• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

kgetpeppers 2014 GL: 10/15. Late harvests

Last season was full of disappointment but a strong learning experience. Ebay had gotten me enticed by WORLDS HOTTEST PEPPER SEEEDS. Those bell peppers I received were not hot at all :P. I did however grow some very delicious cayenne pepper plants that turned out well as well as some tomatoes. On to new beginnings I invested in a 4 bulb t5 HO system and did lots of research and buying and trading seeds here on THP. The rest is history. The knowledge this community has given me is a great and I can only learn more with experience. 

I started this season with 40 varieties in mind: My final grow list includes: Thanks to all who sold and or traded with me

Reaper-smokemaster
Reaper-Ochocinco
Lightning mix-aji joe
Sepia-D BULL
prik yee- D BULL
Hot lemon drop
Peach ghost 
Red savina
Pineapple aji-ajijoe
Green Scorpion-Ochocinco-turned out to not be green
Red bhutlah-SLP
Brown bhutlah-SLP
MOA-Kingdenniz
BBG7-    "
Brown Moruga-sicman
Primo- Pepperlover
Joes long ceyenne-My own 2013 seed
Yellow bullet hab- a thp member
red teardrop hab- thp member- ajijoe
Charapita-SLP
Pequin
Chiltipen-SLP
Chocolate fatali
peach Ghost 
ancient sweet pepper
biker billy jalepeno
Japones
pepper joes peter pepper
Cumari do para
 Datil
Padron
Sb7j
Devils tongue white
Giant jalepeno
Another random sweet pepper

I was planning on Growing a few more but germination did not occur
bahamian goat-
brazilian starfish-really bummed on this one :(
pepper joes carolina reaper- not so bummed on this one :)

Germination started a little late about mid march I started all the seeds after a soak in some tea and warm water in some seed starting medium in small paper cells that come rows of 5. These were the worst starting pots I have ever used. They did not allow for almost any root development and water absorption and basically put me a month behind schedule. I planted a second wave of the ones I really wanted like BBG7, Brown M etc in solo cups and they exploded with growth faster that the ones a month old. I quickly repotted them into 3.5 inch pots and after initial shock they began to grow.

I grew in my garage which wasn't kept too warm it was around 67 degrees and fluctuated because we had a really bad winter and spring here in illinois. Lights were on a timer 18-6 after 24 hours for first few weeks. A fan blew for 2 hours twice a day on a timer. 

Pictures will be up asap!

Thanks for joining me!

Well, Decided to take a few snaps to see the progress on some of my plants. Its only been a week but they seem to be starting to love their new home :)
DSCF1289_zps9b54cadd.jpg

bushy cumari
DSCF1288_zps85691b44.jpg

new growth after top
DSCF1287_zpsc4cf44a6.jpg

charapita
DSCF1286_zpse4f5a2f0.jpg

bhutlah
DSCF1285_zps0e38b119.jpg

bhutlah red?
DSCF1284_zpsb8790cd6.jpg

bbg7 coming back from sub damage!
DSCF1283_zpsa42e26b1.jpg

brown moruga back from dead!
DSCF1282_zps190bfac1.jpg

topped plant im going to give away
DSCF1280_zpsfa4736fd.jpg

small cumari liking its small 1 quart smart pot leftovers

Thanks for looking!

Runescape said:
Nice to hear your plants are recovering... Was interested in the charapita plant. Googling "charapita" in Images, yielded some unexpected results...
hahah what results did you get. Google charapita pepper next time :) they are small little balls of fire. good flavor and heat doesn't last too long but hits hard up front.

OCD Chilehead said:
Plants are looking good. Those raised beds are great. Good luck on your grow. Here's a link to AACT for you. http://www.microbeorganics.com/#What_is_Compost_Tea_
Thanks, Here are some updated shots!!. Thanks for the link. I got a bubbler and my first tea should be done today.

Here in chicagoland its been raining like crazy for like 2 days and everything is soaked. The weird thing is my plants seem to have loved it. I still only have one plant that shows signs of cal/mag deficiency and I ordered some more cal-mag to hopefully boost it up. Tomatoes and annuums are taking off like fire, chinese are still slow to grow and bud, 

20140611_122124_zpssj1mrgxl.jpg

Two reapers ^^ Starting to look better, they started really small and are now taking off, the right one squirrels keep digging into.. little bastards!!!  :rofl:

20140611_122121_zpsgnpizezz.jpg

BBgum7 starting to grow.

