• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jamison's "Red Dirt Grow" PLANTOUT 5/4/14

It's that time of year again, although a couple weeks behind. I just arrived in Tennessee, moving from Wisconsin not even two weeks ago. The fam and I are all settled in and I'm officially ready to start some seeds! Being in a completely different part of the country, and growing in completely different soil than I'm used to, I still have high hopes. I'm sure I'll be able to whip a garden into shape in no time. I'm def gonna have to get out there very soon and till a large plot. Enough blabberin, I'll get to a list. I'll also list the seed source if I'm sure of where I got them. Seeds are going to soak in distilled water for 20-24 hours starting tonight or tomorrow morning and most will be put into Rapid Rooters soaked in a weak solution of Kangaroots and water, and a few in soil with a heat mat underneath the germ tray. I have a few Manzanos sprouted already, a couple Rennie clones, and a White Devils Tongue sprouted and working on it's first true set of leaves. I'll try to fill this with as much useful info, pics, and hopefully vids as I can. Thanks for checkin this out!

Added 1/21/14:

Brown Moruga - PepperLover
7 Pod Lava - PepperLover
Pink Tiger - Denniz via Enrico
Yaki Blue - Denniz via Enrico

Annuum:

Hungarian Hot Wax - Grocery Store find
Serrano
Jalapeno "Cracked" - PepperLover
Giant Jalapeno - PepperLover
Urfa Biber - Buckeye Peppers
Bells > Red, Yellow, Orange
Goat's Weed - from my 2013 grow

Chinense:

7 Pots:
White - PepperLover
Yellow - PepperLover
Bubblegum - Bjarnes, CMPMAN
Primo - Pepper Lover, and from saved seeds from my 2013 grow
Large Red - PepperLover
Original - PepperLover
SR Strain - RFC
Rennie Red - Cloned from last years plant
Rennie Brown - Buckeye Peppers

Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw - Bakers via Fatalii.net
Chocolate Scorpion - from my 2013 grow
Red Bhut Jolokia - PepperLover
White Bhut Jolokia - Coheed
Bhut Orange Copenhagen - GaGrowhead
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp - RFC
Moruga Caramel - JungleRain
Moruga Chocolate - JungleRain
Carolina Reaper - from my 2013 grow
MoA Scotch Bonnet - from my 2013 grow
Bahamian Goat - JungleRain
Jamaican Hab - Walkgood
Habanero Cappuccino - JungleRain
Primo x Chocolate Hab - JungleRain
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet - AjiJoe
White Devil's Tongue - GaGrowhead
Red Habanero - Buckeye Peppers
Trinidad Congo Red - Buckeye Peppers

Frutescens:
Thai Orange - Buckeye Peppers

Pubescens:
Manzano - Seed Train (Arkennon?)

Great-looking plants and a helluva deal on the Promix.  Hopefully the bales actually did belong to the pizza guy.

I like the PVC.  Do you have any stability problems with that set up, without lateral support?

Jamison said:

Thanks Stefan!  They are the Red Lavas.  Can't wait for them pods!
Thanks Triple J!  I might do a few containers this year,  and mostly just for seed purposes.  I sowed 4 more Rocoto varieties this morning,  and if they sprout they will be going into containers so I can keep them in the shade.  I know the sun is hot down here!
Yeah, they looked great on pictures. I'm trying the Yellow one myself this year.

I'm jealous......your plants are moving right along.........and you scored a couple of bales............at a dirt cheap price. I got a feeling the pizza sauce might be alittle bit bland at that joint. The dude was probably going to grow Basil, Thyme, Oregano and Fennel...with that Pro-mx........... :liar:

I can't wait to see the rows of Tennessean homegrown peppers.

That garden plot looks awesome. I wish I had a place to be able to put in a plot or a greenhouse. Unfortunately I'm renting and really don't want to invest in the land. With my luck the landlord would raise the rent on me for improving the place!

Neil

stickman said:
Lookin' good great Jay! Keep up the good work! 3-coty Manzanos... wow! Are they still growing well?
Thanks Rick!  Still going strong and just planted a few more Pubes!

Devv said:
Good work there Jamison!

Plants are looking stellar!

Most excellent score on the Promix!
Thanks man!  Excellent indeed!

scratchzilla said:
What a nice sized plot! Can't wait to see it ful!
I also can't wait to see it all filled up.  Missing all the fresh vegetables and pods!

Sawyer said:
Great-looking plants and a helluva deal on the Promix.  Hopefully the bales actually did belong to the pizza guy.

I like the PVC.  Do you have any stability problems with that set up, without lateral support?
Hey Sawyer!  No stability issues.  Seems to do the trick. Next year I'll def build something more efficient.

PIC 1 said:
I'm jealous......your plants are moving right along.........and you scored a couple of bales............at a dirt cheap price. I got a feeling the pizza sauce might be alittle bit bland at that joint. The dude was probably going to grow Basil, Thyme, Oregano and Fennel...with that Pro-mx........... :liar:

I can't wait to see the rows of Tennessean homegrown peppers.
You crack me up Greg!  Glad you stopped by!

