• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Devv said:
Jeff,

I've had mixed results from online sources, mainly germ rates.

Nice score on the seeds from Ramon!

I have 20 or so going from his seeds, and grew the JA Habs last year. Good stuff!

Once again Happy New Years!

I agree on the mixed results. It really is a gamble. 

The JA hab was something Ramon threw in. I hadn't previously considered growing it. Since you grew it last year, what do you think about it? Taste? I might add it to the list. 

The Naga Morarch was the first hydro to get transplanted. Both in soil and hydro, the naga morarch is dwarfing the Indian Carbon that was germinated at the same time. Weird. 
20131231_193628.jpg

The Jigsaw will be next, it is getting big. 
20131231_193645.jpg

Rocoto- as usual, they grow slower than the chinense . :rolleyes:  It will be a little bit before this one needs to be transplanted, but it is still growing strong. 
20131231_193711.jpg

I'll have some more seeds hitting the dirt today. Let's get 2014 started with a bang. 

Jeff,

Plants look great! So now they go to dirt? Or upped to larger hydro pots? (hydro clueless here:)

The JA Hab is definitely worth a try, I think you'll like it. I have 3 OW's and 3 or 4 new ones. When my wife, who doesn't care for the heat, asks me to go and pick a JA for the chicken quesadilla, I know it's a keeper!

Happy New Year!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking plants.  As far as the JA, I tried one last year and it tasted pretty good. It is on my list for this year to grow.

Thanks for your input on the JA, anyone know the history of this pepper? Your tomatillo seeds go out in the mail tomorrow, so you should see them by Sat. 

Devv said:
Jeff,

Plants look great! So now they go to dirt? Or upped to larger hydro pots? (hydro clueless here:)

The JA Hab is definitely worth a try, I think you'll like it. I have 3 OW's and 3 or 4 new ones. When my wife, who doesn't care for the heat, asks me to go and pick a JA for the chicken quesadilla, I know it's a keeper!

Happy New Year!

Real good chance I'll end up starting at least one. I really was trying to limit the peppers to 50-60 plants, but the more I germinate, the more I think that limiting to such a low number is futile. I really don't have the room for more, but I'll need to make room I guess. 

Started some extras and some new peppers. Below are MOAs, white ghost, paperlantern, red ghost, monzano, Numex jalamundo, giant jalapeno, pablano, mirasol, bajio, bishops crown, brazilian starfish, and aji lemon. This is all until I start the balance of the annuums late this month of Feb. 
20140101_104923.jpg

Update on the lettuce: thyme and romaine on the bottom row are doing good. bibb lettuce and arugula on the top are doing good as well. 2-3 weeks till harvest by the looks of it. The napa cabbage on the top was a mistake. That thing is enormous. I won't be planting any more of those indoors. 
20131231_192507.jpg

Nice hydro setup Jeff. And interesting observations on what kinds of greens work indoors and don't. I keep toying with the idea of growing spinach inside, but I'll need a bigger place before I mess with that.

Excellent variety of peppers in the dirt. Can't wait to see the hooks!

Any tips on growing tomatillos? How much space do they take up in the garden? Do you need to cage them like tomatoes?

Devv said:
I must admit you have the hydro thang down for sure!

I need to point my brother to your grow, he's in Vermillion
Thanks Scott but I'm still fairly new at the hydro stuff. Just dove in head forst a little over a year ago. Vermillion isn't really close. I'm in the south west corner, but if he is up for a drive, we have plenty of hot stuff to keep him warm.

Vegas_Chili said:
Nice plants Jeff!!

I'm digging the pubes, nice to see flowers on them already.

Looking forward to seeing how you transplant to soil. Hope you have a great year :cheers:

-Walt

Thanks Walt. The 8 plants in the flood table will stay in hydro forever. The 3 overwinters were in the hydro garden all last year and they will go right back. I do a drip system from a common reservoir. Last year I used hydroton in large net pots. This year I will be using a ton of perlite instead. The plan is to have a total of 9 hydro plants. I'm still waiting on the MOA to germinate and fill the last spot.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice hydro setup Jeff. And interesting observations on what kinds of greens work indoors and don't. I keep toying with the idea of growing spinach inside, but I'll need a bigger place before I mess with that.

Excellent variety of peppers in the dirt. Can't wait to see the hooks!

Any tips on growing tomatillos? How much space do they take up in the garden? Do you need to cage them like tomatoes?

Spinach would be good indoors. I will be trying that soon. I already have some seeds.

No idea on the tomatillos maxcap. I tried them last year in a garden with terrible soil and they really didn't produce at all. this will all be new territory for me. I plan on giving them each 1 sq.ft. just like the tomatoes. That may be too crowded though. I guess we'll find out later this year. :D

Nice score, Jeff on the JA Hab from Ramon: it's the only red hab, per se, that I'll grow from here on out. I tried Caribbean Reds for years and a lot of companies push those off as Red Bonnets: not. But compared to the height and size and mostly flavor of the JA Hab: the plant is a miracle, in my opinion. Just amazing trooper and huge pods of sweet heat.

I've had issues planting tomatillos at same distance as tomatoes because they're self-infertile. So, last year, I put four on top of one another, caged in about 5' high tomato cages, in a raised flower bed and dang, had tomatillos forever. One, the bees drawn to flowers--tall ones too--black-eyed susans, some Shasta Daisies on steroids, and coneflower brought the bees to the tomatillos, close in together. Everybody's mileage may vary but happy with that set-up and gonna do it again this year.