20140611_121955_zpsvezrnnjs.jpg

super bushy romas, Ran out of cages so they just free ballin for now, will support with steaks soon.
20140611_121952_zpstlmmmgqx.jpg

another roma shot.
20140611_121934_zpsr3rm6mvf.jpg

Little shot of the extras i had with some spare fabric. Prolly 1Q-1 gallon in size. Have a bbgum7, prik yee, japones, and forgot what else ><
20140611_121718_zpsrjaerr2p.jpg

I wanna say this is a peach ghost, but i forgot to label. Its ok I like suprises
20140611_121536_zpsna82r78t.jpg

MOA
20140611_121533_zps4ywiovgs.jpg

Red teardrop hab really bushing out
20140611_121646_zpsaedqf68p.jpg

Beefmaster really shooting out of that bucket. crazy growth on this one
20140611_121653_zpswpmgbqpp.jpg

sweet 100 cherry tomato. great plants, but they get super bushy for me so i will have to steak and tie them up or they will shade my smaller pepper plants in back
Bump for bed pics!

Plants are looking good. Tomatoes look like there growing. I wish my peppers grew as fast as my tomatoes. I'm in the hurry up and wait stage. I almost bought some sweet 100. That is a great idea on using tomatoes to shade peppers. That gives me an idea for next year. Thanks for the update.

OCD Chilehead said:
Plants are looking good. Tomatoes look like there growing. I wish my peppers grew as fast as my tomatoes. I'm in the hurry up and wait stage. I almost bought some sweet 100. That is a great idea on using tomatoes to shade peppers. That gives me an idea for next year. Thanks for the update.
Wasnt my initial plan but just may work haha. I actually did that with my jalepenos last year and they had good harvests

Here is some of the bed shots :)
All pics were after 2 days of rain so bare with me :)
20140611_121841_zpsai0i4rcg.jpg

Bhutlah SLP
20140611_121830_zpsuurqjwwy.jpg

White devil tongue that has had the leave looks since early on :(. Hoping the cal mag will help.
20140611_121821_zpsneiwumw2.jpg

Sepia serpent
20140611_121741_zpsfghfod1z.jpg

Brown moruga
20140611_121737_zpsez0zojef.jpg

Cumari
20140611_121732_zpsy93lqlfr.jpg

Giant jalepeno
20140611_121724_zps7t2auhkp.jpg

Red long ceyenne one of my favs
20140611_121616_zpsdgnlflp3.jpg

Pequin bush :)
20140611_121622_zpsxzux9kye.jpg

topped bhutlah slp 2
20140611_121608_zpsw0qdrkvo.jpg

Primo!!

Guess thats ten, last ones will be posted tomorrow pending bumpage.

Runescape said:
Bump, awesome lookin tomatoes and pepeprs, dude...
Thanks, Looking much better now. Terrible starting pots really killed like 3 weeks of growing time :( Always a learning process !!!!:)

Also made some Compost tea couple days ago that went on the plants! hope they like it.

Had a nice foam to it, forgot to take pictures but it was 
2 cups compost from scraps, worm poop etc.
grass clippings
fish liquid
rain water.

Your peppers are really starting to take off, you'll have a hedge with all those topped bushes soon.

Sweet 100 was the tomato name that I couldn't remember. I grabbed a 4-pack of another type in it that only had three and they said I could pop a fourth in, I grabbed a sweet 100 but no label. How'd you like them last season?

They were mass producers, I had small cherry sized fruit on one plant that were very delicious right off the plant. Another plant produced larger fruits but still were great and sweet.
The smaller fruit producing plant produced easily over 1k cherry tomatoes. Was harvesting well into october and was giving them away by the pints. Had one grow about 8 feet tall.
Yes I topped about 25% of my plants in experimentation on poddage and buds. Guess we will find out.
Thanks for the bump.

20140611_121553_zpsosgipgec.jpg

BBG7
20140611_121549_zps0cpnwacc.jpg

Choc fatali.

