• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Let's Make Ceviche!

Ceviche is very easy to make.  At best it's an uncomplicated dish of fish and assorted seafood mixed with your choice of compliments all marinated in citrus juice.  Any seafood can be used to make ceviche, just make sure that it's fresh as can be.  

Today we're making halibut and shrimp ceviche. :)

acu51u.jpg

Ingredients:

1 lb halibut filet
1 lb raw shrimp
1/2 cup onion - diced (1/2 a medium)
1/2 cup tomato - diced (1 small roma)
1 medium jalapeno - diced
1 medium thai pepper - diced
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
juice of 6 limes

Directions:

Skin, bone and dice the fish into roughly half inch pieces.  Peel the shrimp and cut into thirds.  Dice up the tomato, onion and peppers.  Add everything to a stainless or glass bowl and then pour in the lime juice.  Stir to combine and add the cilantro.  Season to taste with salt and a bit of pepper powder it you'd like.  That's it!

The fish & shrimp:

14icqwg.jpg

Other ingredients:

ebeont.jpg

Juicing the limes! 

rm5j13.jpg

All mixed up:

ohtmbp.jpg

I usually let it sit a couple hours so the seafood cooks and the flavors marry.  Here's the dish plated:

2lwg3p.jpg

hey guys sorry to raise this thread from the dead...
Here in the midwest access to good fresh fish/shrimp is lacking. 
can I safely get away with using frozen bagged shrimp?
are frozen fish fillets at the grocery store ok to use? I get a little nervous about the "fresh fish" fillets in the cooler.
anybody make cerviche with other nonsaltwater fish? 

Use your nose, the nose knows.
Check were their from, most of the frozen stuff here is from the Pacific, I wouldn't touch that stuff no matter what. My opinion :)

Malarky said:

Couple of things ...

1) Something having been frozen is a good 1st step towards being increasingly microbiologically safe, and there's fish that have worms you want to have been frozen (incl, I think, halibut and cod etc) ...
2) Almost all shrimp are actually frozen right where they are fished, on the boats, whether or not they've been defrosted for you when you buy them ...

grantmichaels said:

Couple of things ...

1) Something having been frozen is a good 1st step towards being increasingly microbiologically safe, and there's fish that have worms you want to have been frozen (incl, I think, halibut and cod etc) ...
2) Almost all shrimp are actually frozen right where they are fished, on the boats, whether or not they've been defrosted for you when you buy them ...

2) Depends on the shrimping operation, NC they are straight from boat to your table in a day if you know the right people, on ice yes, frozen no.

Malarky said:

Fresh, never-frozen shrimp are available here too, but the if I am going to consume them uncooked, I'm happy if they've been frozen once ..

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I attended a ceviche class taught by Jose del Castillo last summer in D.C. He is the guy in this video above at minute 1:16. I make my ceviche exactly the way he taught in the class, and it comes out perfect every time. Aji Limo, limes, red onion, fish, and salt are the only ingredients you need to make amazing ceviche.

Previously I had expiremented making a bunch of different leche de tigres from recipes of other Peruvian chefs and Peruvian friends. Ever since taking that class last year, I cut out all of the extra stuff, and make it exactly like Jose del Castillo. I do throw in some culantro(recao) when I make it, but other than that, I follow his recipe to a T.

I make leche de tigre sometimes while making ceviche, but I spike it with pisco, and put it in a glass to drink as a spicy/sour cocktail. I don't mix it with my ceviche.
Would you be willing to share your Jose del Castillo method?  ;)

Malarky said:
hey guys sorry to raise this thread from the dead...
are frozen fish fillets at the grocery store ok to use? I get a little nervous about the "fresh fish" fillets in the cooler.
anybody make cerviche with other nonsaltwater fish? 

Other than shrimp or scallops I personally would never use frozen fish. Also there is nothing wrong with using fresh water fish IMO. You should be able to catch or buy fresh trout, crappie, perch locally I would think. Stick with the mild tasting firmer meat fish.

Oh and don't use catfish IMO.

grantmichaels said:

Couple of things ...

I have to disagree on the halibut and cod from the north pacific. Any worms or parasites are operating in temps well below 60f. If and when they are introduced to a body at 98.6f they are dead as a door knob. Its the warm water species down by you that scare me the most with parasites actually.

grantmichaels said:
I did decent research when I was checking out ceviche, but it was a while ago, so I can't easily repost the source ...

The cod was worst than the halibut, but the halibut was indeed tied to some parasite activity as well ...

I'm not gonna link the whole page but

This from Seafood Health Facts. org

Note where it says most parasites cant adapt to a human host.

Many consumers prefer the delicate flavor and texture of uncooked fish found in sushi and sashimi (thin slices of raw finfish) dishes. But there should be caution in consuming raw fish because some species of fish can contain these harmful worms. Eating raw, lightly cured, or insufficiently cooked infected fish can transfer the live worms to humans. Most of these parasites cannot adapt to human hosts. Often, if an infected fish is eaten, the parasites may be digested with no ill effects. Adequate freezing or cooking fish will kill any parasites that may be present. Raw fish (such as sushi or sashimi) or foods made with raw fish (such as ceviche) are more likely to contain parasites or bacteria than foods made from cooked fish, so it's important to cook fish thoroughly (at least 145°F for 15 seconds) or use commercially frozen seafood in raw dishes.

They may have them but they cant survive human body temps in most cases.

Is there some level of risk? Yea, but its minute depending on species and quality of fish.

Fukishima radiation worries me more than parasites to be honest.

Hey, I like to live on the edge and will keep eating ceviche and especially raw yellowfin tuna til the FDA or CDFW say to stop.

That sounds about right ... and it triggered my memory a little bit ...

I believe that the difference is that black cod has a risk for a worm which can adapt, and that the most likely problem from halibut would be moderately bad diarrhea ...

hogleg said:

I have to disagree on the halibut and cod from the north pacific. Any worms or parasites are operating in temps well below 60f. If and when they are introduced to a body at 98.6f they are dead as a door knob. Its the warm water species down by you that scare me the most with parasites actually.

and our local stripers.

Back