• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Let's Make Ceviche!

Ceviche is very easy to make.  At best it's an uncomplicated dish of fish and assorted seafood mixed with your choice of compliments all marinated in citrus juice.  Any seafood can be used to make ceviche, just make sure that it's fresh as can be.  

Today we're making halibut and shrimp ceviche. :)

acu51u.jpg

Ingredients:

1 lb halibut filet
1 lb raw shrimp
1/2 cup onion - diced (1/2 a medium)
1/2 cup tomato - diced (1 small roma)
1 medium jalapeno - diced
1 medium thai pepper - diced
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
juice of 6 limes

Directions:

Skin, bone and dice the fish into roughly half inch pieces.  Peel the shrimp and cut into thirds.  Dice up the tomato, onion and peppers.  Add everything to a stainless or glass bowl and then pour in the lime juice.  Stir to combine and add the cilantro.  Season to taste with salt and a bit of pepper powder it you'd like.  That's it!

The fish & shrimp:

14icqwg.jpg

Other ingredients:

ebeont.jpg

Juicing the limes! 

rm5j13.jpg

All mixed up:

ohtmbp.jpg

I usually let it sit a couple hours so the seafood cooks and the flavors marry.  Here's the dish plated:

2lwg3p.jpg

Malarky said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUxN4sH9KSw
This is the ceviche guru who Thegreenchilemonster follows...Jose Castillo
I wish i could understand spanish spoken that fast! Youtube needs slow-mo :confused:

ps I love the Rocoto Slice at the end!
Great video, thanks for sharing! I use this exact recipe when I make ceviche. I've eaten his ceviche fresh right after he made it, and it's the best I've ever had! The key is to salt the fish first to draw out some liquid, that way when the lime juice hits it, the fish absorbs the juice, and "cooks" it instantly. Also, keeping the ceviche as cold as possible really makes it taste fresher.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Also, keeping the ceviche as cold as possible really makes it taste fresher.

Oh yeah, there's also a really nice contrast of cold ceviche and warm tortilla chips from the fryer. Mmmmmmmm!

LOL so Youtube does have slow-mo, you can slow the video and audio down. It even has subtitles. and you can chose what language your subtitles are in! Pretty cool. the english captions are pretty bad...even the spanish ones aren't great.

so i'm still stuck lol

So I watched this show about leche de tigre with Gaston Acurio, and started craving leche de tigre badly. I decided to follow his recipe for leche de tigre to a T when I made ceviche last night.

I used all of the ingredients he uses, except the celery leaf, because all of the celery at the store had the leaves cut off already.

The end result was amazing. I sliced up some aji oro to top it, and tossed in some roasted canchitas.

Crunhiness offsets the texture of ceviche perfectly. I'm all about peruvian style canchitas, which are toasted cancha corn. Almost like corn nuts. They sell bags dried for like $2 at the local international market. A little oil, a pan and some salt can turn them into delicious texture bombs for ceviche.

Yes, the corn nuts are a must. But also for me tortilla chips are a must... which you won't find at Pervian joints lol, but I like to "chip and dip" my ceviche, it's so damn good!

The Hot Pepper said:
Yes, the corn nuts are a must. But also for me tortilla chips are a must... which you won't find at Pervian joints lol, but I like to "chip and dip" my ceviche, it's so damn good!
I'm down with the tortilla chips too, but that is 100% a Mexican thing for ceviche. Peruvians make the best ceviche IMO, but I think a chip scoop option for the fish, leche de tigre, and onions would be a perfect cross collab between their styles.

Back