• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Have you thought about picking the pods off to force it to become stronger?

Bajio takes some time to get ripe, they stay a shiny dark green forever before they start to turn.  I also had issue with the tips if they touched the ground.  
Jeff, I thought about it, but it is still early and getting pods over the winter is so cool. Below are a few more. 

Montmorillonite said:
I grew Pasilla Bajio this year and they really liked taking their time to ripen. They were their final size quite fast but then - it takes ages.
Good to know. Hopefully they won't take as long as some of my supers did, but I'll get an early start for sure just to give them all the time they need. Probably sowing all the annuums within the next couple of weeks . Sooner if I loose my patience. 

Penny said:
That's a great list for the upcoming year!!! Those burritos sounded soooooo good too!
Thanks for stopping in Penny. Best wishes to you for the new year .

A couple more pics of the pods and flowers in the grow room. 

Several giant jalapenos. 
20131226_181532.jpg

Paper Lantern- there must be 100 flowers on this plant. Lots of drops, but some are pollinating. 
20131226_181559.jpg

Yes, Look at that . You aren't seeing things. The flower is purple. Hoooooooooot. Monzanos coming (as long as the flowers don't drop.)

20131226_181628.jpg

Jeff H said:

Thanks Paul.

As I wrote in post 91, I've been liking the adobo sauce and plan to make some this year and I think I want to make a mole sauce too. It would be great if I can can these, but I doubt they are acidic enough, but since they are made with dried chilis, I guess I wouldn't have much trouble making them in the winter once I had the chilis. This has prompted me to add several new chilis to the list so that I can make the ancho, pasilla and guajillo peppers necessary for the sauces. Since my garden really can't take more than 50 plants, I have to make some cuts. The revised grow list is below and it totals 57 plants. I don't realistically think I can cut this down much more, so I'll have to maek the garden bigger. :D

Chinense - These will be in either pots or hydro.  
Bhut Jolokai
Indian Carbon
Naga Morarch
Reaper
Jigsaw
Paper Lantern
Caribean Red
MOA Scotch Bonnet  

Pubescens- These will be either in pots or hydro.
Monzano
Red Rocoto    

Baccatum-In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Bishops crown
Aji lemon drop
Brazilian Starfish    

Frutescens- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Tabasco    

Annuum- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Big Jim
Anaheim
Giant Jalapeno
Numex jalmundo
Hot wax
Red Thai/Orange
Cayenne
thick cayenne
Jamacian Mushroom
Hot Cherry      
Pablano- ancho when dried.
Pasilla Bajio
mirasol- guajillo when dried

All the cininense and pubes are either planted or already growing with the sole exception of the MOA. I have seeds coming for that one. The rest will be sown some time in Jan once I have all the seeds and some time.
Hi Jeff,
   You're growing Big Jim Anaheims and Pasillas, and I'm growing Chimayos, Goat's Weed and Pequins, but basically we're growing similar lists. I tried growing Pasillas for 2 years and had a problem with blossom end rot both seasons. I had much better luck with Chilhuacle Negro, which has a very similar flavor to the Pasillas. Chimayos are one of the tastiest and most aromatic of the southwest chiles... you might want to try it someday.

stickman said:
Hi Jeff,
   You're growing Big Jim Anaheims and Pasillas, and I'm growing Chimayos, Goat's Weed and Pequins, but basically we're growing similar lists. I tried growing Pasillas for 2 years and had a problem with blossom end rot both seasons. I had much better luck with Chilhuacle Negro, which has a very similar flavor to the Pasillas. Chimayos are one of the tastiest and most aromatic of the southwest chiles... you might want to try it someday.

Yes Rick, I noticed that we are growing quite a few similar peppers. I grew pequins last year and while they were a great pepper, picking to billion 1/4"x1/2" pods gets old. Same reason I am not growing tepins. I needed a break from the little guys. 

