• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Jerky Anyone?

Hopefully hasnt been done before, a Jerky thread, all types but especially making your own.

Had a crack at this the other day, turned out great, will be doing again this weekend i think, but a whole lot more. Got eaten in one night by everyone.

Started out with about 1.5kgs of Topside, cut into 5mm thick strips. Marinated in a mixture of soy and worcesterchire.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Then placed on wire trays and seasoned with a mixture of herbs,spices and habanero powder.

IMG_0139.jpg

All dried up, tasted awesome

What you think

IMG_0141.jpg

I need a good jerky recipe. The last stuff I made was too heavy on the marinade, and I may have left it on the smoker too long.

Speaking of cooking on the smoker and drinking beer.... bring on the weekend!

8474058238_74637c1680_b.jpg
[/url] Smoke by PA_Ridge, on Flickr[/img]

8472968969_3a01744a49_b.jpg
[/url] Salsa2 by PA_Ridge, on Flickr[/img]

8474058308_34ed384c19_b.jpg
[/url] Ribs by PA_Ridge, on Flickr[/img]

8474058362_231e2eda57_b.jpg
[/url] Pork by PA_Ridge, on Flickr[/img]

This is a great thread, Booma. I love jerky, but I hate buying it. The amount of product to amount of cash tendered ratio just doesn't sit well with me, but I'll break down every now and then if I'm jonesin' for some jerky.

Making it, on the other hand, is intriguing. My oven has a dehydrator function. I use stainless steel window screen mesh on the racks as my trays. Would this setup work? Or would the meat stick to it? I see you're using parchment paper[?]

SoFlo once tried to make salmon jerky in the smoker. Disaster!

Nice thread and great pics :)

So far have only ever done it in the normal oven, hopefully once the weather clears up a bit, and my fire wood has dried, going to do it in the wood fired oven, but no, never tried smoking it before....
If you want it to come out like the real mccoy, look into getting a pile of pimento wood, nothing like the traditional original jerk over a real wood fire IMHO.

Maybe you could spray the screens with non-stick cooking spray prior to making the jerky. Pat the meat dry with paper towels prior to dehydrating to speed drying time and to reduce possible sticking.

I have my dehydator running right now. I am doing some terriyaki jerky for the kids and some Jamaican Jerk jerky for myself and the wife. I never tried Jerk Jerky, but it just sounds right. Ground thyme, Scotch Bonnet Powder, honey, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, salt, and lime. I will know in a few hours whether or not it was a good idea...
-Mark

Maybe you could spray the screens with non-stick cooking spray prior to making the jerky. Pat the meat dry with paper towels prior to dehydrating to speed drying time and to reduce possible sticking.

Yeah... I thought about that, but that could cause the jerky to be oily on one side. Not sure if I'd be a fan of that scenario, but it's worth a try just to see what happens if I run into problems with those screens. The tried and successful method that Booma is using is probably the best.

This is a great thread, Booma. I love jerky, but I hate buying it. The amount of product to amount of cash tendered ratio just doesn't sit well with me, but I'll break down every now and then if I'm jonesin' for some jerky.

Making it, on the other hand, is intriguing. My oven has a dehydrator function. I use stainless steel window screen mesh on the racks as my trays. Would this setup work? Or would the meat stick to it? I see you're using parchment paper[?]

SoFlo once tried to make salmon jerky in the smoker. Disaster!

Thats the same reason why i started to try and make it, too damn expensive for a few pieces.

Using the stainless screens may work, since the heat of the oven is so low, the meat tends to dry before it crisps up or gets stuck to anything. Sometimes when using the paper, some of the meat falls of onto the wire racks, or when running low on paper, and the jerky has always came off, It may stick a little, but peels off easily. Could always try a couple of bits on a tray just incase in does, to save cleaning up, but i think it may work.

Habanero powder, garlic, teryiaki marinade, and brown sugar. Sliced 1/4in and stacked while pouring marinade over each stack in a bowl then in the fridge 24hrs. On the smoker with Cherry wood on low until temp is about 150, then in the dehydrator.

Totally follow you Blue. Sounds good. Do you know what temp your dehydrator is at? I'm looking at condensing the whole operation to a dehydrator. I'm thinking 125-130F until it's done.

I need a good jerky recipe. The last stuff I made was too heavy on the marinade, and I may have left it on the smoker too long.

Speaking of cooking on the smoker and drinking beer.... bring on the weekend!

I marinade for about 8 hrs, in a mix of usually soy and worcesterchire, then i pat dry the meat with paper towel, then into the oven, i try to remove as much or the moisture/marinade as i can

We all know the drill….. no pics, didn't happen. Yup. Don't know why anyone would want pics of jerky, but here ya go - my first-ever attempt at making my own beef jerky. Thick-cut and kept in the dehydrator a few hours longer than if thin strips made. Marinated 36+ hours in a mix of Soy Vay Very Very Teriyaki (bottled) sauce, molasses, jalapeno puree, and dried jalapenos. The cut is flank steak. I wanted to keep it simple for my first go-round, but am already planning a dry rub for my next batch. The little dots are sesame seeds, for those not familiar with the Soy Vay product. In the pic they look moist, but they're really not - you can pick up a piece without having stuff remain on your fingers. Very tasty with a mild bite, but a bit sweeter than I initially planned for, though with experimentation I'm sure things will improve - we all have to start somewhere! 

jerky.jpg

The start of round two, this time with a dry rub:
jerky2.jpg

If I remember correctly: oregano, allspice, marjoram, ginger, coriander, sea salt, brown sugar, ancho chile powder, aji panca powder, thyme… I think I'm missing something. Ah, I did miss putting garlic in there, but I'll add it tomorrow before mixing things up again. 

Jerky experiment #3 in progress. #2 was a bit too heavily seasoned and a bit over-dried, so it had a rather gritty texture in the mouth. #3 is pork tenderloin and beef london broil, with their separate dry rubs not as heavily-applied as #2. The pork is seasoned Asian-style, while the beef is seasoned Mex-style. I am also doing these at "mixed" temps - 160 to start with, lowered to 145, then will up back to 160 at the end for the pork. 

Back