Blister said:
That garden plot looks awesome. I wish I had a place to be able to put in a plot or a greenhouse. Unfortunately I'm renting and really don't want to invest in the land. With my luck the landlord would raise the rent on me for improving the place!

Neil
LOL at the landlord raising rent!  I wouldn't doubt it for sure.  Damn people.  Thanks for checkin in!

Jamison, your goats weed flakes are fantastic! Been subbing them for cayenne in a couple of dishes and eating them straight on pizza. Easily in the top ten on my annuum list. Thinking of putting another seed in a pellet. According to Shane they make good bonchis too.

Time for an little update boys and girls!  The babies been getting nothing but plain ol' water except the last round of watering I added some CaMg+.  Foliar fed once with some worm tea and thats about it.  I think I'll get lucky with not having to transplant into bigger containers.  Seems like they will be fine for the rest of the month in their solo cups.  As soon as the weather is consistently nice,  I'll put them out on the front porch with eastern exposure to harden em off.  Can't wait for that.  I really want to get some tomatoes started along with other veggies as well.  I have another light,  but am honestly too lazy to find a spot to set it up for the other veggies.  Who knows, might get some motivation somewhere to do that.  Been tilling the garden still,  It's roughly 20x40 right now.  Would like to get another couple rows in but damn,  this soil is hard!  That tiller is kickin my ass!  Here's a couple pics for you wonderful people here.

The Rocoto Crew.  Seeds from Nigel and GaGrowhead.  Thanks guys!

Red Congo Trinidad

Yellow 7

Goat's Weed

Urfa Biber

Pink Tigers

Orange Thai

Yaki Blue

Chocolate Scotch Bonnet

All the babies.

Gonna have to take inventory again.  Added a bunch more.  Will post a final list up soon.  C'mon April!

April is just one windy month away.

Looking stellar, Jamison.
I've read, been advised, and finally got around to apply green sand. Actually it's a special clay that helps "breakdown" or increase the tilth of ordinary clay.

The good thing about clay is, by the time you get it fully amended, you have 2-3 times as much soil as you started with ;)

JJJessee said:
April is just one windy month away.

Looking stellar, Jamison.
I've read, been advised, and finally got around to apply green sand. Actually it's a special clay that helps "breakdown" or increase the tilth of ordinary clay.

The good thing about clay is, by the time you get it fully amended, you have 2-3 times as much soil as you started with ;)
Thanks Triple J!  A few amendments and I should have er for this year I hope!  Only time will tell.

Those tigers are some beautiful plants!

Overall the grow is on track for a great season. Plants are happy gals!

Yeah, when I was your age I had a front tine tiller, they can wear you out!

Don't know how heavy your soil is, but I have in the past watered mine really well a week in advance so the tiller would go deeper. Just sayin' ;)

Spicegeist said:
Y7 & Pink Tigers are my faves from above, they're looking really good!

Im gonna have to agree with ya on that!

GA Growhead said:
The tigers are beautiful! Rich purple leaves! Glad the pubescens are up!

The Tigers are very aesthetically pleasing.  Can't get enough of em myself.  Pubes are up and runnin!  Hopefully get some pods before the year ends, otherwise their coming in for the winter.  Thanks for stoppin bud!
Devv said:
Those tigers are some beautiful plants!

Overall the grow is on track for a great season. Plants are happy gals!

Yeah, when I was your age I had a front tine tiller, they can wear you out!

Don't know how heavy your soil is, but I have in the past watered mine really well a week in advance so the tiller would go deeper. Just sayin' ;)
I love them Tigers too man.  Soo, so cool lookin.  Front tine tiller is what I'm using in fact.  And what a beast it is.  Been tilling a couple days after it rains... def makes a difference!  Got a couple 3 bags of shredded leaves today to throw in there and gonna have to go back and grab some mulch to go with it.  Give er the deep tilling after that. and hopefully the plot will be ready.  Then I gotta throw a fence up around it for all these damn dogs in the neighborhood.  Thanks for stoppin by Scott!

+1 on the fence. Totally worth it. I have the rabbit fencing. Tighter holes on the bottom and 2.5 ft tall I think. Keep the kids and dogs out, even though the dog will jump the fence and hang with me while I'm inside. She stays out otherwise.
My tiller if front tine also. Beasting it the whole time!

Anything worth doing is always a lot of work in the preparation stages J, but it pays bigtime at the finish. The nice thing about it is that once you've broken up the sod and compacted soil, if you take care not to pack it down again and keep adding humus every year it'll never be this hard again. Nice looking nursery ya got there too, and lots of Pubes... good on ya!

Everything lookin real nice there Jamison. How are you enjoying this here southern life? I know you'll definitely have a much longer growing season which is always a plus.

We need to have a get together soon. According to the phone gps, we're 2 hours 4 mins apart or 118 miles lol. Once the season really kicks in, I really think we should man. What you think?

Back