• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kiwi Grow Off - Heaviest weight of pods off a single plant

The Dorset Naga looks like the Bih Jolokia then? One of us could pollinate 2 flowers on the same plant and that should give us a pure strain if all seeds used are from the same pod? Yeah Judy seems to have some good seed and I have her Brown Moruga growing this year which I will compare to the Choc Moruga I have! Seen those Dorset Naga vids before and those plants are MENTAL! If someone has the seeds then let's grow them! I asked Ed the other day about phytogenic testing papers and he said he has never sent any to NZ but obviously he has sent a lot of seeds! Who actually got called into a meeting with MAF if that did indeed happen? Were those seeds labelled correctly or was it because there were no phytogenic papers with them or do you now have to get clearance from MAF to import any chilli seeds? Might give them a call my self and find out the real deal! Anyway Dorset Naga sounds good if we can get anywhere near those UK results :D

I went through the online MPI (formally MAF) documents with my girlfriend who works for customs to try and figure out what was up.  Essentially they are trying to stop Potato spindle tuber viroid:

https://mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/3130

It looks like if it is one of the following species:
Capsicum annuum see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum baccatum see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum cardenasii see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum chinense see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum eximium see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum frutescens see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum microcarpum see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum pendulum see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment Capsicum pubescens see 155.02.05 under Capsicum Requires assessment

it should be possible to get in with a phytosanitary certificate.

Countries: All
Quarantine Pests: Potato spindle tuber viroid1
Phytosanitary Requirements:
Before a phytosanitary certificate is issued, the NPPO of the exporting country must be satisfied that the following activities required by MPI have been undertaken.
The Capsicum seeds for sowing have been sourced from a “Pest free area”, or “Pest free place of production” free from the listed quarantine pests.
OR
have been officially tested, on a representative sample and using appropriate methods, and have been found to be free from the listed quarantine pests.
Phytosanitary Certificate Additional Declarations:
If satisfied that the pre-shipment activities have been undertaken, the exporting country NPPO must confirm this by providing the following additional declarations to the phytosanitary certificate:
“The Capsicum seeds for sowing have been sourced from either a “Pest free area” or “Pest free place of production”, free from Potato spindle tuber viroid”.
OR
“The Capsicum seeds for sowing have been officially tested, on a representative sample, and using appropriate methods, and found to be free from Potato spindle tuber viroid”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytosanitary_certification

The contact details to ask questions about this sort of thing is plantimports@mpi.govt.nz . I am not sure if that helps anyone.

What I don't know and would like to is how much does it cost to get the certificate issued?  It seems the shipper organizes it so it would require finding someone willing to do that.

Cheers for the info! I did hear it was a potato disease they were trying to prevent! Met a lady from MPI at the markets up north the other week and she said they were growing the Ghost chilli! Apparently the Ghost paste she made wasn't hot enough for someone she tried to BURN so she got some Dragons Fury of me! So they have added some of the wild cultivars then. Is anyone growing any of the 4 species that are not the 5 domesticated ones? There are another 20 wild species so what about them? What countries actually have Potato spindle tuber viroid? Might check that out!

I am not sure what countries have PSTV but that would be interesting to know.

I have never grown a wild because of the import issues. I had the wild cultivar c.galaponse stopped coming into the country a year or 2 ago.  MPI said it could come in if I could make a case it was already here OR I could pay to have a feasibility study done.  The quote for the feasibility study was $17k which seemed a little steep.

I can't imagine a ghost paste not being hot enough, I wonder if what she was growing was genuine.  I really like the dragons fury, I had a very nice day sampling it I still vividly recall,  Did some of that make it onto that hells promotional pizza or have I invented that?

In my experience very few of the normal sellers supply phytosanitary certificates and for those that would, they charge something like US$50 per shipment for a cert, which is pretty steep and often more than the actual cost of the seeds themselves. And then who is to say that MAF will be happy with the cert supplied and not destroy the seed parcel anyway? They move in mysterious ways.....

I wish MAF had been this diligent a few years ago when the potato and tomato psyllids came in from the USA. Those evil critters destroy entire crops and caused me to lose half my plants this year! Talk about closing the barn door when the horse has already bolted! They are the worse pest i have faced and very difficult to get rid and stay rid of them....

I think if you can get your vendor to ship the seeds into the country in a plain envelope you should be good.Anything larger gets inspected/Xrayed

Swampy, that will definitely work.  I guess if it was $50 for a cert and 5-10 of us went in for a bulk order it wouldn't add much.  With the shipments being so hit and miss I can't really justify doing bigger orders but if I knew it would get though I would go crazy.

MAF should let you know before they destroy a shipment. Well, that was how it used to work anyway.

Rush35. are there any predators of the psyllids?

I'm keen for Dorset Naga. Looking at that video will definitely be upgrading my 70L pot this time, and might actually get the same soil mix and feed that they use. Not sure what happened to mine this season - it grew about 1.3M tall by 1m across but has only got about 30 pods on it. Although I have lost 400-500 flowers at the start of the season, they just kept falling off.

