• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

kgetpeppers 2014 GL: 10/15. Late harvests

Last season was full of disappointment but a strong learning experience. Ebay had gotten me enticed by WORLDS HOTTEST PEPPER SEEEDS. Those bell peppers I received were not hot at all :P. I did however grow some very delicious cayenne pepper plants that turned out well as well as some tomatoes. On to new beginnings I invested in a 4 bulb t5 HO system and did lots of research and buying and trading seeds here on THP. The rest is history. The knowledge this community has given me is a great and I can only learn more with experience. 

I started this season with 40 varieties in mind: My final grow list includes: Thanks to all who sold and or traded with me

Reaper-smokemaster
Reaper-Ochocinco
Lightning mix-aji joe
Sepia-D BULL
prik yee- D BULL
Hot lemon drop
Peach ghost 
Red savina
Pineapple aji-ajijoe
Green Scorpion-Ochocinco-turned out to not be green
Red bhutlah-SLP
Brown bhutlah-SLP
MOA-Kingdenniz
BBG7-    "
Brown Moruga-sicman
Primo- Pepperlover
Joes long ceyenne-My own 2013 seed
Yellow bullet hab- a thp member
red teardrop hab- thp member- ajijoe
Charapita-SLP
Pequin
Chiltipen-SLP
Chocolate fatali
peach Ghost 
ancient sweet pepper
biker billy jalepeno
Japones
pepper joes peter pepper
Cumari do para
 Datil
Padron
Sb7j
Devils tongue white
Giant jalepeno
Another random sweet pepper

I was planning on Growing a few more but germination did not occur
bahamian goat-
brazilian starfish-really bummed on this one :(
pepper joes carolina reaper- not so bummed on this one :)

Germination started a little late about mid march I started all the seeds after a soak in some tea and warm water in some seed starting medium in small paper cells that come rows of 5. These were the worst starting pots I have ever used. They did not allow for almost any root development and water absorption and basically put me a month behind schedule. I planted a second wave of the ones I really wanted like BBG7, Brown M etc in solo cups and they exploded with growth faster that the ones a month old. I quickly repotted them into 3.5 inch pots and after initial shock they began to grow.

I grew in my garage which wasn't kept too warm it was around 67 degrees and fluctuated because we had a really bad winter and spring here in illinois. Lights were on a timer 18-6 after 24 hours for first few weeks. A fan blew for 2 hours twice a day on a timer. 

Pictures will be up asap!

Thanks for joining me!

I'm still fighting some problems with mine too. 

I've got three distinct problems hitting my plants. The frogeye leaf spot continues. Also have a viral or bacterial infection of a different sort. And lately a "crinkled distorted leaf" thing is hitting one row, right down the line. (Hoping like hell that's not broadleaf mites..)

I keep pruning the hell out of them and it's starting to clear up some.

Sorry to hear about the leaf issues, bud; that is kind of sucky.

How do you know if the spots are a bacterial infection and not just some rust or burn?
I've seen a leaf here and there like the ones you showed, but just pull them off.  If it is
a possible bacterial infection, how would I tell?

kgetpeppers said:
Here is some pics to go with my update, First the bad! This is the bacterial spotting that has plagued my annums only at the moment and one bbg7 whych i stripped the leaves from,. "prays". 

DSCF1347_zpsffb23b02.jpg

DSCF1340_zpsc3107e8d.jpg

I pulled the plant that was the "main culprit" as it saddens me, but may be for the best. 

That looks like Frogeye - it's a bacterial fungal infection. Prune & remove any leaves that show spots.

The other ones with the crinkled leaves and edges that are decaying, could be fertilizer burn.

OyZOKlhh.png

The one thing they say you can tell if bacterial or fungal is that bacterial will be on all parts of plant I think. But anyways I have the spots under control right now but has anyone experienced bacterial wilt. I know one plant had this because I pulled the plant which looked wilted and dead and cut the stem open. The key sign is a white stringy goo that comes out in water as well as Browning of the veins inside. I think my aji pineapple which was closest to the plant that died from bacterial wilt is now going down due to wilt. This sucks really bad as it was loading up with many pods. ..have not lost a Chinese yet tho but ill knock on wood. ...

Ill try to update with some pics soon tonight or tomorrow. Im hoping my one bbg plant survives as it had its first pod and pheno looks good. Also some nice moa action and first primo pod forming. Only plant with no pods are the reapers ; (

Thank you all for the kind words and for looking.

TrentL said:
You just described Fusarium Wilt to a T.