Thanks for the heads up on BER on the pasillas. I had a few peppers suffer last year although not many. I keep a bottle of Cal-Mag handy once peppers start growing. + plenty of egg shells in the compost pile for the in ground plants. 

Quite a few of the milder to medium peppers are slated to be roasted and/or dried and used in different sauces. It should be fun to experiment with various mexican sauces this year. Spiced up with a little super hot powder for me though. Most of the family likes it milder. I know you do a lot of the same. I'll be keeping an eye out for your creations too. 

When I started the flood and drain table I knew that the roots would overtake any pot that I put them in since they would be living here for 6 months before going back outside so I looked for the best container I could think of to air prune the roots so they wouldn't get root bound.

Seems to be working well. I imagine when I repot this plant in the spring, it is going to be nothing but one giant root ball.
20131229_174108.jpg

Great to have some monzano flowers, but sadly, this branch had to be trimmed yesterday. Still December. Can't let them get too big yet. On the upswing, every time I trim the plant, I seem to get two new branches forming. Growth should be very full in the summer with all those branches.
20131229_174131.jpg

I still have quite a few monzano buds that didn't get trimmed. It will be pretty cool to have monzanos in Feb.

Jeff H said:

Thanks Paul.

As I wrote in post 91, I've been liking the adobo sauce and plan to make some this year and I think I want to make a mole sauce too. It would be great if I can can these, but I doubt they are acidic enough, but since they are made with dried chilis, I guess I wouldn't have much trouble making them in the winter once I had the chilis. This has prompted me to add several new chilis to the list so that I can make the ancho, pasilla and guajillo peppers necessary for the sauces. Since my garden really can't take more than 50 plants, I have to make some cuts. The revised grow list is below and it totals 57 plants. I don't realistically think I can cut this down much more, so I'll have to maek the garden bigger. :D

Chinense - These will be in either pots or hydro.  
Bhut Jolokai
Indian Carbon
Naga Morarch
Reaper
Jigsaw
Paper Lantern
Caribean Red
MOA Scotch Bonnet  

Pubescens- These will be either in pots or hydro.
Monzano
Red Rocoto    

Baccatum-In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Bishops crown
Aji lemon drop
Brazilian Starfish    

Frutescens- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Tabasco    

Annuum- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Big Jim
Anaheim
Giant Jalapeno
Numex jalmundo
Hot wax
Red Thai/Orange
Cayenne
thick cayenne
Jamacian Mushroom
Hot Cherry      
Pablano- ancho when dried.
Pasilla Bajio
mirasol- guajillo when dried

All the cininense and pubes are either planted or already growing with the sole exception of the MOA. I have seeds coming for that one. The rest will be sown some time in Jan once I have all the seeds and some time.
Very nice Jeff and thanks again for the spacing info you have me back in my glog. I see what you're going for here. I am trying to get that other bed, but if I don't I am following a similar regimen. May put two big pots on the sides of my bed as well.

Keep up the good work!

Somehow missed these photos last time. Maybe because I checked the forum on the phone.

Jeff H said:
Jeff, I thought about it, but it is still early and getting pods over the winter is so cool. Below are a few more. 

Good to know. Hopefully they won't take as long as some of my supers did, but I'll get an early start for sure just to give them all the time they need. Probably sowing all the annuums within the next couple of weeks . Sooner if I loose my patience. 

Thanks for stopping in Penny. Best wishes to you for the new year .

A couple more pics of the pods and flowers in the grow room. 

Several giant jalapenos. 
20131226_181532.jpg

Paper Lantern- there must be 100 flowers on this plant. Lots of drops, but some are pollinating. 
20131226_181559.jpg

Yes, Look at that . You aren't seeing things. The flower is purple. Hoooooooooot. Monzanos coming (as long as the flowers don't drop.)

20131226_181628.jpg

Jeff H said:
When I started the flood and drain table I knew that the roots would overtake any pot that I put them in since they would be living here for 6 months before going back outside so I looked for the best container I could think of to air prune the roots so they wouldn't get root bound.

