• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

kgetpeppers 2014 GL: 10/15. Late harvests

Last season was full of disappointment but a strong learning experience. Ebay had gotten me enticed by WORLDS HOTTEST PEPPER SEEEDS. Those bell peppers I received were not hot at all :P. I did however grow some very delicious cayenne pepper plants that turned out well as well as some tomatoes. On to new beginnings I invested in a 4 bulb t5 HO system and did lots of research and buying and trading seeds here on THP. The rest is history. The knowledge this community has given me is a great and I can only learn more with experience. 

I started this season with 40 varieties in mind: My final grow list includes: Thanks to all who sold and or traded with me

Reaper-smokemaster
Reaper-Ochocinco
Lightning mix-aji joe
Sepia-D BULL
prik yee- D BULL
Hot lemon drop
Peach ghost 
Red savina
Pineapple aji-ajijoe
Green Scorpion-Ochocinco-turned out to not be green
Red bhutlah-SLP
Brown bhutlah-SLP
MOA-Kingdenniz
BBG7-    "
Brown Moruga-sicman
Primo- Pepperlover
Joes long ceyenne-My own 2013 seed
Yellow bullet hab- a thp member
red teardrop hab- thp member- ajijoe
Charapita-SLP
Pequin
Chiltipen-SLP
Chocolate fatali
peach Ghost 
ancient sweet pepper
biker billy jalepeno
Japones
pepper joes peter pepper
Cumari do para
 Datil
Padron
Sb7j
Devils tongue white
Giant jalepeno
Another random sweet pepper

I was planning on Growing a few more but germination did not occur
bahamian goat-
brazilian starfish-really bummed on this one :(
pepper joes carolina reaper- not so bummed on this one :)

Germination started a little late about mid march I started all the seeds after a soak in some tea and warm water in some seed starting medium in small paper cells that come rows of 5. These were the worst starting pots I have ever used. They did not allow for almost any root development and water absorption and basically put me a month behind schedule. I planted a second wave of the ones I really wanted like BBG7, Brown M etc in solo cups and they exploded with growth faster that the ones a month old. I quickly repotted them into 3.5 inch pots and after initial shock they began to grow.

I grew in my garage which wasn't kept too warm it was around 67 degrees and fluctuated because we had a really bad winter and spring here in illinois. Lights were on a timer 18-6 after 24 hours for first few weeks. A fan blew for 2 hours twice a day on a timer. 

Pictures will be up asap!

Thanks for joining me!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
THanks bud wanted to get this round of pics up because in a few days more will be ripe :P

20140823_114054_zpsbc5ubwm9.jpg

This hab im not too sure on, Labeled red teardrop hab and was from the seed but maybe crossed. looks creamy red when ripe. Will be trying one soon

20140823_114108_zpsmx2anr88.jpg

YAY ripe hot lemon/pineapple aji woooo
20140823_114118_zpsusuqovti.jpg

tasty cayenne.

so i think this is pimente de neyde But still not sure, pretty freaking hot tho and prolific.
20140823_114348_zpsmsarmlu6.jpg

shot with some upripe DARK purple pods

20140823_114415_zpsl6uhluyc.jpg

Brown moruga getting nasty!
20140823_114424_zpsqmh81mzo.jpg

sepia serpent!
20140823_114440_zps6qpthnxj.jpg

Baby peach ghost "scorp"?
20140823_114523_zpslul2cziq.jpg

red bhutlah SLP
20140823_114538_zpsijwz0h97.jpg

chinese garden looking so good, next to my mild/medium variety bed that had 6 plants taken over by bacterial wilt.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Everything is looking great!
Thanks, glad i didnt get completely wiped out from plant issues/weather. Was a battle. Wonder if there is something I can treat the one raised bed with to help for next season.! any ideaS?

kgetpeppers said:
Thanks, glad i didnt get completely wiped out from plant issues/weather. Was a battle. Wonder if there is something I can treat the one raised bed with to help for next season.! any ideaS?
I suck at treating properly! I did replace a ish ton of soil however and put it in the easement for this one area I kept getting bacterial wilt in. So far it has worked this season. They always say cycle your plants but with small backyard grows that is damn hard!

Yeah, yours isnt that small :P but I think Im going to add tons of amendments next year to ensure really really really really good drainage. maybe some additional beneficial mycos, sand, perlite truckload and compost.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I suck at treating properly! I did replace a ish ton of soil however and put it in the easement for this one area I kept getting bacterial wilt in. So far it has worked this season. They always say cycle your plants but with small backyard grows that is damn hard!

