• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kiwi Grow Off - Heaviest weight of pods off a single plant

I have a couple of Jay's Red Ghost's ripening now...lovely plant and the most wicked looking pod's out there! I am trying the peach version again as well but i think they are a great option. Will let you know about the heat in a couple of weeks.

There don't seem to be any other contenders.  I reckon we call it the Dorset Naga.  Nigel didn't quite have 10kgs of peppers so that is clearly the target to beat.  It would be a stunning achievement. 

Swampy, can you be our seed man?

Robisburning said:
There don't seem to be any other contenders.  I reckon we call it the Dorset Naga.  Nigel didn't quite have 10kgs of peppers so that is clearly the target to beat.  It would be a stunning achievement. 

Swampy, can you be our seed man?
Yep,no worries.How many seeds each do you think?

Swampy_NZ said:
Yep,no worries.How many seeds each do you think?

I reckon 5 minimum.  10 would be ideal. Do they produce a lot of seeds?  We have 9 people competing at the moment and might pick up a few more so might need as many as 150 seeds ready for action.
FireFlyNZ said:
Yep alright this is quite exciting, video review of pods for all then? Lol

With the size of the plants I am expecting from all of us maybe we could all chip in for a helicopter to take some aerial footage of the plants?

FireFlyNZ said:
Who is the vendor we are buying from? seaspring is rather expensive @ 6 quid ($12 nz) ??

SwampyNZ is kindly going to sort us out with some seeds from his upcoming crop of dorset nagas.  Cheers Swampy!
Who is doing what growing method?  My plan is an organic grow starting off inside under lights, then planting into a raised bed in a glasshouse (which I have yet to build). 

It is understandable if growing method is a secret this early on

Hydro.No more big soil grows for me.I am sick of watering them,busting my arse moving them and conversing with the Gods on when they need watering.

I'll be similar to Rob, started inside then out to a raised bed in a greenhouse around mid october when night time temps are closer to 10cels minimum.

Swampy_NZ said:
Hydro.No more big soil grows for me.I am sick of watering them,busting my arse moving them and conversing with the Gods on when they need watering.

Wow, I was not expecting that.  Without sounding like a broken record your grow this year has been a thing of beauty.  I hope the change works out well for you.

I am surprised to see as much hydro action planned. Deerdog, I grew without a glass house this year (well I had some seedlings in a knee high one for a few weeks) and they only really did any growing in November and then grew more quickly in December.  What is the difference in the greenhouse and the ambient temp overnight?

Just a reminder you can grow however many plants the seeds allow but you have to nominate the plant for the comp before the first harvest.

Robisburning said:

Wow, I was not expecting that.  Without sounding like a broken record your grow this year has been a thing of beauty.  I hope the change works out well for you.

I am surprised to see as much hydro action planned. Deerdog, I grew without a glass house this year (well I had some seedlings in a knee high one for a few weeks) and they only really did any growing in November and then grew more quickly in December.  What is the difference in the greenhouse and the ambient temp overnight?

Just a reminder you can grow however many plants the seeds allow but you have to nominate the plant for the comp before the first harvest.
Dont get me wrong,the plants are looking good but with these temps and plants this big they are thirsty beasts plus iIam fertilizing with each watering so thats a lot of mixing and fluffing around.
Its also hard to know with the 160 and 110 L pots when to water and I think I have watered less that i should have thinking that there was more moister there.
Dunno,have learnt a lot this year so I may do 1 or 2 in soil but I think hydro once dialed in will be a lot less hassle.  :)

Robisburning said:
Deerdog, I grew without a glass house this year (well I had some seedlings in a knee high one for a few weeks) and they only really did any growing in November and then grew more quickly in December.  What is the difference in the greenhouse and the ambient temp overnight?

Both of mine are Polycarbonate, but one is all soil with a working pit as a walkway and the other has a canvas floor with everything in bags. Typically the all soil house will be between 1-2 degrees above ambient at sun up while the bag/pot house will be 3-4 degrees above ambient.

Some notable differences are that the bag house grows way better early season, possibly due to high soil temperature, the canvas floor and mix of pb40's and grow bags really catch the sun and turn it into heat.
The "reverse raised bed" house was slow to start, governed by I believe soil temperature. The house its self turns a lot of sunlight in to heat, but hardly makes a dent on ground temprature as the surrounding ground quickly dissipates the heat that the soil has collected overnight.
But later in the season, ie, now, the soil house (house #1) starts overtaking house #2.
Possibly due to many reasons, deep roots, more soil, consistant ground temps, access to moisture always etc.

I'll flick a few pics up in the other kiwi thread shortly.

I will go undercurrent rdwc indoor under 600w mh then 600w hps have a 60 litre per min air pump that i worry will piss off the neighbours as its like 80 Decibels (electro magnetic pump) Will do a soil grow also to compare with a 100ltr container which is taller than it is wide so iam not sure how well roots will penetrate lower levels, Have yet to assemble my greenhouse which is a cheap chinese one with the f*%king worst instructions you have ever seen! haha it hurts my head just looking at it, have to prep the location i have planned to build it first before i can wack it up.

Back