• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Let's Make Ceviche!

Ceviche is very easy to make.  At best it's an uncomplicated dish of fish and assorted seafood mixed with your choice of compliments all marinated in citrus juice.  Any seafood can be used to make ceviche, just make sure that it's fresh as can be.  

Today we're making halibut and shrimp ceviche. :)

acu51u.jpg

Ingredients:

1 lb halibut filet
1 lb raw shrimp
1/2 cup onion - diced (1/2 a medium)
1/2 cup tomato - diced (1 small roma)
1 medium jalapeno - diced
1 medium thai pepper - diced
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
juice of 6 limes

Directions:

Skin, bone and dice the fish into roughly half inch pieces.  Peel the shrimp and cut into thirds.  Dice up the tomato, onion and peppers.  Add everything to a stainless or glass bowl and then pour in the lime juice.  Stir to combine and add the cilantro.  Season to taste with salt and a bit of pepper powder it you'd like.  That's it!

The fish & shrimp:

14icqwg.jpg

Other ingredients:

ebeont.jpg

Juicing the limes! 

rm5j13.jpg

All mixed up:

ohtmbp.jpg

I usually let it sit a couple hours so the seafood cooks and the flavors marry.  Here's the dish plated:

2lwg3p.jpg

It's my summer app to eat outdoors, I like it better than chips and salsa. It's very simple but in ways it is also elegant or sophisticated. On a hot summer day with margs or beer, and the smoker going, oh yeah... ceviche time....

grantmichaels said:
It was a conceptual/mental hurdle for me ...

That's over now, and the ingredients are some of my favorites ...

It's likely to become a regular part of my diet ...

And yes, it went well w/ beer! =)
If i could source the seafood required year round it would be on my plate at least 5 times a week with sushi as a close 2nd. 

I plan to get 30 to 50 pounds of IQF NC shrimp this year forcing me to get a new freezer :) 

Red snapper is a good fish for it btw... at least for me... and you can eat the shizz out of ceviche with chips, so refreshing. Have a bowl of fresh guac and alternate with the chips...

Post yours up soon.

My buddies fb yesterday ... taunting me w/ my a couple of my personal favorite, Redfish ... I think the global term for those would be Red Drum ...

12523189_10208698324363806_624028136416597590_n.jpg

And they weren't the only one's, another friend posted a monster ...

They like to fuck w/ me because I won't wake up early to go, LOL ...

The Hot Pepper said:
Post yours up soon.

It's coming this weekend, probably a couple of times ...

Shipt shopper just took my order, delivery window is 4-5PM ...

I have shrimp, seabass, and halibut, and actually, I have some other fish in the freezer too ...

Including the oily one ... escolar or whatever ...

I think I have some black cod (sp? if I recall) ... it's a common one for sushi ...

Thegreenchilemonster said:
If you have an extra spot in your pepper garden this year, I would highly recommend growing aji limo. It the staple pepper used in Peruvian ceviche. It's a Chinense, with a ridiculously good heat and flavor profile. Perfect for ceviche!

I probably have seeds for it in the Lindberg series, but I'll check ...

I know I liked the Aji Pineapple last year ... VERY MUCH ...

grantmichaels said:

I probably have seeds for it in the Lindberg series, but I'll check ...

I know I liked the Aji Pineapple last year ... VERY MUCH ...
Very similar to that, you will see it called the Lemon Drop as well. I always grow two or three plants, makes AMAZING powder!

The Limo is not the lemon drop BTW. The lemon drop is a Baccatum. The limo is a Chinense. There was a naming issue with the chiles when they first started coming to the states from Peru. The Peruvians call their pepper the aji Limo, as in aji from lima, peru. It is a landrace for chinense from Lima.

I gave the rest of my Aji Limo seeds to GIP, otherwise I would hook you up. I have 2 big plants that are OW right now, and should be pumping out pods again by April. I can send you some seeds then, if you don't already have them. I got my seeds from a Peruvian vendor a couple of years ago. The only other vendor that I have seen with legit aji limo is the Hippie Seed Company.

The only time I have seen them sold in the states was a few months back, at my local international market. Here is a pic of the bag.

Attachments

• 20151014_213741.jpg
    20151014_213741.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 33
Yes I know that and agree, having eaten them while in South America I know the differences but still stand behind many switch the names. :)

btw

There is so much misinformation all over and from my taste buds I do not recall it being C. chinense

Current Facts
Also known as Lemon Drop chile and Hot Lemon chile the Aji Limo chile pepper is botanically a part of Capsicum chinense. An heirloom variety chile pepper the name "aji" is a common term for the word pepper in South America. Throughout the years the Aji Limo chile has been mistakenly sold under the name Limon in many seeds catalogs in the United States. This name came about as a result of the peppers unique citron flavor and appearance which is similar to that of a pepper that is part of Capsicum baccatum, the Aji Amarillo or Aji Limon chile pepper. 

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Aji_Limo_Chile_Peppers_6675.php

^^^

Take that with a grain of salt

Thegreenchilemonster said:
The Limo is not the lemon drop BTW. The lemon drop is a Baccatum. The limo is a Chinense. There was a naming issue with the chiles when they first started coming to the states from Peru. The Peruvians call their pepper the aji Limo, as in aji from lima, peru. It is a landrace for chinense from Lima.

I gave the rest of my Aji Limo seeds to GIP, otherwise I would hook you up. I have 2 big plants that are OW right now, and should be pumping out pods again by April. I can send you some seeds then, if you don't already have them. I got my seeds from a Peruvian vendor a couple of years ago. The only other vendor that I have seen with legit aji limo is the Hippie Seed Company.

The only time I have seen them sold in the states was a few months back, at my local international market. Here is a pic of the bag.

I can grow perennially here, and so if we remember in the future, I'll happily take you up on your offer :cheers:

I'm sure you know infinitely more about peppers than I do JHP, I'm not trying to start any type of controversy. I only really know a lot about Peruvian and New Mexican chiles.

I have a lot of Peruvian friends, employees, neighbors, bosses, etc., and have been cooking Peruvian for a long time. I've given out aji limo clones from my plants to local Peruvian restaurant owners, because you can almost never really find the real thing in the States, and they need to make authentic ceviche.

The Limo flower is definitely a Chinense, pure white. It doesn't have the typical golden ring like the amarillo, lemon drop, and pineapple have. Like I said, the aji limo is a landrace, it just refers to a Chinense from Lima, Peru. I've seen the aji arnaucho called an aji limo as well, which is also a Chinense from Lima. The arnaucho is usually a bit shorter and fatter compared to a standard aji limo, but can also turn purple, compared to the usual yellow or red aji limo.

There is an always pure yellow ripe version of the aji limo, which is called the aji Mochero. Also a Chinense, but since it is from Moche, Peru, they call it an aji mochero.

Back