20140913_181139_zps8qhvnebj.jpg

Small harvest from a couple plants. Only took about 1/4th of the ripe pods on each!!!! so many to process. Going to freeze and dry some for later use

Any ideas if frozen pods can be dried at a later date?

You can free them and dry them later.  Haven't done it myself yet, but looked into it myself thinking I would have too.  Been getting away with keeping them in a super cold extra fridge in basement.  Seem to be keeping fine for weeks until I can catch up.  Been drying 6 trays worth 2x a week.  

jcw10tc said:
You can free them and dry them later.  Haven't done it myself yet, but looked into it myself thinking I would have too.  Been getting away with keeping them in a super cold extra fridge in basement.  Seem to be keeping fine for weeks until I can catch up.  Been drying 6 trays worth 2x a week.  
Uhg yeah, pretty soon its going to be drying crazy style even with giving away a pound a week or and selling  SFRB every now and then. Peoria nice, how was the weather lately :P

kgetpeppers said:
Uhg yeah, pretty soon its going to be drying crazy style even with giving away a pound a week or and selling  SFRB every now and then. Peoria nice, how was the weather lately :P
Weather is wet.  Had 8+ inches of rain at my house last week, cold now.  I have been taking  5+ pounds a week to work to give away.  Usually one completely full grocery sack sometimes more.  Biggest harvests over, but if time before frost got some massive second sets of pods on some plants. Pulled out over 20 plants that I didn't like or had picked most of and didn't want to deal with anymore.  110 plants was just too many, need to limit to 50 next year.  Have almost 50 2 oz. containgers of powder now.  Probably have to give most of this away also as I couldn't go through all this in about 10 years and still make more for some reason.

jcw10tc said:
Weather is wet.  Had 8+ inches of rain at my house last week, cold now.  I have been taking  5+ pounds a week to work to give away.  Usually one completely full grocery sack sometimes more.  Biggest harvests over, but if time before frost got some massive second sets of pods on some plants. Pulled out over 20 plants that I didn't like or had picked most of and didn't want to deal with anymore.  110 plants was just too many, need to limit to 50 next year.  Have almost 50 2 oz. containgers of powder now.  Probably have to give most of this away also as I couldn't go through all this in about 10 years and still make more for some reason.
Haha yeah I could not imagine. I started with maybr 45 plants and couldn't imagine that many lol even after losing ten

kgetpeppers said:

so i think this is pimente de neyde But still not sure, pretty freaking hot tho and prolific.
20140823_114348_zpsmsarmlu6.jpg

shot with some upripe DARK purple pods

Yup, that's what it is. Looks identical to my 3 pimento de neyde plants.
Oh, and those are GOOD eating peppers. NOMNOMNOMNOM

TrentL said:

Yeah was supposed to be a brown bhutlah slp but im happy. They taste pretty good on pizza hehe

TrentL said:

Yeah was supposed to be a brown bhutlah slp but im happy. They taste pretty good on pizza hehe

Devv said:
Good job this year!

Drying after freezing works well.

I like what I see here!
Thanks dev, hopefully weather holds out for a month and can get many more pods.

Nothing compared to what you get tho :P

kgetpeppers said:
Thanks dev, hopefully weather holds out for a month and can get many more pods.

Nothing compared to what you get tho :P

I'm hoping the weather holds for all the Northern growers. My volume this year was due to 130 plants, was just too much work! Gonna scale back next year, wife says BS, but I want to!

Yes, those pods are going to be hot! Gotta at least give 'em a taste after a meal so your stomach is full ;)

Ok so I tried the bbg 7 and as soon as I cut the pod I knew I was in trouble. It hit pretty hard and creeped up to a pretty high level. Burps and hiccups. Not quite insane but pretty close.

Devv, is your grow done for season ?

Well it is in the dirt, I have the cover crop coming up. The soil needs a good rehab. I have one 4x8' raised bed and about 10 in containers still going. I'm waiting for the fall flowering, I just hit them with nutes today, and the weather is cooling down. I plan on running them until a frost. Hopefully I get some produce.The ones I dug up and put in containers have been suffering in the heat, they did much better when we had to cool front this weekend. Soon, we'll be in the 80's and I hope they then smile and kick it in.

I also have the fall nons started in one of the raised beds. And in another I'll plant garlic this next weekend.

The grow never stops here, it just changes gears ;)

Back