THanks for looking

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good. Plants have nice color to them. Looks like they are about to start growing like crazy. Thanks for sharing.
Yes they have doubled in size within the week and a half I would say. Hopefully double again and start spitting out buds so i can get some pods in august .

Update,

All plants are doing well despite the rain. Most of the chinese have grown 4 more inches or so and even had one putting out some buds!!! Annums are budding well and should have some jalepeno pods by week or two forming. 

My biggest tomato plant grew so fast the five gallon bucket with promix ran out of nutes so it was looking scary, fresh dose of nutes and some cal mag and it looks all better ...phewwww..

Pruned a few of the pepper plants giant shade leafs off as some were damaged from initial transplant and sunburn so why waste the energy....

Another thing I see is that MOA leaves are freaking huge.!!

Still waiting on my white fatali to make a turn around. Idk its looked cal or mag deficient from a small plant but no sign of disease and still is growing.. only plant showing any sign. Ferts and cal mag once a week on that one and nothing, well see what happens..

Dhfreak82 said:
I cant wait to see your bhutla produce pods. Awsome start to the season
Thanks!!!

Maybe I will post some update pics tomorrow if I have a chance

6-22-14, 

Well, here in chicagoland it has rained for the last 4 days in a row with some heavy rainage. Yesterday in my town we had a storm move in and it rained 3 inches in 30 minutes. Tons of flooded roads and really is testing my drainage haha :). Looking good so far in the beds. 

I think tonight I might dose some foliar epsom salt to green em up a little. 

Tomatoes! --Tomatoes are all looking pretty good, the nutrient deficient plant is coming back and still putting out flowers and forming tomatoes like crazy
ROMA- I had to cage some of the roma which was tough as they are already pretty huge and bushy. You will see in upcoming pictures. The tomatoes in the back of my pepper beds I think will have to be trimmed and I only have a few cages left so im going to put them on the romas and the beefmaster most likely. The cherry tomato plants just always get super freakin bushy so fast and put out hundreds of flowers so that will be fun later this season. Will have to do some wooden stakes to kinda keep them in one direction so my peppers get sun :D

Peppers- Well, all the rain some of the plants enjoyed, mostly the annums, the chinese are still slow but now starting to put out some buds on some of them which is nice :)

Overall things look pretty good, I will dose some epsom tonight as they usually love that and enjoy not having to water for the next week because more storms likely here!

Enjoy
DSCF1316_zps00b123b1.jpg

Small prik yee plant putting out some buds in a small smart pot.!
DSCF1315_zpsda477b8f.jpg

group shot of the "leftovers" hell they might put out a pod or two and ill be happy :)
DSCF1339_zps812c71bd.jpg

Reaper!
DSCF1338_zps0486157d.jpg

REAPER-Ochocinco branching off
DSCF1337_zps52619ea1.jpg

One of two BBG7 plants starting to grow feet
DSCF1325_zpsb251c54a.jpg

Red t drop hab-ajijoe
DSCF1324_zpsbc022925.jpg

MOA looking beefy, has taken off lately.
DSCF1317_zpsd0be98c4.jpg

some bhutlah buds, dont mind the sand/dirt, its been storming like mad here and blowing up my soil :)
DSCF1322_zps94c482bb.jpg

giant jalepeno with about 20+ buds on it :)

BUMP

Nulle said:
Thank you,, More pics now..
DSCF1336_zps6f96a885.jpg

had a spare spot so i through a little tomatillo in there
DSCF1335_zps48d9154c.jpg

tomato side group 1
DSCF1334_zps21f6dc71.jpg

tomato group 2, O boy there will be too many maters. O wait I love salsa!
DSCF1333_zpsc876a4b5.jpg

caging the romas
DSCF1331_zps4650ad26.jpg

two left, might leave a few to see how massive it will be supported by stakes and twine.
DSCF1330_zpse52cb02e.jpg

Full shot of my personal corner lol
DSCF1329_zps9c6055a7.jpg

shading the japenos plan. going to stake them back towards fence soon.
DSCF1328_zpsb1a76a29.jpg

3 cherry plants, a pineapple, beefmaster
WHAT A JUNGLE>
DSCF1327_zps19380d98.jpg

chocolate fatali putting some buds
DSCF1326_zps5a1e9651.jpg

moa

Back