Seems to be working well. I imagine when I repot this plant in the spring, it is going to be nothing but one giant root ball.
20131229_174108.jpg

Great to have some monzano flowers, but sadly, this branch had to be trimmed yesterday. Still December. Can't let them get too big yet. On the upswing, every time I trim the plant, I seem to get two new branches forming. Growth should be very full in the summer with all those branches.
20131229_174131.jpg

I still have quite a few monzano buds that didn't get trimmed. It will be pretty cool to have monzanos in Feb.

The giant jalapenos look great. Jalapenos have become a staple of mine. Going through almost a lb a week. Got to get them growing again soon.

Gonna have some monzanos in the winter time? These winter pods are amazing. Keep posting pics!

I only have a few minutes to post tonight so I'll respond to all of your replies tomorrow while I'm supposed to be working.  :shh:  but in the mean time I needed to get a shout out. 

Came home to a couple packages. Our friend Ramon sent me some wonderful seeds. I asked him for some MOA seeds in trade. He sent me this without wanting  anything in return. Thanks Ramon, and my offer is still open, if you see anything on my grow list, don't hesitate to ask. 

White Ghost and MOAs hit the dirt tonight. 
20131230_183033.jpg

Next up is the seed order I placed for some of my last peppers to fill out my grow list. Tomatillos too.  :dance:

20131230_183133.jpg

HB Jeff, I'll get some tomatillo seeds out on Thursday, I'm too busy today and tomorrow. One package had quite a few more seeds than the other so you'll get more of those. 

All you plants look super healthy and green. What are you using for nutes and what strength are you running them at? I had been running mine at about 700 ppm, but was getting crumpled leaves. Things really started to smooth out when I dropped back to 500ppm or so.

Neil

orangehero said:
You do know reamer seeds is one of the worst vendors out there, right? It might just be cayenne seeds in five different envelopes. And why is a ladybug eating a pepper?

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32012-reimer-seeds

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25908-reimer-seed

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/7520-dealing-with-reimer-seeds-read-before-ordering-from-them/

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1681

Actually, I didn't know that. I picked them because what I bought was largly a vegetable order; I just needed a few more peppers to round out the list.

Thanks for the heads up, but considering that I ordered fairly common peppers like poblanos and other annuums, I think I will be fine. Just to be on the safe side, I will germinate one of each later tonight. The Annuums should be flowering by sometime in March so I'll have time to get new ones if these aren't as advertised.

Regarding seed vendors: It seems that most everyone uses openly pollinated plants so there is always a chance of not getting what you ordered. This happened to me a couple times over the years and I've even had issues with some of the best vendors here at THP. Most everyone will try to make things right if you are polite in dealing with them. If I do have issues, I'll post the issue and how it was resolved right here.

If growing a certain type is real important to you, grow multiple plants and if possible have seeds from various sources in case something doesn't grow true.

This was one of my best. The company remains nameless since they were decent to deal with. This is a "Bhut Jolokai" from last year.
IMAG0159.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Very nice Jeff and thanks again for the spacing info you have me back in my glog. I see what you're going for here. I am trying to get that other bed, but if I don't I am following a similar regimen. May put two big pots on the sides of my bed as well.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for stopping in and keep going on your grow, it is looking good.

HillBilly Jeff said:
That root ball is a monster.  And I must admit jealousy on your manzanos!!!

Keep in mind that plant is 13 months old by now. It didn't really perform worth a darn last year.

Devv said:
+1 on 108!

Have  a Happy New Years!
Happy New year to you too Devv. Can't wait to see how 2014 goes.

maximumcapsicum said:
Somehow missed these photos last time. Maybe because I checked the forum on the phone.

The giant jalapenos look great. Jalapenos have become a staple of mine. Going through almost a lb a week. Got to get them growing again soon.

