• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

jojo's Ghetto Grow Log 2014

I thought I might as well keep a log on mi growing season.

Started the following first week of December.  I bought these seeds from Baker's Peppers
it may be bright right now, but earlier we had some wicked rain.  had to set these aside for a while.

T Scorpion Moruga
7 Pot Merlot
7 Pot Primo
Reaper, Brain Strain 
Yellow Fatalii, Peter Pepper
T Scorpion Chocolate
12863100345_6a8c9a2659_z.jpg

should I maybe snip these buds off?  
12863180353_fdea7be2c5_z.jpg

here's the rest of my pepper grow.
Started these Late January... I bought these seeds from Judy @ PepperLover

Giant Mexican Rocoto 
Peruvian White Habanero
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Chocolate Bhutlah
White 7 Pod (she threw this in for free)   :dance:
12863520304_2b0e4080d8_z.jpg

this is what I'm planning on transferring into with an added mix of perlite, earthworm casting, azomite, and a few bricks of coco coir.  from what I heard and read, vermifire is the sh!t...  like way better than ocean forest?  
12863049843_9be83b507a_z.jpg

well well well, looks like im gonna have to try to compare for myself and others to see which is better?
12863803584_68c8e0b6b6_z.jpg

here's what i'll do...  one of these 5/6 gallon pots filled with ffof, and the other with vovf
12863997243_7cb0d1de50_z.jpg

i also want to start a bonchi tree using this small bonsai pot
12863710253_724b91bd6f_z.jpg

donno what to plant in there yet, thinking either that reaper plant in it or this peru white hab
12863707183_555c5df3f3_z.jpg

Yeah and I actually dunno why I thought that either when it clearly says Long Beach on your profile lol. In any case, just got to a computer. That is a massively tall trellis box thingajig you got there! Whatcha gonna grow on it?

filmost said:
Yeah and I actually dunno why I thought that either when it clearly says Long Beach on your profile lol. In any case, just got to a computer. That is a massively tall trellis box thingajig you got there! Whatcha gonna grow on it?
I'm growing 3 melons: yellow canary, cantaloupe, and sweet baby watermelon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll prolly edit here to show a close up pic.

filmost said:
Ooooh, if you have room for another melon, I have some Japanese ones I could send you.

I wouldn't mind growing some...  I just don't know what to do with $10,000 melons.  lol

I might have one more spot there in the corner...  i needa take a better pic.

meh...  i can't upload pic.

jojo said:

I read a lil sum sum on a website called fatalii.net or something like that.

btw, i just felt an earthquake.  yee haw!  
I typed in Bonchi on Google and the Fatalii.net site came up number 1. A lot of good info there. I guess for the first one I won't worry about the gnarly roots, and see if I can keep it alive...LOL.

What's up with all my experimental experiments?  I guess I'm just doing this for future references...  This time I want to see if spending a lot of money on soil is a necessity growing hot peppers.

So, I decided to buy some mediocre soil from Lowes.  I'm sure everybody has seen these at their local big box stores.  I present to you "Kellogg Patio Plus".
13457851844_ae8a4cb3df_b.jpg

I am comparing this soil to that of VermiFire and Ocean Forest growing Chocolate Bhutlahs.

Jojo,
Your set up is awesome. You are gonna have peppers comming out you ears come harvest time.

Edit add: great idea to put holes on the side of the bucket.

Thanks man, hopefully I'll have enough peppers to last til next year...  My household eats way too many peppers...  usually thai peppers, so i figured super hots would last longer if used sparingly...  I am now having second thoughts if I do indeed have enough peppers... 

About the holes in the buckets, I stole the idea from the air pots I see at the hydro shop...  suppose to increase aeration or oxygen or sumthing.  I figure it can't be a bad thing, so I did it.

Do those inverted water bottles do a good job keeping the roots moist.And how often do ya fill them JoJo?

How long do those watering bottles last? I'm trying to come up with an inexpensive watering solution for when I'm in the states this summer. Gonna be gone for like 20 days.

They last what seems forever, I haven't refilled them yet.  It doesn't even look it's draining...  prolly needs another hole or two, but decided to bore the hole just a little bit bigger.  I'll see if there is an improvement in a week.  here's a few pics

water level still looks the same
65C0B4BA-4AB7-40A6-A240-84746F4F510C.jpg

here the holes got a little bigger.
3009B5E8-8BE0-4CC2-B8C0-6EB559306111.jpg

You got to have a hole on the other side too or no water can escape. Some water would only come out as it heats and expands in the sun. Once cools, it would suck back as the water/air in side contracts.

GA Growhead said:
You got to have a hole on the other side too or no water can escape. Some water would only come out as it heats and expands in the sun. Once cools, it would suck back as the water/air in side contracts.

ah yes, why did I not think of that...  dumb me too

Thanks GA!

jojo said:
What's up with all my experimental experiments?  I guess I'm just doing this for future references...  This time I want to see if spending a lot of money on soil is a necessity growing hot peppers.

So, I decided to buy some mediocre soil from Lowes.  I'm sure everybody has seen these at their local big box stores.  I present to you "Kellogg Patio Plus".
13457851844_ae8a4cb3df_b.jpg

I am comparing this soil to that of VermiFire and Ocean Forest growing Chocolate Bhutlahs.
Ah yes, I mix this with coco coir and perlite and it seems to work well. But every once in a while I get a bag with a very interesting nasty smell. Not sure what that is but it's suppose to be OMRI approved, and my plants seem to like it.

Back