• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Just put down a batch o' jerky

Just the jerky so far mate, picked up a few kg of fresh habs from the markets this week for sauce & been munching them.

Jerky is primo, I nearly pigged the lot when it turned up. Powder looks great too.

JERKY BATCH #2

Second batch of Jerky is sitting in the dehydrator waiting for me to get home...
The samples I tried seem a little less salty than my first batch, and the heat is maybe a little less intense.

-6 lbs. bottom round
-1/2 c. soy sauce
-2/3 c. Worcestershire
-1 heaping Tbsp. Blairs DEATH RAIN
-4 smoked habaneros, ground fine
-3 Tbsp. homemade seasoning (really made for dry rub, but I just threw it in the mix)
-I poured some beer in the last remnants of a bottle of DA BOMB beyond insanity, swished it around, and threw that in...
-2 tsps. instacure #1

Marinated 24 hours. Into the Excaliber 9 hours @ about 140 deg.

I can't wait to get home...
:hell:

You guys are making me crazy! Now I am going to have to go to the sto' and buy some salmon to marinade and smoke up...and yes...I will post pics of the final product as I should.

Bent...whens your next batch of sauce coming round. Had a buddy of mine who tried it and really liked it, and I am overdo for a fix. Can I buy 4 bottles? Drop me a pm bro.

Cheers, TB.

Devil Dog said:
-1 heaping Tbsp. Blairs DEATH RAIN
-4 smoked habaneros, ground fine
-I poured some beer in the last remnants of a bottle of DA BOMB beyond insanity, swished it around, and threw that in...

you sure it's got enough hot stuff in it Dog? any reports or is your tongue to hot to talk (or type)?

is instacure the same as Prague Powder - the pink cure? as that is what I use

chilliman64 said:
have you tried the sauce?

maresi!

BBQ hotdogs last night....mine with a coating of CM64 fine Hab Sauce. :mouthonfire:

Is it my imagination or are the Hab chunks a little bigger in this batch?

:hell: Oh I have missed that sauce sooo much :hell:

would you believe I've never bbq'd hotdogs, only ever boiled them. must put that on the list.

the hab chunks may be a little larger but that was not intentional. glad you like it. I haven't ph tested it so I hope you have it in the fridge.

chilliman64 said:
would you believe I've never bbq'd hotdogs, only ever boiled them. must put that on the list.

the hab chunks may be a little larger but that was not intentional. glad you like it. I haven't ph tested it so I hope you have it in the fridge.

well, when I say hotdogs...I mean I bbq a sausage and stuff it in a hotdog roll. Leaves me a hand free to hold the beer.

Actually I quite liked the chunks, I knew when I scored one of them I was in for another wave of :mouthonfire:

In the fridge next to the 10 ;)

chilliman64 said:
you sure it's got enough hot stuff in it Dog? any reports or is your tongue to hot to talk (or type)?

is instacure the same as Prague Powder - the pink cure? as that is what I use

Yah, Man, pink it is, and it's my favourite color.....Hah (Instacure is another name for prague powder, it's just sodium nitrate on a salt carrier. Just make sure it is #1. #2 is used for dry curing).
My second batch was not as good as the first, it seems when I substituted the "dry rub" spices I lost something.
Still hot, still homemade, but I am going back to adding the ingredients separately next batch. I want to take some pics, also.
I'm getting good feedback. I really wish I could enter the contest.

chilliman64 I passed the last remaining stick of CM64 jerky to my neighbour. Two thumbs up from yet another chillihead. Well, he did pass me a case of dark cider and here's hoping he stops passing me that birdseye coated shoeleather he gets from his mate....although I keep eating it :D

He also doesn't want any more fresh pods from me...just more 'nerd pain', he tasted it at the Bathurst bash & I left him half a jar. Ahh yes the man has taste :cool:

birdseye coated shoeleather indeed! - you love it, you know you do!!! I could always 'forget' to send you some next batch if your neighbour wants...

chilliman64 said:
birdseye coated shoeleather indeed! - you love it, you know you do!!! I could always 'forget' to send you some next batch if your neighbour wants...

