• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

Here are my two ladies looking good. Hope these will do something this fall or early next spring.

Both are the same red manzano, from market pods last year. Some variation tho..

My interest came from Costa Rican red, the pods looked like those. The only ones I ever found at the Mexican market. I don't think Mexico grows the red?

Pics of the pods.

-Walt

FreeportBum said:
Beast from the east getting bigger, 20 gal pot getting smaller  :party: Can of Heady Topper for size reference.  My manzanos that I put in the ground are yet to set a pod, glad I kept the beast in a pot.  thanks pson
IMG_1982_zps9bfef603.jpg
BOOYAKA!!

Fine specimen there. You made the proper decision with the container. Not only can you move it around now,you will be able to tuck it against the house or under a shelter if any early frost hits.

An early start date and a large container really did the trick. I don't have the room to start that early. This year I wanted to try and let a few plants get rootbound and force them to set pods. It seems like it worked. My only concern was the plants staying too small to support the pods.

My intitial goal was to keep them tight in a 1 gallon pot and then another small pot up into 2 1/2 gallon pots and keep them tight again until they (hopefully) set fruit. Now hopefully a jump to 10 gallon and fert change will make them put on the size they need to hold the pods.

End goal is to be able to start late february and harvest late August and be done with it. Fingers crossed.

Success at last.  I have been watching my Rocoto's and a few days back, they started to show signs of color.  Well it only took 3-4 days and they got to the point that I had to pick one

Here are the three that are showing color
IMAG0646_zps7d2cf214.jpg

And here is the one I picked

IMAG0666_zpsb6dd8016.jpg

And here it is cut in half.  The taste was great and I can imagine this will be great in a Salsa

IMAG0673_zpsedbc2451.jpg

I am now looking forward to seeing what the differences are between this plant and the Manzanos I am growing.  They are still very green, so it will be a while.

bpwilly said:
Success at last.  I have been watching my Rocoto's and a few days back, they started to show signs of color.  Well it only took 3-4 days and they got to the point that I had to pick one

Here are the three that are showing color
IMAG0646_zps7d2cf214.jpg

And here is the one I picked

IMAG0666_zpsb6dd8016.jpg

And here it is cut in half.  The taste was great and I can imagine this will be great in a Salsa

IMAG0673_zpsedbc2451.jpg

I am now looking forward to seeing what the differences are between this plant and the Manzanos I am growing.  They are still very green, so it will be a while.

Friggen stellar my friend!!!!!

Mine are podding up well now.  I am just hopeful that they have enough time to ripen by the middle of October.

Here is one of the pics.  I have already had a ripe pod and I have a couple bigger pods.  But all over the plants the pods are coming.
07272014Mazano1.jpg

HillBilly Jeff
This is my first time growing these so I do not have much to go on, but my first Rocoto podded up the first week of June, so it has taken it 2 months to get from a pea size to ripe.   If that is normal, then Oct should be doable (I hope)

I think these can take cooler weather so I am hoping they will outlast my other pepper plants, plus based on what I have seen on this list, I have to try to over winter one of these at least.

I'm going to try and OW one of mine. I have two in containers that are in a fairly shady area. They are growning much more slowly than my 4 field plants

4rZJ3Ccl.jpg

They have a few pod on the limbs that set flowers in pots. Seeds were started in early January.
They are just now really starting to flower. Here is a close up.

sL6gvJGl.jpg

Mid-October is our average frost. It'd be nice to think a good portion of blooms here will make ripe pods, but that seem to pod in slow motion.

Yesterday I crawled on the ground and snaggedone of six or so pods that appeared and felt ripe, but on tasting, they still need some time I think.

Je44RYxl.jpg

Despite a little green twang it was a great tasting pepper. I saved the core to see if the seed might possible become viable.
Regardless, I hope to let a couple go dead-ripe just to be sure. So remind me this fall if you want seed. Early start makes a different.

Finally got my first orange Manzano tonight, what a great pepper! Had tons of flavor and still packed some heat. Looking forward to getting more, may have to try and OW this guy!

I'd love to get a hold of some red and yellow Manzano seeds, anybody know where I can buy some?

Finally got my first orange Manzano tonight, what a great pepper! Had tons of flavor and still packed some heat. Looking forward to getting more, may have to try and OW this guy!

I'd love to get a hold of some red and yellow Manzano seeds, anybody know where I can buy some?

Some peeps here might be able to help out. Otherwise the best source to get them would be Semillas La Palma. Great germ rates and great variety all in one place.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Some peeps here might be able to help out. Otherwise the best source to get them would be Semillas La Palma. Great germ rates and great variety all in one place.

-Walt
Thanks Walt! I took a look at the site and didn't see Manzano's though. I saw multiple rocotos, but am under the impression those are different than Manzano's. They are similar and I may have to go with those if i can't find Manzano.

My manzanos have produced a flush. I've let them hang as long as possible to insure seed viablity. Some even got a bit over ripe.
My field plants get good morning sun until a little after mid-day. Our temps for summer are typically Lows in the 60s highs in the 80s. In the recent past years 90s would be more common. Rainfall has been good except spring was dry.

NbFHUL2l.jpg

The tallest plant is about 6'
The limbs that developed as a potted plant have produced my only ripe pods. The new limbs since plant-out are setting lots of fruit but it will have to hump it to ripen by a typical early-mid Oct frost. I plant to OW 2 plants.

My two house plants get only a few hours of direct sun since we live in the woods.

B2EtZ8Il.jpg

j7wKu3vl.jpg

They are healthy, just not enough sunshine to perform, I think.

eN2O0SUl.jpg

NUFPvhql.jpg

bGmK9dMl.jpg

I crushed them in the mocajete, but finished them with an immersion blender.
Added just a sliver of garlic, salt, a cap of oil and vinegar, and a drop of honey ( a pinch of sugar would have been better).
This would be good on a fish taco.

schrade82 said:

PM me if you want seeds.

Mine came from Smokemaster marked as yellow/orange manzano.
I say plant these in a deep 3" pot and move to a gallon or better at about 2 months old. Sow in early to mid fall for a mid-May plant out. That's what I intend to try this year.

Thanks for reading

/\  Beautiful color in those pods, JJJessee!   My manzano seed also came from smokemaster (along with several other varieties I'm growing - Mike's amazingly generous with his extensive seed collection).  I only have one pod set so far.  I hope it ripens to yellow.  In fact, I just hope it ripens!

I HAVE TWO PODS!
I've been watching the larger one since I first saw it a couple weeks ago.  The other day I noticed the second pod.  Both are on the same plant.  The other two plants still have no pods that I can find.  

my camera prefers to focus on foliage.
This is the larger pod as it looked two weeks ago when I first saw it.

The leaves on all three of my Manzano plants look like this:

I effects the smaller, younger leaves.

Any ideas why?
Nothing like this is happening to my other pepper plants.

Back