Robisburning said:
Swampy, that will definitely work.  I guess if it was $50 for a cert and 5-10 of us went in for a bulk order it wouldn't add much.  With the shipments being so hit and miss I can't really justify doing bigger orders but if I knew it would get though I would go crazy.

MAF should let you know before they destroy a shipment. Well, that was how it used to work anyway.

Rush35. are there any predators of the psyllids?
Not that i could find. The nymph stage looks like scale insects and covers itself with a wax layer to protect it from predators. The adult stage is a fly which you can spray for and use sticky traps. The eggs are on stalks on the edge of the leave but are so small you can hardly see them. Even if you do kill the nymphs and adults off they have a bacteria in their saliva that causes your plants to go yellow and then they are toast. At this stage there are only a couple treatments and even they need to be applied at regular intervals. The minute you see the psyllid sugars lying on the leaves you have a problem.
Lost about 100 plants to them.

Yeah our Fury and chillies were on Hell's pizza which went very well! Should be an even ANGRIER version this year ;)! All seeds are going to get tougher to import from now on and if you look what the EU is trying to do now with heirloom seeds having to be registered with govt etc it is not looking good for personal/hobby and small business growers around the world! I think we have all the cultivars we need already on these islands though but I guess there is always the next BIG one that everyone will want! All going to be from selective breeding and hybrids from now on anyway, I would guess! Never know that Guatemalean insanity pepper might pop up soon ;)

Fire Dragon said:
Yeah our Fury and chillies were on Hell's pizza which went very well! Should be an even ANGRIER version this year ;)! All seeds are going to get tougher to import from now on and if you look what the EU is trying to do now with heirloom seeds having to be registered with govt etc it is not looking good for personal/hobby and small business growers around the world! I think we have all the cultivars we need already on these islands though but I guess there is always the next BIG one that everyone will want! All going to be from selective breeding and hybrids from now on anyway, I would guess! Never know that Guatemalean insanity pepper might pop up soon ;)
That EU business was canned.This is what SeaSpring seeds had to say a few weeks ago.
"We got some good news today. DEFRA informed us that the EU proposed Plant Reproductive Material Directive has been withdrawn. WOW – thank goodness!! Sanity seeped into the EU Commission. The proposed law was going to be dreadful. It was to control the sale of plants and seed so that only registered varieties could be sold. Most of the interesting varieties are not registered, and are never likely to be as registration is a very expensive process. This decision is a very good thing for home gardeners."

I looked up an image of the Psyllid sugars late last night and thought they looked familiar. I got up early this morning to investigate and I pulled 2 tomato plants which were covered in the sugars and had the scale.  They were right between 2 rows of 5 hot pepper plants.  It looks like ladybugs and lacewings can feed on psyllids according to the link below:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/pests/potato-tomato-psyllid/psyillid-factsheet.pdf

It also appears they prefer tomatoes to pepper plants from what I have seen.  As much as it hurts I won't remove any other plants and will hope the beneficial insects will get control of the situation.  They have kept the aphid population in check, I hope they can take care of this invasive species. Fingers crossed the battle for dominance takes place on the tomatoes and my team wins.

Robisburning said:
I looked up an image of the Psyllid sugars late last night and thought they looked familiar. I got up early this morning to investigate and I pulled 2 tomato plants which were covered in the sugars and had the scale.  They were right between 2 rows of 5 hot pepper plants.  It looks like ladybugs and lacewings can feed on psyllids according to the link below:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/pests/potato-tomato-psyllid/psyillid-factsheet.pdf

It also appears they prefer tomatoes to pepper plants from what I have seen.  As much as it hurts I won't remove any other plants and will hope the beneficial insects will get control of the situation.  They have kept the aphid population in check, I hope they can take care of this invasive species. Fingers crossed the battle for dominance takes place on the tomatoes and my team wins.

I might trust them to keep aphids under control but you are a brave man to rely on them to keep psyllids under control. The psyllids target the whole tomato family equally from i have seen. They nailed my tomatoes at the same time as my chilli's. I have seen nothing like them for destruction. Remember they only need to start on your plants to kill them once the bacteria is introduced. Killing them later is too late to save plants already infected and they breed faster than aphids!

I did not hear back from Judy.  The Lava has a few unknowns against it in terms of productivity etc so perhaps we ditch it?  Did anyone else want to nominate a chinense before we vote? As it stands the only nominee is the dorset naga.

HOTttASsChillies said:
Ha, I was going to say Habanero as I can get about 4-5kg a season from mine in hydro. But habaneros are not very much fun are they - haha  ;)
Dorset naga was my most productive superhot to date, but the taste was earthy, grassy and kind of citrusy-ish-ish-ish lol scored it a 5/10 for taste and probably would only use it for sauces or cooking,
Hoping we could grow something either insanely hot or insanely yum..  i.e list below however i have absolutely no personal experience in tasting or growing these:

My wish list ;)
MOA scotch bonnet
Datil
yellow moruga scorp/yellow brain strain. (or mabye a guatemalan insanity pepper lol no no no iam joking)

Most of these will most likely be productive, relatively hot (bottem line very much so) but also big beautiful plants.

Back