Not a whole heck of a lot you can DO about fusarium, either. It lasts for-fricking-ever in the soil.

You can muck with the PH some,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusarium_wilt

Go down to the "management" part.
Hmm, I knew any kind of wilt is pretty bad from soil standpoint. I hope it stays isolated in the one bed at least so i can have a SMALL success. I do have some lime I can spread around as well as I hear some cornmeal can help the situation. Really sucks if it hits the other bed as the plants there are starting full production mode right now. :(

How are your plants holding up to all your issues trent.

Updated with pics as promised. Anyways, It has really been a struggle and it seems many organisms were to blame. Hard to combat that 2+ weeks of rain everyday but hopefully I still can manage some peppers. First pictures of the bad. This aji pineapple has some sort of bacterial and or fungal wilt that strangled the plants water from below. It wilted so fast had no idea. Very sad loss, I just hope it doesnt spread too far into ALL of the plants. At least the beds are seperated and only one has had issues this season.

20140728_123352_zpsyn42ku94.jpg

RIP #5.. :( pods and all.

Now onto some better pictures.
20140728_123318_zpsnkifzuwl.jpg

Small SB7J, I havent had many flowers take so I might consider some hand pollenation with this plant and a couple other of superhots which just wont pod up.

20140728_123344_zpsdika0urr.jpg

small red teardrop hab, This plant had severe BLS and now is recovering and spitting flowers out again.
20140728_123525_zps21zgie5g.jpg

The hot lemon drop I HOPE survives, its in a 5 gallon bucket so hopefully it doesnt transfer over and wilt my whole garden. Healthy so far

20140728_123556_zpsyc3zrqlm.jpg

Super podded up red savina 
20140728_123633_zpswxjwglnw.jpg

first MOA pod, what you think?
20140728_123656_zpsxa9heyol.jpg

another MOA pod
20140728_123302_zpsaz58mci8.jpg

White devils tongue multi pod!!!
20140728_123254_zpslmtqswzw.jpg

tons of pods on this ugly plant!!!
20140728_123824_zpsxbzylbad.jpg

Lightning hab....

I think thats 10.. BUMPPPPPPPP

Ugh, that fusarium wilt is kicking your ass, man.  That's gutwrenching.

One thing you *MIGHT* want to try - and it's a long shot, and not cheap - is to saturate that area around the wilted plants with Hydrogen Peroxide.  I saved two of my plants with it from sudden wilt this winter. (used 1 gallon of H2O2 per pot).

It's not practical to do on a large scale, but if you don't have a huge area to cover... might be worth a shot. It'll hyper-oxygenate the soil, which kills the fungus in the soil. (great for plant roots! DEADLY to fungus.)

TrentL said:
Ugh, that fusarium wilt is kicking your ass, man.  That's gutwrenching.

One thing you *MIGHT* want to try - and it's a long shot, and not cheap - is to saturate that area around the wilted plants with Hydrogen Peroxide.  I saved two of my plants with it from sudden wilt this winter. (used 1 gallon of H2O2 per pot).

It's not practical to do on a large scale, but if you don't have a huge area to cover... might be worth a shot. It'll hyper-oxygenate the soil, which kills the fungus in the soil. (great for plant roots! DEADLY to fungus.)
Yeah, I still dont know if its fusarium or bacterial. The last plant i split open the trunk and did the water dunk test and it was spewing out white substance which was a sign of bacterial. No more plants have shown signs of deterioration yet so ill knock on wood. I did spray some h202 one quart mixed with 3q water onto the worst part hit of the soil and recovering plants. TBH i believe i FOUND part of the source for this shit too. I had been offered some mulch from my neighbor which was sitting in his driveway. It seemed good but later found out it was dyed etc and not the plain ol chips i been using. Well, the areas of concern is that i ONLY used some of that mulch on the affected bed. So who knows, It was soaked and sitting on his driveway for a week. Lessons learned.

Here is a few pod pics tho :P
20140804_172935_zpsah3x68fo.jpg

BBg 7 with some dog hair :D
20140804_172928_zpsxvaoyvq0.jpg

actually was STOKEd to find out this grew into pequin, which i had lost two plants to wilt in beds. phew
20140804_172900_zpsuor0q6bf.jpg

two "bonchi" bhutlah plants. actually grow well in the small pot, given nutes and waterings. Most likely wont do any OW because chances of bacterial issues here already.
20140804_172725_zpsy6umtq7c.jpg

CHocolate fatali LOADED with pods
20140804_172706_zpsrh21is0g.jpg

primoooo got bumpy and wicked!
20140728_124057_zpslo5bvvq7.jpg

was labeled Brown bhutlah, from SLP. Turned out to be ???? what do you think.? Hot, chinese. dark leaves on plant
20140728_124018_zpsdyporaev.jpg

damn peach ghost wont freaking pod up...