Love the hydro! Plants look amazing! I may eventually break-down and go for it. Good luck on pubes! Not me again. I had flowers that dropped and finally in October, it got cold enough for a few pods on red rocoto. But pods never ripened. But I really wish you luck with them as I know it can be done. Rick, Shane, lots of folks do but I think . . . gonna sit them out this year--sad too, prettiest flowers among peppers. Tisk.  ;) 

annie57 said:
Nice score, Jeff on the JA Hab from Ramon: it's the only red hab, per se, that I'll grow from here on out. I tried Caribbean Reds for years and a lot of companies push those off as Red Bonnets: not. But compared to the height and size and mostly flavor of the JA Hab: the plant is a miracle, in my opinion. Just amazing trooper and huge pods of sweet heat.

I've had issues planting tomatillos at same distance as tomatoes because they're self-infertile. So, last year, I put four on top of one another, caged in about 5' high tomato cages, in a raised flower bed and dang, had tomatillos forever. One, the bees drawn to flowers--tall ones too--black-eyed susans, some Shasta Daisies on steroids, and coneflower brought the bees to the tomatillos, close in together. Everybody's mileage may vary but happy with that set-up and gonna do it again this year.

Love the hydro! Plants look amazing! I may eventually break-down and go for it. Good luck on pubes! Not me again. I had flowers that dropped and finally in October, it got cold enough for a few pods on red rocoto. But pods never ripened. But I really wish you luck with them as I know it can be done. Rick, Shane, lots of folks do but I think . . . gonna sit them out this year--sad too, prettiest flowers among peppers. Tisk.  ;)

I appreciate the advice on the JA hab and the tomatillos. I'll def plant them closer together. I didn't know they were self-infertile. I guess that would explain why I didn't get any last year. (only had one plant). I'll do 4 or 5 this year. My wife loves tomatillo salsas. she can't stand the heat.

My fingers are crossed on the pubes. I only had 2-3 pods ripen before I hacked the plants back to stumps in October. I've read that they can live 10+ years so maybe sub 1 year old is just too young to produce lots of pods. We'll see.

I grew tomatillo's a couple years ago, and you do need at least 2 or more plants for them to be pollinated and bloom, and caging them or staking them would be a good idea. ;)

Penny said:
I grew tomatillo's a couple years ago, and you do need at least 2 or more plants for them to be pollinated and bloom, and caging them or staking them would be a good idea. ;)

Yep, tomato cages are on my list of things to buy this year.

Seed catalog came. :rolleyes: My wife ordered this months ago but it took so long to get to my house, we have everything bought but a few things. We forgot about the catalog until it showed up in the mail. Oh well. We still have a couple of things to buy.
20131231_192412.jpg

I grew one of SoCalChilihead's purple tomatillos last season,
and it flowered and set fruit.  My neighbor had one or two in
his yard about 40' away - I guess bees must have visited his
plants and then mine!  I didn't know they didn't self-pollinate,
either.

Jeff H said:

Yep, tomato cages are on my list of things to buy this year.

Seed catalog came. :rolleyes: My wife ordered this months ago but it took so long to get to my house, we have everything bought but a few things. We forgot about the catalog until it showed up in the mail. Oh well. We still have a couple of things to buy.
20131231_192412.jpg

That is a large tomato. Gonna pick up anything from the catalog? 

Got to get a tomato cage or two myself.

Great glog Jeff! Fun to follow!

PaulG said:
either.

Close call huh? How were the purple tomatillos?

maximumcapsicum said:

That is a large tomato. Gonna pick up anything from the catalog? 

Got to get a tomato cage or two myself.

Great glog Jeff! Fun to follow!

Close call huh? How were the purple tomatillos?
Probably not from the catalog. I have a Home Depot gift card to burn up and they already have their Burpee seed displays out. Any veggies I still need to buy will most likely be from there since it will be free.

PaulG said:
either.

It might be the only Nightshade that doesn't. I can't think of any other.

Wikapedia's comment: Tomatillo plants are highly self-incompatible, and two or more plants are needed for proper pollination. Thus, isolated tomatillo plants rarely set fruit.[2]

The purple tomatillos were great in salsa and pico de gallo.
I gave most of them to my mexican neighbor.

Hi Jeff,

Nice hydro setup, beautiful plants!
I want to build a similar one...but not this year. Next year I will get back to your glog for some help. :P
Tomatillos are pretty easy to grow. I was making some salsa verde last year, and it is delicious! You won't rergret growing them, 2 big plants will produce you more then enough pods.

Balázs

Cages work great for tomatoes, I kept topping mine and they just kept growing. Gave up after a while! I start some strains I can't buy here and in also buy some for containers. I grew some Siberian strain tomatoes and had great results, lots of organic compost and my own tea feed

OK, now I see I need Tomatillo's, they are great in salsa.

I have tomato cages from the 80's..LOL, the newer ones (I bought 30 last year) are not near as sturdy. The metal is the same gauge but really soft, so watch for that...AND they were even made in the good ole USA.

Thanks Scott but I'm still fairly new at the hydro stuff. Just dove in head forst a little over a year ago. Vermillion isn't really close. I'm in the south west corner, but if he is up for a drive, we have plenty of hot stuff to keep him warm.
Ok I had to look at a map, he's way northeast. In fact 300yds from the lake, he's a sailboat nut. I want him to see your glog because of your techniques, excellent season stretching here for sure. He just retired (lucky sob) and bought a small greenhouse and is learning that. Heat, he's dialed in, I sent him seeds last spring and he did well considering he's never grown from seed before. His comment, "damn those peppers grow slow!"

Keep it green Jeff!

Back