• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2014.....in summary

Whew!
2013 Swirling down the Drain of Time.

Washing the 10x20s for a New Year.

By last October I was so peppered out  -40 some superhot plants and over twice that many mild and sweets. Didn't think I'd ever see the end of it. But, an early surprise freeze caught me off guard and I lost several mild and sweeties. I did get almost the entire superhot crop, dried, smoked, fermented, frozen or pickled. so I should have no dearth of heat to see me through to 2014 harvest.

I owe most of my pepper success in 2013 to YOU.
All the folks here at THP helped me from seed, to advice, to encouragement, to inspiration.  Couldn't have done it without y'all.

Some changes for 2014:

I'm moving my Cappy 1000 Pepper Incubator into my  basement utility room. Last year I had it in a minimally heated out building and the night times often dipped into the 50s or lower. And come to find out, baby peppers don't much care for that. They survived, they were just slow growers.

Dirt:

Fox Farms Ocean Forest will be my potting mix. It's organic and hopefully will be as good as the Miracle Grow Moisture Control and it can't be any worse than my home-brew last year which wasn't horrible but coulda been better.

Timing:

Instead of putting most of my seed in the ground in early February, I'm going to hold off until later on the Annums. The Chinensis at least some in early - mid January and some Manzano seeds earlier than that if I can find them. :rolleyes:

How Many for Plant Out?:

Not 140.
I'm devoting 2 raised beds -a 4x30 and a 4x16 to Sweet Peppers -Jimmy Nardello, King of the North, Gaint Marconis, Aji Dulce. About 26 plants. 
100' in my row garden. Probably 40 plant's. Haven't decided on the balance, Bhuts, 7 pot, Habs, Bonnets, Jalas, the usual suspects and a few odd balls.
66 plants +/- total. I totally neglected my maters last year(which given the season didn't make much difference), but this year I vow to do better by tomatoes. I hope to do 50 or so -all heirlooms, mostly paste.
I'll start several more of both than needed for selling and give-aways.

In related news....

My buddy up in Richmond grew a lot of peppers last year. He has a geodesic dome greenhouse. At the end of season he just dug up several of his pepper plants and moved them in inside.

They're looking pretty good for late December.

My last "harvest" of 2013 was 12/22/13; some Thai Chilis that I'd pulled the whole plants in October and just laid up on a table outside. Most had dried leather-hard.

I pulled, cooked, seasoned, ground and strained them into a sauce for Pad Thai for this winter.

Everything subject to change without notice.
(But I'll keep you posted)

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

After doing some calculations, as in 160 days from seed to Bhut, and they would A) probably set more fruit before I gets hot, and B) more of them would ripen before frost.
I thought I better get off me arse and soak some seeds
So, I did. When I remembered that....

I didn't have any Red Bhut seeds. I thought I had some left over from Durham Bull's generosity last year.
But couldn't find them.
So I grab a dried pod and eviscerated it, which always necessitates that I burn an eye, and got some seeds to try.
I resisted because  they've been through a dehydrator set on  95°, and weren't isolated which, doesn't improve them in the least I'd think.
I've got a little time to before enacting Primary Plan B

So counting what just recently went in the medium, I should have enough pops to fill most of my 4x18 Hot Grid.
If not, Secondary Plan B

If you haven't, go look at Blister's Glog.
Off. The. Wall. &. Charts.

All's quiet on the Western front.

I see a lot of the Jimmy Nardello's I have a few planted, first time growing them.. looks like I need to do more?

How do you use them?

Smoke and or roast them, put them in a jar a vinegar in the fridg.
Taste great on a January hamburger, or about any sandwich. 
They make a great base for a hot sauce too.
Toss one or two in blender when you're making hummus.
Just eat them straight from the jar.

Can you tell I really like 'em ? :)

Devv said:
I see a lot of the Jimmy Nardello's I have a few planted, first time growing them.. looks like I need to do more?

How do you use them?

Make sure they turn all the way red.  You can eat them fresh too.  To me it's like pepper candy.

Paul, I hope so.I think they've inched past Fatalii as my favorite pepper.

That said I put my hot peppers seeds for this season in the medium this morning.

And timely enough, my new pepper benchware showed up.

Last year I grew about everything in those little pots(2.5x2.5x3) on the left. This year I believe I'll trans plant cotys into the P86D(3.5x3.5x5) on the right.

As for medium, I have the FF Ancient Forest, but I'm tweaking to grow a few of them in pure coir on organic hydro nutes like Blister (without the Blackstar LED (at least for the moment)).
I also stumbled on a another concept that could be interesting to try on a few of them -Air Injection Technology. Basically taking a small air pump and bubbling air up through any saturated potting medium. It's using gentle pressure to create tilth, which I found out last year is very difficult to create, and especially to maintain, in a potting soil.
Could be side-stepping the problem of lack of flavor that haunts hydro fruit.

In the non catagory, I did get a couple of pots of microgreens to pop.

Some lettuce and broccoli seed(years old) in less than 48 hours :shocked: .

Hi JJJessee, Just wanted to drop a line to say Thanks so much for the Inca Red Drop seeds you sent. They got here right and tight today... cheers guy.. you rock!
SANY0708_zpsd1532bb2.jpg

Those deep pots should be the cat's meow, buddy!  
Should make for a great root system.

Tilth?

JJJessee said:
Smoke and or roast them, put them in a jar a vinegar in the fridg.
Taste great on a January hamburger, or about any sandwich. 
They make a great base for a hot sauce too.
Toss one or two in blender when you're making hummus.
Just eat them straight from the jar.

Can you tell I really like 'em ? :)
Well you talked me into it, I planted some more today ;)

Nice score on the larger pots, they will serve you well.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Yeah I'm gonna start that Air Injection Tech experiment maybe as soon as this very soggy, soggy, Saturday.
I was at the grow store yesterday picking up some goodies to facilitate such, namely the G.O. Flora A & B nutes.

This morning I my first peppers :dance: of 2014  :woohoo: have popped....

.....Fatalli -from my own non-isolated 2013 plants; sired from seed from unknown self-saver  in 2012. I had 4 plants last year and they all seemed to grown true to form. I wasn't particular attentive to my seed-saving this year, maybe next. Maybe even bag some flowers.

They seem smallish, but I believe their parents started small too.

I'm going to try to get some onion seed in medium today.

have a good one,
jjj

Thanks, cigars all around.

This little tray has more hooks; all but the Aji Dulce showing now.

Yay!, a Manzano has hooked(upper right quadrant).
Since the photo a Birgit has popped.
The King of the North are just some sweet bell seeds I'd saved and wanted to test viablity. I likely won't pot those up (except for another experiment or something) and start some fresh ones in late March.  
So 10 days from soak, they've made a good showing.

Yesterday I started some cippolini onion seeds, a red variety.

I had absolutely no success with onions from seed last year. Hope its not a repeat.
Just in case I ordered several bundles of transplants from Dixondale to plant in mid to late March.

Back