20140728_124005_zpsx8m55l7f.jpg

another mystery. Old pic ...wonder what it is.
20140728_123911_zps0enndbca.jpg

Lightning hab mix, have two plants of this. Seems to be growing well..!!!!

THanks for looking.
20140801_150414_zpsihqflajk.jpg

Bonus pic, I went fishing for three days with my dad and this was the first fish of the trip.. Ended up that day with 5 bass 17,17.5,18,18.5 and a 16.75 inch next day was 16 that was fat and 19"

Damn nice fish man! 

I hear you on the mulch, I was scared when I added mulch to my garden this year. I went with triple-shredded hardwood. And I only put on 1" of it over a weed block barrier, so the mulch itself stays real dry.

Well good luck and don't be shy with the H2O2, you literally CAN NOT add enough of it to hurt your plants. 

This winter one of my plants, a Scotch bonnet I've been raising since 2012, got hit with root rot after I overwatered it.

I used a GALLON AND A HALF of Hydrogen peroxide, totally flushing the pot out (filled the 2" drip pan several times with funky nasty smelling runoff waste water)

RES91F9h.jpg

3 weeks ago, it looked like this:

NoqfxEkh.jpg

Omg. So mad. I was checking the brown moruga plant for pod formation and I shook the plant to move some pollen around and snapped a branch with like 40 buds on it. Clean off the plant and no time to repair. O well time to let mother nature do its thing

Small harvest of non peppers and couple RIPE peppers!!

NEED help i.d a pepper of mine please.

20140807_180905_zpsjxswfhg2.jpg

Yellow bullet hab looking pretty to shape, and pretty damn hot, phew.. Chopped this bad boy up and put it in some salsa, not the best flavor fresh but might be as dried.

20140809_121012_zpsedbygmgy.jpg

tons of cherries coming in and romas.

20140809_121023_zpsk0sik4ap.jpg

so that orange pod is one on the mystery plant labeled brown bhutlah, seeds were from SLP. The plant started out pretty much black/purple so im thinking some kinda pimente de ..........

It had dark purple pods as seen in GLOG, Then changed to a green color before ripening to a bright ORANGE.

Any ideas? 

Thanks for looking

8-24-14

Pods are changing color fast. Over the last week we have gotten over 7 inches of rain so thats not good. I hope the early season problems to not worsen as they have been tamed for most of the summer now. Gave the plants some more ferts, least I will have a great chinese harvest since NONE of my chinese bed got knocked out which makes me a little glad.

I also tried a ripe 7 pod evergreen, Will have to take some pictures of another but holy shizzle was that HOT. Made my ears ring. Pretty cool how it doesnt change color!!!...

ON to some PODDDDSSS!!!!

20140823_113743_zpsuuklyto7.jpg

One of my randoms extra. Believe its a sepia serpent!.

20140823_113808_zps6tfs1gwx.jpg

BBG7 spare plant doing better in the 1 gallon bag then in my 7 gallon bag.... go figure!!!!!
20140823_113814_zpsji8km51d.jpg

PRIK yee SUan ripening up. HOT little buggers!!!! This one is in a half gallon smart pot homemade and has around 200 pods.
20140823_113932_zpslwl8ner1.jpg

WHite devils tongue ripening up... Leaves on plant havent changed from day one,, just going to go with it!!!!
20140823_113956_zpsettz65eb.jpg

YELLOW bullet habs shooting out some ripe pods, Definately grew true!
20140823_114003_zpskdfgw2ob.jpg

Labeled RED SAVINA, looks ok so far!!!
20140823_114013_zpsrzidtoo7.jpg

"lightning habenero" MIX of seeds. guess this plant turned out to be brown/burgandy!!! MONSTER pod too 
20140823_114027_zpsa24bkh44.jpg

7 pod EVERGREEN> tried this one, strong chinese smell and pretty damn hot.
20140823_114038_zpskgc0oxsq.jpg

First nasty primo starting to ripen!!!!!
20140823_114047_zpsqrhuj0oy.jpg

LOADED Brown Fatali starting to turn!!!!

Thats ten,,

BUMP PLS!!!!!

THANKS FOR LOOKING

Back