Noooooo don't forget your number one gastronome. I've spent a year converting my neighbour from "Ugg, chilli good" to "Habaneros have a great flavour" and "Where can I get some more of that sauce"
He's now converted on real, well made jerky...there's no turning back...will pay you for next batch :cool:

so you wont talk hey..:silenced: :lol: thats cool, its an excellent flavor, blend & texture, it's so more-ish to eat & the heat level just builds so nicely. Between that & your C64 Yellow Hab sauce you should be planning your retirement. :onfire:

sorry dude - I'd left the pc turned on and went to watch tv before retiring and didn't see your second post.

I use a LEM Jerky Cannon for the groundmeat. my dehydrator will dry just over a kilo's worth in about 7 hours - I need to get more trays and sheets!

I vary the CM64 yellow stuff every time I make it but essentially it's the same, I just tend to add more habs.

I'm still trying to make 'the' batch of jerky. I think the most recent batch had great heat and the dusting of fatalii, ground pepper and additional seasoning worked but I think it was still a touch too salty. next batch I'll reduce the seasoning 'in' the mix but do everything else the same and I reckon I'll almost be there! you can let me know what you think about the change once I've made it.

chilliman64 said:
sorry dude - I'd left the pc turned on and went to watch tv before retiring and didn't see your second post.

I figured that. Keep forgetting that your getting on in years and likely to fall asleep in front of the telly ;)

I thought that last batch of jerky was perfect, but hey, if I have to try another batch who am I to argue :onfire:

Jerky Cannon

chilliman64 said:
apologies to the mods in advance if this should be in a different section, I couldn't find a dedicated jerky section.

last night I mixed up a batch of jerky

4.25lb of very lean beef mince/groundmeat
20 ts of Backwoods Original jerky seasoning
1ts cure
4ts hickory smoke dust
2ts Fatalii powder
3/4 cup of water

and left it in a ziplock bag overnight.

this morning I loaded up the jerky cannon and shot five trays of strips with only a little left over. then I sprinkled the top of each strip with freshly ground black peppercorns, a dusting of Backwoods Original, a shake of Fatalii powder and then gave all of it a light misting of warm water to help the pepper, chile and Backwoods stick a little better. dehydrator on highest setting, flipped it after 2 hours.

those of you who make jerky will surely be guilty of this - I always pick out the little crunchy bits and nibble on them while flipping the jerky over. the verdict - could be one of my best batches ever, it certainly tastes good! I have a tendancy to over-flavour or over-smoke or over-salt my jerky on occasion but so far so good. now I've got about 5-6 hours to go.

hey chilliman, tell me buddy. what is a jerky cannon? i use to make my jerky from turkey, but it's getting way to expensive.
a 1.49$ a pound a year ago, n today 2.49$ a pound. im gonna have to change the type of meat n this cannon thing might get me there.
will i still be able to marinade the meat b4 the dehydrating process? also, not only do i not bother deseeding the peppers for whatever, when i am making turkey jerkey(say that fast 5 times)i put the turkey on the dehydrator on the highest setting for 2 hrs, n then flip over at a lower setting for an additional 6n 1/2
hrs. which gives me a nice soft jerkey.

gday Sauceman.

the Jerky Cannon is like a big caulking gun that you fill with your marinated/seasoned ground meat - it's a great invention and I love it! you can also get a sausage nozzle and make your own snags if you can get some casings, something I intend trying very soon!

have a look at the LEM website:
http://www.lemproducts.com/category/jerky_cannon_accessories/a

you still marinade the meat but you don't have to wait for the sauce to be taken up, just mix it and shoot out the strips straight onto the dehydrator trays. you won't have to deseed as the nozzles are plenty wide enough. if you don't want to marinade you can just add a dry rub but you will still need to add some water otherwise it will stick to the cannon and make it difficult to shoot. the water doesn't extend the drying time - I've accidentally added too much and it still took around 7 hours.

the only time I ever buy jerky now is if I have run out and desperately need some, otherwise I make a big batch and just munch away!

I've never tried turkey jerky but it sounds good! I have only ever made beef. I usually use the Backwoods seasoning as a base and add hab powder etc to give it a kick.

Fellow Chilliheads, I just had to let you all know, Ive just been eating the best beef jerky ever! Chilliman64 sent me a package of his home made beef jerky & well.... its absolutely awesome.

C64, I need to know how to make my own. Full instructions please, fair dinkum mate, Im going to run out of this real fast & Im going to need more, more I tell you MORE!!!!

:)

Back