• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

/\  nice stuff, John.

I only have two pods (and one is only the size of a grape) on one of my plants.   I moved this plant into the sun after reading your post about having yours in the sun. As I'm only a out 75 miles west of you I figure maybe I can approach the master's growing conditions at least a little!

Hopefully I'll be posting a pic of my pretty manzano in a few weeks. 

cone9 said:
/\  nice stuff, John.

I only have two pods (and one is only the size of a grape) on one of my plants.   I moved this plant into the sun after reading your post about having yours in the sun. As I'm only a out 75 miles west of you I figure maybe I can approach the master's growing conditions at least a little!

Hopefully I'll be posting a pic of my pretty manzano in a few weeks.
I tried a couple different varieties in full shade again this year with less than stellar production. 7' wide plants with little fruit. These plants were in the ground and if I had 10 months of growing season it would work but not around here.

The full sun plants in the smaller pots are still putting out pods and flowering,never stopped really. Not big apple sized pods,but tons of them. That harvest is from 3 plants and I am getting close to that per week from those plants.

We had good weather for pubes in W.Pa this year,not very good for anything else. Just finally started hitting 80° outside.

cone9 said:
The leaves on all three of my Manzano plants look like this:

I effects the smaller, younger leaves.

Any ideas why?
Nothing like this is happening to my other pepper plants.

I have little experience on this, but my guesses in order.

1. mites(you will need a magnifying glass to confirm)
2. aphids, you would have probably noticed them.
3. an insecticide
4. bad genes
5. I got nuthin'

We had a spotty frost  a couple weeks ago. It nipped a some sweet peppers, but didn't get to the manzanos

Over the last couple months they've mostly laid down into a tangled sprawl. 
and I've just left them be.

I've noticed a few turning, but we've got a freeze, maybe even flurries coming this weekend so I thought I'd better gather them up today.

I was surprised so this many had ripen -or nearly so.
One of the four field plants was responsible for most of those.

One of the potted plants grown in the shade more or less had a few ripe ones too. It's companion, got tall and set fruit but only a few late ones ripened.

This is the sum of it, five plants contributing.
They had a good season, hardly any days over 90, ample rain after a dry-ish spring.
I may try to OW one if the frostboogers don't get 'em before I get back in town.
Also may start some seeds next week to see if I can get a more mature plant in the ground next spring.
These plants were sprouted mid-January.

Thanks for reading.

I'm a bit late to the ripening party but glad to finally attend.

This is the first/only pod to ripen.  You can see another just below that is nearly the size but still very green.  The plant is loaded with pods now but I don't know if it is feasible to get them to ripen indoors.  I may have to try.

This is the plant from #237 being overwintered.  It has been in the garage since the cold came on.  It had dropped a lot of leaves but many still appared in fair condition.  I have kept the soil moist and the peppers on the plant remained firm.  A couple weeks ago I noticed the largest pod was turning a bit yellow.  I felt it, as I assumed it was rotting, but it was firm and has continued ripening.  I cleaned up the plant and gave it a bit of a pruning.  It will be in my basement from now on (where I'll soon be starting plants for this season).  I'll give it some light from the grow lamps I use for the new plants.

I'm quite excited to perhaps have a few Manzano peppers to ripe yet this winter.

The full monty:

A few weeks ago, this pod was just as green as the one to the left.

There are quite  few pos on the plant as you may see in this pic.  Most are pretty small but all are firm. dark green and appear healthy.

Once a manzano turns color (no green left on the pod) is it completely ripe or do you choose to leave it on the plant a while longer to further ripen?
If so, how long?  What determines (aside from impatience) when you decide it is time?

Back