• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2014.....in summary

Whew!
2013 Swirling down the Drain of Time.

Washing the 10x20s for a New Year.

By last October I was so peppered out  -40 some superhot plants and over twice that many mild and sweets. Didn't think I'd ever see the end of it. But, an early surprise freeze caught me off guard and I lost several mild and sweeties. I did get almost the entire superhot crop, dried, smoked, fermented, frozen or pickled. so I should have no dearth of heat to see me through to 2014 harvest.

I owe most of my pepper success in 2013 to YOU.
All the folks here at THP helped me from seed, to advice, to encouragement, to inspiration.  Couldn't have done it without y'all.

Some changes for 2014:

I'm moving my Cappy 1000 Pepper Incubator into my  basement utility room. Last year I had it in a minimally heated out building and the night times often dipped into the 50s or lower. And come to find out, baby peppers don't much care for that. They survived, they were just slow growers.

Dirt:

Fox Farms Ocean Forest will be my potting mix. It's organic and hopefully will be as good as the Miracle Grow Moisture Control and it can't be any worse than my home-brew last year which wasn't horrible but coulda been better.

Timing:

Instead of putting most of my seed in the ground in early February, I'm going to hold off until later on the Annums. The Chinensis at least some in early - mid January and some Manzano seeds earlier than that if I can find them. :rolleyes:

How Many for Plant Out?:

Not 140.
I'm devoting 2 raised beds -a 4x30 and a 4x16 to Sweet Peppers -Jimmy Nardello, King of the North, Gaint Marconis, Aji Dulce. About 26 plants. 
100' in my row garden. Probably 40 plant's. Haven't decided on the balance, Bhuts, 7 pot, Habs, Bonnets, Jalas, the usual suspects and a few odd balls.
66 plants +/- total. I totally neglected my maters last year(which given the season didn't make much difference), but this year I vow to do better by tomatoes. I hope to do 50 or so -all heirlooms, mostly paste.
I'll start several more of both than needed for selling and give-aways.

In related news....

My buddy up in Richmond grew a lot of peppers last year. He has a geodesic dome greenhouse. At the end of season he just dug up several of his pepper plants and moved them in inside.

They're looking pretty good for late December.

My last "harvest" of 2013 was 12/22/13; some Thai Chilis that I'd pulled the whole plants in October and just laid up on a table outside. Most had dried leather-hard.

I pulled, cooked, seasoned, ground and strained them into a sauce for Pad Thai for this winter.

Everything subject to change without notice.
(But I'll keep you posted)

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

Cool deal on the new babies, especially the Manzano!

I've had mixed results growing Onions from seed, first year perfection, second year they didn't come up. So I'm going to plant the bunches when they show up around here. Just too much going on around here this season ;)

Thanks,guys. 

Yeah they are starting to pop like corn.

But, no other Manzanos from either pot, Rick.

I was moving some 1/9/14 pots around and noticed a sprout that looks suspiciously like a pepper, but it's only been in the ground 3 days so, I don't know. It's in the Fidalgo Roxa pot. We shall see.

Yeah, MaxCap, since they are earlier and a highly favored pepper, I'll separate and transplant most, or all, of those.
Looks like the final Fatalli popped making it  7 for 7. I finally found the pack of parent seed to it and started 4 soaking, and I'll probably try to grow one of each generation all the way out. 
I'm sticking to my plan to have no more than four Fatalli (except for some Jigsaw seeds that are on the way) to choose from at plant-out, but if something else fails, Fatalli would be good to fill-in with in my book. (I realize that statement could be construed as an early stage of Pepper Fever :shh: -highly contagious and transmitted these day by broadband )
The big shake-down will take place in mid-April, when tomatoes,eggplants, and others get 2 of the 4 shelves.

Hey, Ramon. I got some of you're youngun' warming in the ground. Thanks for checkin' in on them.

And thanks for reading, everyone,
jjj

First pot-ups of 2014

3 in regular Ocean Forest and 3 in pure coir -Blister style I'll be feeding with the A+B juice.

Also, reflecting on the troubles of Huy Fong, I decided to improvise a batch of Sriracha  this morning.

Didn't have any Red Jalas available, so I used:

One cup of fermented Naga(Dorsets)

3 - tbs of honey -sometimes I use plain ol' "white death" sugar and I've never used this much sweetner of any kind in a sauce, but I'ts the second most prevalent ingredient in Rooster Sauce. Part of the board appeal I suspect, but it is a tasty, especially on popcorn.

4 teaspoons of  smoked and roasted  and mashed garlic (elephant variety)

1 - tbs of Rice vinegar

~3/8 teaspoon of Xanthan gum powder.

Didn't need any additional salt. The ferment was adequately salty.

Blended it up.

I'm not match for Huy Fong, but this was good for a 30 min effort.

And hot,  on scarmbled egg.

JJJessee said:
First pot-ups of 2014

3 in regular Ocean Forest and 3 in pure coir -Blister style I'll be feeding with the A+B juice.