Gonna have some monzanos in the winter time? These winter pods are amazing. Keep posting pics!
I've never had a monzano in the winter. It will be pretty cool if I can get them to pollinate.

stickman said:
That's some basket o' roots Jeff! Your plants should just take off when you put them out in the spring. Continued success my friend! :dance:
Thanks Rick.

Blister said:
All you plants look super healthy and green. What are you using for nutes and what strength are you running them at? I had been running mine at about 700 ppm, but was getting crumpled leaves. Things really started to smooth out when I dropped back to 500ppm or so.

Neil
Somewhere around 5-600ppm. In the flood table, I am running 1/2 strength with equal parts of Flora Duo A and B mixed with some Cal-Mag. In the pots, I am using 1/4 strength and even that is too much for some of the smaller plants. I have 2 small ones with nute burn on the leaves. They just get straight water until they recover.

Penny said:
Nice surprise to come home to Jeff....Happy New Year... :dance:

Happy New year Penny.

There's some confusing terminology used by hobbyists and commercial growers. Usually when most commercial seed vendors say "open pollinated", this just means that the plants were allowed to pollinate through natural means (i.e. self-pollinate). This is as opposed to an F1 hybrid, not that the plants were not isolated for purity. Commercial/scientific terminology uses OP vs Hybrid, while hobbyists here use OP vs Isolated. 

But you can't ever guarantee 100% purity.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28641-open-pollinated-do-you-know-what-it-means/

Jeff H said:

Actually, I didn't know that. I picked them because what I bought was largly a vegetable order; I just needed a few more peppers to round out the list.

Thanks for the heads up, but considering that I ordered fairly common peppers like poblanos and other annuums, I think I will be fine. Just to be on the safe side, I will germinate one of each later tonight. The Annuums should be flowering by sometime in March so I'll have time to get new ones if these aren't as advertised.

Regarding seed vendors: It seems that most everyone uses openly pollinated plants so there is always a chance of not getting what you ordered. This happened to me a couple times over the years and I've even had issues with some of the best vendors here at THP. Most everyone will try to make things right if you are polite in dealing with them. If I do have issues, I'll post the issue and how it was resolved right here.

If growing a certain type is real important to you, grow multiple plants and if possible have seeds from various sources in case something doesn't grow true.

This was one of my best. The company remains nameless since they were decent to deal with. This is a "Bhut Jolokai" from last year.
IMAG0159.jpg

Good advice, and a good way to insulate yourself from all kinds of problems. Didn't know about Reimer seeds. Wonder if they're doing anything to fix their reputation.

orangehero said:
There's some confusing terminology used by hobbyists and commercial growers. Usually when most commercial seed vendors say "open pollinated", this just means that the plants were allowed to pollinate through natural means (i.e. self-pollinate). This is as opposed to an F1 hybrid, not that the plants were not isolated for purity. Commercial/scientific terminology uses OP vs Hybrid, while hobbyists here use OP vs Isolated. 

But you can't ever guarantee 100% purity.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28641-open-pollinated-do-you-know-what-it-means/

Yeah I'm not 100% sure why "open pollinated" would be prefered to F1 hybrids from a natural growing/organic standpoint. Doesn't seem inherently more sustainable, just more proprietary, but if the ultimate end is to naturally improve the strain what is the problem?

Always good to insulate yourself from true growing problems. Too bad I can't cut down my grow list... got to have tons of plants!

It's not a natural growing/organic standpoint, it refers to how the plants are pollinated. Commonly F1 hybrid seeds are manufactured to produce plants with specific traits (e.g. Early Girl tomato). You have to purchase those hybridized seeds every year. Varieties that can be "open pollinated" are true breeding and will grow the same generation after generation (e.g. heirloom tomatoes). How professionals use the terms, unless you specifically created hybridized seeds, you would call the plants "open pollinated". Whether it was isolated for purity is a different question, but if a seed vendor is reputable you can assume that to be the case as it's basic practice.

Back