers
Bells > Red, Yellow, Orange
Goat's Weed - from my 2013 grow

Chinense:

7 Pots:
White - PepperLover
Yellow - PepperLover
Bubblegum - Bjarnes, CMPMAN
Primo - Pepper Lover, and from saved seeds from my 2013 grow
Large Red - PepperLover
Original - PepperLover
SR Strain - RFC
Rennie Red - Cloned from last years plant
Rennie Brown - Buckeye Peppers

Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw - Bakers via Fatalii.net
Chocolate Scorpion - from my 2013 grow
Red Bhut Jolokia - PepperLover
White Bhut Jolokia - Coheed
Bhut Orange Copenhagen - GaGrowhead
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp - RFC
Moruga Caramel - JungleRain
Moruga Chocolate - JungleRain
Carolina Reaper - from my 2013 grow
MoA Scotch Bonnet - from my 2013 grow
Bahamian Goat - JungleRain
Jamaican Hab - Walkgood
Habanero Cappuccino - JungleRain
Primo x Chocolate Hab - JungleRain
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet - AjiJoe
White Devil's Tongue - GaGrowhead
Red Habanero - Buckeye Peppers
Trinidad Congo Red - Buckeye Peppers

Frutescens:
Thai Orange - Buckeye Peppers

Pubescens:
Manzano - Seed Train (Arkennon?)

Jamison, gorgeous land, man. And while ya might have some Bermuda (red clay element loves it), I wouldn't trade red clay base for any soil. Cotton? Does cotton rob land of N or put it back in? Or has enough time elapsed that it doesn't matter? But if cotton grew there, anythang will grow there!

I love the look of that and I imagine know that it was a t-total beotch to get to looking that way! I agree with JJJ--lots of mulch this year--can you get your hands or truck on some composted horse manure or if it's a little hot now, it won't matter by plant-out.

NICE!! :party:

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow fast germers! Nuts!

Looks like the red dirt grow is taking off!!!

I was extremely surprised! Happy tho!

Devv said:
Now we're talking!
That's what I'm sayin brotha!

annie57 said:
Jamison, gorgeous land, man. And while ya might have some Bermuda (red clay element loves it), I wouldn't trade red clay base for any soil. Cotton? Does cotton rob land of N or put it back in? Or has enough time elapsed that it doesn't matter? But if cotton grew there, anythang will grow there!

I love the look of that and I imagine know that it was a t-total beotch to get to looking that way! I agree with JJJ--lots of mulch this year--can you get your hands or truck on some composted horse manure or if it's a little hot now, it won't matter by plant-out.

NICE!! :party:
Hi Annie! Thanks for the awesome comments! I hear it's decent stuff to grow in. Cotton field was here years and years ago. Next time I see my neighbor out I'll ask him about it again. Beotch is a good word for it. It was hard as hell. After running through it couple more times, hopefully with some sort of compost added, like you said, I will get it a little looser. Def can find some mulch around here. After this year I won't till it anymore. I really need to start a compost pile in the near future. Thanks for stoppin by!

Outta likes, J. Harbor Freight has a propane torch on sale for that Bermuda. It's there, lurking, Jamison. Southern soil? It's there. Am going to torch Bermuda and any other invasive this year with that thing. Good plan on horse stuff. Ya only have to do it once, if amply applied and then go compost pile. Again, you'll love clay-based soil, aside from the hell of tilling it, initially, which you've already done . . . or so you think as I see more garden in that space! :party:

Whoa! that's fast for half!

I'll bet that torch would be good on grass. Just wear it to the garden every time you go. Diligence it the Bgrass trick whatever the weapon. I didn't have much when I first plowed year before last, but I kept it from going to seed and didn't have much the year after. 

Since we typically push right up to frost for those last pods, getting a cover crop in around early Oct with a productive crop in the field is tricky. I used a hoe to lightly chop the seed into the soil around the plants. It's better than nothing. Getting the dead pepper plants out of the way after killin' frost helps it too. 

lookin' good

Actually got a torch! I lit an ant hill on fire the other day. That grass goes up like saw dust. Put er out real quick. Even my 6 year old boy didn't think it was a great idea lol. Def got a bunch more garden to till up. I wanna go at least twice that size. I'm planting tons of other veggies too, so gonna need the space!

Find you some local chicken manure too. That stuff is like magic once it's aged!
Organic matter of all kinds!
Pump up the microbes with some tea and you are going to have a forest!
Soil really does look good to start with. I'm a bit jealous of how much exposure your garden will get and size possibility. I'm embedded in pine trees so limited.

annie57 said:
Outta likes, J. Harbor Freight has a propane torch on sale for that Bermuda. It's there, lurking, Jamison. Southern soil? It's there. Am going to torch Bermuda and any other invasive this year with that thing. Good plan on horse stuff. Ya only have to do it once, if amply applied and then go compost pile. Again, you'll love clay-based soil, aside from the hell of tilling it, initially, which you've already done . . . or so you think as I see more garden in that space! :party:
I read up the other day, and it does well there. Mine was here when I moved in. It can be kept at bay, but as JJJ said "Diligence".

I have a couple of spots of bermuda in the garden.  I'll go on a digging tear now and then and pretty much keep it at bay.  It's great in the yard, though.

For any kind of manure you're bringing in, it's better to pile it up away from the garden and let it go through a proper compost, than to spread it green on the garden, even if there's time for it to break down before planting.  You never know what kind of weed seeds might be in there, and a good composting cycle will usually kill those seeds.

+1 on 50!

I have trouble maintaining the heat because compost dries out so fast here. Just tons of weed seeds were introduced.

Well guys,  been slacking a little on the glog here.  Added a few more varieties again, and have mostly everything sprouted and under the T5s.  THis house is sooo dry, been having to water more frequently than I'm use to.  Also got a SMOKIN deal on 2 60lb. bails of Promix BX.  Guy had them behind his pizza place and I asked him what he was gonna do with em.  I offered him $20 for the both of em and he said yes!!!  I gave him the $,  loaded up the bails and got the hell out of there.  He must not have known how much they are worth.  Oh well for him!  Here is a couple pics.  Mostly everybody is working on their 1st and 2nd set of true leaves.  

7Pod SR 

Bahamian Goat

Manzano

Goats Weed with a lil sunburn.

7Pod Lava

Pink Tiger,  have 3 goin.

White Devil Tongue,  lookin crippled.  It got topped a couple days ago.  Hopefully new leaves will look healthier.

The rest of the crew.

ProMix.  Cause pics or it didn't happen.

meatfreak said:
Looking good there, Jamison. Which 7 Pot Lava do you grow, the red or yellow one?

Thanks Stefan!  They are the Red Lavas.  Can't wait for them pods!
JJJessee said:
Moving along nicely.
Are you doing any containers this year? 
Thanks Triple J!  I might do a few containers this year,  and mostly just for seed purposes.  I sowed 4 more Rocoto varieties this morning,  and if they sprout they will be going into containers so I can keep them in the shade.  I know the sun is hot down here!

Back