• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

cone9 said:
Once a manzano turns color (no green left on the pod) is it completely ripe or do you choose to leave it on the plant a while longer to further ripen?
If so, how long?  What determines (aside from impatience) when you decide it is time?

If you wait too long they will rot. I leave them on for a couple days or a week then I pick them. Before the frost, I had to pull a ton of green ones but no biggie.
2014-12-12183139.jpg
20141231_142223.jpg
20141215_095212.jpg
20141214_1700391.jpg
20141202_141121.jpg
20141127_160054.jpg
20141127_160009.jpg
20141018_1417052.jpg
20141017_173805.jpg

Harvest time.

This pepper, the second off this plant, was much hotter than the first.  It did, however, ripen under much different conditions.

Some close up pics for fun.

There is a lot of growth on the plant since I brought it in to the basement.  I may need to do some pruning to keep it in check as it will be late April before I can move it back outdoors and even then I'll need to bring it in for the night to be safe most o the time.

There is one more ripe pod on the plant (as seen in the earlier pic) and one green one still in nice shape.  Maybe it will ripen as well.

My germination rates are slow and not all that good for the Manzanos I have planted. Is this common? Last year I grew orange Manzanos for the first time and don't remember having this trouble. Any thoughts?

schrade82 said:
My germination rates are slow and not all that good for the Manzanos I have planted. Is this common? Last year I grew orange Manzanos for the first time and don't remember having this trouble. Any thoughts?

Mine are nearly 90% using regular potting soil in a dome with a heat mat.

schrade82 said:
Suspicion usually falls on seeds from pods not fully ripened even thought the color change was complete.
I let my yellow/orange pods hang almost 2 weeks after they were completely yellow until frost caught me.
This plant is in a 5" pot just shy of 2 months from hatching.

Germination time was only 11 days. The seed were less than 90 days old.

Your Manzano grow is looking great!

Thanks, Paul. Just trying figure out the best way to "contain" them now. I've move the big one to my tallest shelf and if has 4" of so of headroom. And since it has forked, it's upward inclination is lessened, but I want to put it in a bigger container in a few weeks. I may rig some auxiliary lighting on the side. 

Back