• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2014.....in summary

Whew!
2013 Swirling down the Drain of Time.

Washing the 10x20s for a New Year.

By last October I was so peppered out  -40 some superhot plants and over twice that many mild and sweets. Didn't think I'd ever see the end of it. But, an early surprise freeze caught me off guard and I lost several mild and sweeties. I did get almost the entire superhot crop, dried, smoked, fermented, frozen or pickled. so I should have no dearth of heat to see me through to 2014 harvest.

I owe most of my pepper success in 2013 to YOU.
All the folks here at THP helped me from seed, to advice, to encouragement, to inspiration.  Couldn't have done it without y'all.

Some changes for 2014:

I'm moving my Cappy 1000 Pepper Incubator into my  basement utility room. Last year I had it in a minimally heated out building and the night times often dipped into the 50s or lower. And come to find out, baby peppers don't much care for that. They survived, they were just slow growers.

Dirt:

Fox Farms Ocean Forest will be my potting mix. It's organic and hopefully will be as good as the Miracle Grow Moisture Control and it can't be any worse than my home-brew last year which wasn't horrible but coulda been better.

Timing:

Instead of putting most of my seed in the ground in early February, I'm going to hold off until later on the Annums. The Chinensis at least some in early - mid January and some Manzano seeds earlier than that if I can find them. :rolleyes:

How Many for Plant Out?:

Not 140.
I'm devoting 2 raised beds -a 4x30 and a 4x16 to Sweet Peppers -Jimmy Nardello, King of the North, Gaint Marconis, Aji Dulce. About 26 plants. 
100' in my row garden. Probably 40 plant's. Haven't decided on the balance, Bhuts, 7 pot, Habs, Bonnets, Jalas, the usual suspects and a few odd balls.
66 plants +/- total. I totally neglected my maters last year(which given the season didn't make much difference), but this year I vow to do better by tomatoes. I hope to do 50 or so -all heirlooms, mostly paste.
I'll start several more of both than needed for selling and give-aways.

In related news....

My buddy up in Richmond grew a lot of peppers last year. He has a geodesic dome greenhouse. At the end of season he just dug up several of his pepper plants and moved them in inside.

They're looking pretty good for late December.

My last "harvest" of 2013 was 12/22/13; some Thai Chilis that I'd pulled the whole plants in October and just laid up on a table outside. Most had dried leather-hard.

I pulled, cooked, seasoned, ground and strained them into a sauce for Pad Thai for this winter.

Everything subject to change without notice.
(But I'll keep you posted)

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

Thanks, guys, 

ACK!!

Here's what happens when you  put your heat mat thermostat probe in one pot, unenclosed,  and your plants in an enclosed area on the same mat.
I clocked the soil at 100° no, no, no, no. Not good.

I think they will live. But they don't look all that happy about it.

A few more of the unsoaked manzanos  popped making for 6 of 32 overall.

They were unscathed by the event it seems.

3-brigits, 6 -fatalli, and a roxa

still checking out their new digs..

Jedi, meade seems like it would be easier than beer, no wort chillin', no mash to tung, and stuff. Made 2 -1gal batches of meade  last June from that were surprisingly tasty in 6 months and not sweet as you would expect. I use Lavin EC-1118 yeast and it cleans up the sugars well. It's basically 2lbs of honey, yeast and common sense with the flavoring if you choose -making it a cyser technically.

later,
jjj

Great looking hooks JJJ! And cool project on the meade.

A two day sprout is pretty fantastic. I am closing day five now... Should see a hook any day.

Cool info as usual blister, thanks for sharing. Nutrient burn always brown leaf tips?

Thanks, guys, yes they are pulling through.

BUT
OH! I have been beguiled!!

You are no pepper! You tiny, intrepid, temptress of disingenuousness!

Your true leaves are shown.

You, you tomato, you!

I finally sussed it. Not a Roxa, or even a pepper.
A freakin', free-loading tomato.

Will the real Fidalgo Roxa please stand up?
Yes!

I only post this because I know you all like to stare at dirt as much as I do.

Upper left -   JA Hab
Upper right - F Roxa
Lower left -   SB MoA
Lower right - 7P Barrackpore

LOL! join the mystery group, I had some earmarked as tomatoes and they're peppers...what kind? We'll see !

JJJessee said:
I only post this because I know you all like to stare at dirt as much as I do.

Sad but true... ;)

Glad your babies survived the mishap with the heat mat. It just goes to show that they're harder to kill than we generally think. Cheers!

Devv, I'm keeping an eye on that "mater of ill-repute" leaves still look a little strange.

I've been away on a backpacking excursion since Friday morning. A change in venue from  pacing back and forth outside the pepper delivery room. :D
And several little ones have appeared in my absents. Mostly MoAs, JA Habs,and a White Bhut -all of  Ramon's stock.

I'm gonna do a restart on the no-shows at this point. it's been 13 days and not a peep.
They'll all pop when I replant. ;)

The Manzano's add about a citizen per day it seems.

And I've got a good crop of first leaves going too.

Wow what a great ambitious start! Like all the moves I am seeing over here. Moving your grow shelves inside...the new and bigger startup pots....the double spelling of Fatalii/Fatalli throughout! Haha...oh and the disclaimer on the OP...subject to change without notice. Perfect!

You also captured the essence of the end/beginning point of the grow season..."Damn I am sure tired of these peppers, oh crap its time to start some new ones!" 
Putting seeds in dirt always seems to rejuvenate the growing spirit though...and watching them pop is almost as much fun as waiting on that first bloom...then pod...then color...then taste...then, well then it turns into work!

Always fun watching what you've got going on with your inventive ways. Can't wait to watch it all unfold brother!

Oh yeah, definitely tomatoes.
Last year mine drowned and I sort of neglected them too. 
Fewer peppers, and about 50 tomatoes.
Here's my seed/grow list and I should have my BC stock in any day.
Haven't ordered the Flamme yet.

If anybody sees any they want to try. I'll hook you up.

Impatient, so I'm doing a second soak on Aji Dulce, Einstein(Yellow Brain), and Yellow Scorpion.

I'm  well over 2 of 4 3x6 flats filled with the additional potting up the of MoA Scotch Bonnets.

They popped pretty much all together with over 90-100% participation rate. I like.
I did break one after I counted and filed my pots but found a not quiet through the ground yet sub to try in the blank pot.
A few of these I put in coir as I extend Blister's hybrid-hydro protocol toward 18 pots. My first ones, Fatallis from last week, are virtually at the same place the Ocean Forest control/comparison group.

If any other, pepper fails to materialize I wanna make sure I have extras of these to answer the call.

Also got 4 -Roxas, a Barrackpore, and a Ecuador Lemon Not, Yellow Bhut, Mut, or whatever the heck it is in a pot.

Non-news.

My cipollini onions germed fairly strong,

About time to give them a haircut and move them to a cooler shelf

JJJessee said:
…  pacing back and forth outside the pepper delivery room. :D
Great job with the new sprouts & the additions while you were away, hab a cigar = D

I’ve had many take more than 13 days, you may soon have more than double on many ^_^

Okay I have to stop coming to your glog.  I had to do a search on  cipollini onions and now I have 3 packs coming.  Are you going to eat green onions to thin these out?  Is this their permanent home for the year or are you going to plant them out when the time is right?  Sound like an awesome onion for my stirffry but a pain in the butt to clean.

Thanks for posting, I can't wait to try em.

Dang it...every time I see them MOA labels I want to go start a handful of them awesome seeds! Those onions sure did come in thick!!! Mine didn't do squat last season. Hmmm...

Back