Also, reflecting on the troubles of Huy Fong, I decided to improvise a batch of Sriracha  this morning.

Didn't have any Red Jalas available, so I used:

One cup of fermented Naga(Dorsets)

3 - tbs of honey -sometimes I use plain ol' "white death" sugar and I've never used this much sweetner of any kind in a sauce, but I'ts the second most prevalent ingredient in Rooster Sauce. Part of the board appeal I suspect, but it is a tasty, especially on popcorn.

4 teaspoons of  smoked and roasted  and mashed garlic (elephant variety)

1 - tbs of Rice vinegar

~3/8 teaspoon of Xanthan gum powder.

Didn't need any additional salt. The ferment was adequately salty.

Blended it up.

I'm not match for Huy Fong, but this was good for a 30 min effort.

And hot,  on scarmbled egg.

Great looking operation. It'll be interesting to see if you get the serious rooting Blister got in the coir pots. I'm thinking of going with Ocean Forest when I pot up as well. May make the decision come potting day.

How do you ferment the Nagas? The sauce looks great. Love the egg heat fix.

JJJessee said:
First pot-ups of 2014

YEA BUDDY! Great to see you giving coir a shot. I look forward to seeing the results you get. What line of nutrients are you using? I'll go back a few pages and check for the rest of the specs on your grow.

Edit: What kind of coco did you get?

Neil

All right, those sprouts will take off and fill those pots!

Nice looking dish, too!

Thanks, 

Blister, I didn't realize until I made it home that I got General Hydroponics A & B, what I meant to get was General Organics A & B :confused:
The store is a 100 miles away. I guess I'll use it.
I'll give them a weak fed tomorrow, and edge them up until they hit their stride.
Currently running under 4 6500k T8. and I'd really like to see about supplementing that on a couple of shelves. That Blackstar LED is rockin' your grow, but I don't see one in my near future.

MaxCap, It's my first use on the Ocean Forest, it's early,  but so far, so good. No helmet heads out of 15+ cotys.
Oops, now I've jinxed it.

On the Naga juice, I hand-cranked the whole peppers, almost 3 pounds through my old Corona mill with 3% pink salt by weight. I packed it tight in Mason jars up to the gill, 3/4" air space at most. Then I sprinkled a fairly generous, enough to form a protective film, portion of salt on top. Then I put the lid on loose, so gas could escape. After a few weeks it was a pretty loose mixture. I scraped off the top 1/4-1/2" to get the mold off, and ran it through a Victoria tomato mill to remove skin and seed. I added some cane vinegar, maybe a 1/4 cup to a quart. Next year if not sooner, I'm gonna rubber-grommet some canning lids for airlocks, maybe back the molds off even more than the salt film. Speaking of airlocks...

I brewed a 3 gallon batch of Black Raspberry Meade on Saturday and it's bubbling away, as is it's big sister Cherry behind him ,still going after a month.

No new pops overnight,
but the unsoaked Manzano pot has started.

Don't know what it will be with the other 23, but this one is only about a day behind the soaked pot for germ-speed. 
If these pop at the soaked rate (which stands at 3/8) (what was I thinking, Scott?)I'm gonna have to put several up for adoption. 
THP is a pepper adoption agency isn't it? :)

That tall lanky thing,

just might be a pepper after all.
It popped in like 2 days after soaking...I was very suspicious.
It's pod came from the grow store and was still leathery and wet inside when I delivered it by cesarean.
Same on the Birgits, delivered from a mushy pepper,  but it had been outside on the ground for a few months and frozen several times.
Seeds have a one track mind.

Couldn't get a single Bonda MJ to pop last year. 2 up so far (yay Annie!) and waiting on a few more before I transfer.

The Flora Duo series looks VERY similar to the Flora Bloom and Flora Grow series I'm using. I pulled up the label and looked at the guaranteed analysis for Duo and sure there are minor differences in terms of a little more of this or less of that, but they both contain the same breakdown of nutes and minerals.

Are you using RO/bottled water or tap? Did you also get your coco at the hydro store?

Be careful when using nutes on seedlings. The main sign to watch for is browning tips. It can happen fast. That said one great part about coco is that it is forgiving. If you notice browning tips, flush the plant with plain RO water.

Also have a look around the hydro manufacture sites. Many of them are willing to send out a crazy amount of samples for the cost of shipping. Sometimes they even pay that too! Unfortunately it doesn't usually apply to Canada :(

Triple J! Better late than never in my case here! Glad I stopped by. That's an awesome list for sure bud. I have plenty of Red Bhut seeds from Judy if you still need some. I'll send you a PM after I post this. Glad to see some sprouts. I always say that Ocean Forest is awesome, amazing stuff. A lot of people wouldn't recommend germinating seeds with it but I totally disagree. I use it to germ seeds as well. Happy for you on the Manzanos! I'll stop in more often man. Good luck this year!

Back