• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Great stuff Jeff...don't know why I haven't been looking into the glog section more often??? I get caught up in my "content" section and forget that its about time for 2014 to kick off!!! Bam!!! Dabbling in some home-made hydro too!!! I will be coming back often! Great start my friend!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Looks quite nice and is a great idea.  

Devv said:
Great idea!

Perfect use of space too.

So I take it that it's using a constant circulation system?

PaulG said:
Very efficient set-up Jeff.
Interesting concept.

Pinoy83 said:
nice setup that looks so cool

stc3248 said:
Great stuff Jeff...don't know why I haven't been looking into the glog section more often??? I get caught up in my "content" section and forget that its about time for 2014 to kick off!!! Bam!!! Dabbling in some home-made hydro too!!! I will be coming back often! Great start my friend!

Vegas_Chili said:
Looking great Jeff!!

Nice looking OW and all the new babies. Love the foodie pics too. Hope you have a great 2014 season.

-Walt

Jeff, Scott, Paul, Pinoy83 Shane, and Walt: Thanks for the compliments and thanks for stopping in. More to come for sure. 

Scott, yes, it is constantly circulating. 
Shane, don't be a stranger and I can't wait to see your glog this year. Especially with you dabbling in hydro. It should be a hoot. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Man, one day when I have the space Id love to set something like this up.

Not sure what your definition of 'having space" is, but my whole grow room is a small closet in the basement about 4'-6"x 6'. Doesn't take up much room at all.

Good to hear. Nah right now we are living in a 1 bedroom apartment. The grow shelf actually lights my office. Once we have a larger place we'll be able to separate functions a little bit and it'll be possible to dedicate more than a shelf to peppers.

It is getting cold here in Ohio, time to warm it up with some hot sauces. 

20131222_174821.jpg

Note to self, two pounds of jalapenos only makes about 9 bottles. I really thought it would make a full case. Oh well. The other sauce is a tabasco/Ghost so it is a few levels hotter. 

20131223_205631.jpg

If you imagine the tabasco/ghost is red, they are the Christmas hot sauces. :D 

Merry Christmas all. 

Thanks Penny. 

I was just eating some burritos smothered in adobo sauce. Damn it. Now I have to grow some Mirasol peppers to dry into Guajillo peppers so I can do a home made version. That sheeeet was good. 

Looks like CPI has some seeds. Too bad I didn't know about this last month when I placed my last order with CPI. :rolleyes:

PaulG said:
Great sauce project, Jeff!

Thanks Paul.

As I wrote in post 91, I've been liking the adobo sauce and plan to make some this year and I think I want to make a mole sauce too. It would be great if I can can these, but I doubt they are acidic enough, but since they are made with dried chilis, I guess I wouldn't have much trouble making them in the winter once I had the chilis. This has prompted me to add several new chilis to the list so that I can make the ancho, pasilla and guajillo peppers necessary for the sauces. Since my garden really can't take more than 50 plants, I have to make some cuts. The revised grow list is below and it totals 57 plants. I don't realistically think I can cut this down much more, so I'll have to maek the garden bigger. :D

Chinense - These will be in either pots or hydro.  
Bhut Jolokai
Indian Carbon
Naga Morarch
Reaper
Jigsaw
Paper Lantern
Caribean Red
MOA Scotch Bonnet  

Pubescens- These will be either in pots or hydro.
Monzano
Red Rocoto    

Baccatum-In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Bishops crown
Aji lemon drop
Brazilian Starfish    

Frutescens- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Tabasco    

Annuum- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Big Jim
Anaheim
Giant Jalapeno
Numex jalmundo
Hot wax
Red Thai/Orange
Cayenne
thick cayenne
Jamacian Mushroom
Hot Cherry      
Pablano- ancho when dried.
Pasilla Bajio
mirasol- guajillo when dried

All the cininense and pubes are either planted or already growing with the sole exception of the MOA. I have seeds coming for that one. The rest will be sown some time in Jan once I have all the seeds and some time.

Jeff H said:

Thanks Paul.

As I wrote in post 91, I've been liking the adobo sauce and plan to make some this year and I think I want to make a mole sauce too. It would be great if I can can these, but I doubt they are acidic enough, but since they are made with dried chilis, I guess I wouldn't have much trouble making them in the winter once I had the chilis. This has prompted me to add several new chilis to the list so that I can make the ancho, pasilla and guajillo peppers necessary for the sauces. Since my garden really can't take more than 50 plants, I have to make some cuts. The revised grow list is below and it totals 57 plants. I don't realistically think I can cut this down much more, so I'll have to maek the garden bigger. :D

Chinense - These will be in either pots or hydro.  
Bhut Jolokai
Indian Carbon
Naga Morarch
Reaper
Jigsaw
Paper Lantern
Caribean Red
MOA Scotch Bonnet  

Pubescens- These will be either in pots or hydro.
Monzano
Red Rocoto    

Baccatum-In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Bishops crown
Aji lemon drop
Brazilian Starfish    

Frutescens- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Tabasco    

Annuum- -In the sq.ft. garden. 16" spacing.
Big Jim
Anaheim
Giant Jalapeno
Numex jalmundo
Hot wax
Red Thai/Orange
Cayenne
thick cayenne
Jamacian Mushroom
Hot Cherry      
Pablano- ancho when dried.
Pasilla Bajio
mirasol- guajillo when dried

All the cininense and pubes are either planted or already growing with the sole exception of the MOA. I have seeds coming for that one. The rest will be sown some time in Jan once I have all the seeds and some time.
Awesome list Jeff! Nice job on the sauces they sound delicious. That bhut/tabasco sounds good ;).

Hope you have an awesome New Year and hope all your propositions and goals get accomplished :cheers:

-Walt

Sauces look good Jeff!

I ran into the same problem, pulled too many bottles for the amount I had processed ;)

The adjusted list looks good, an all around grow for sure!

Bajio is an awesome pepper, it goes well in every tomato based dish I have tried it in.  

List doesn't quite look right without some more habs in there!!!

Good luck on your grow.

Vegas_Chili said:
Awesome list Jeff! Nice job on the sauces they sound delicious. That bhut/tabasco sounds good ;).

Hope you have an awesome New Year and hope all your propositions and goals get accomplished :cheers:

-Walt
Thanks for stopping in Walt. Have a great New Year yourself.

Devv said:
Sauces look good Jeff!

I ran into the same problem, pulled too many bottles for the amount I had processed ;)

The adjusted list looks good, an all around grow for sure!
Thanks Scott. I guess it is always better to have too many sanitized bottles than not enough.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Bajio is an awesome pepper, it goes well in every tomato based dish I have tried it in.  

List doesn't quite look right without some more habs in there!!!

Good luck on your grow.

Thanks for the lead on the bajio. I'll have to look into that. The problem with adding too many habs is that I don't like the taste of quite a few of them. I have to be selective with the ones I have. It is kinda a shame too. they are the perfect heat level for eating without hurting yourself.
This Thai plant got hit with mites a month ago or so. Dumb plant is putting energy into pods instead of putting out new leaves to replace the mite damaged ones. <sigh>

On the good side, my light is plenty bright enough to sustain flowering and pods. No question about that.

20131226_181454.jpg

Have you thought about picking the pods off to force it to become stronger?

Bajio takes some time to get ripe, they stay a shiny dark green forever before they start to turn.  I also had issue with the tips if they touched the ground.  

Back