• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

I will try to make time and post some of my plants this year,I have 10 vatieties or so I just sowed.

15 gallons worked fine for me last season. I grew a brown rocoto in a 1 gallon pot also,it put out a dozen pods. If you look at where these plants originated, a 12 hour light schedule might be a big key. I know a lot of folks may disagree with that. Temperatures in the USA are lower in spring and fall,but the light cycle is close to 12 hours also,the same as it is in the pubescens region all year.

Last year I didn't know a manzano from a manhole cover.
But I've got handful started  from Smokemaster's Yellow/Orange stash this year.
My orange from Shane via Rick haven't popped yet.

These are about my best 3 and about 3+ weeks.

I'll put 2 on the end of the garden that gets afternoon shade early, and two in containers -maybe a 55gal barrel half and something a bit smaller.

This could be a fair area for the pepper since normally, we don't get lots of 90°+ weather, and due to elevation, the humidity is moderate.
But the season is not especially long -mid-May to mid-October, so a second year plant is where I'm hoping to make a bigger score.

I read somewhere that they used a trellis but that was out in CA where I believe they grew them year round.

How much potting mix will I need for a 20 gal tote lol.  That plant would be a beast to try to bring indoors for a winter grow!!!  But I am getting ahead of myself.  Once my gal pots come in I will pot up all three of my plants and if I need to, I will pot them up again to 3 gal before plant out.  I want to give these every chance in the world to make pods this season for me.  Even if it is just a few pods.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I read somewhere that they used a trellis but that was out in CA where I believe they grew them year round.

How much potting mix will I need for a 20 gal tote lol.  That plant would be a beast to try to bring indoors for a winter grow!!!  But I am getting ahead of myself.  Once my gal pots come in I will pot up all three of my plants and if I need to, I will pot them up again to 3 gal before plant out.  I want to give these every chance in the world to make pods this season for me.  Even if it is just a few pods.

20 gallons converts to 2.67 cu feet. Since you wouldn't need it filled to the very top, Id say about 2.5 should do the trick with a little to spare..

jedisushi06 said:
I'm new to these also, so are rocotos and manzanos the same? I'm growing a rocoto inca from spicegeist and I just planted done yellow and red manzano seeds.
Same species, different names in different countries. Primarily, Manzanos (Mexico)/Rocotos (Peru)/Locotos (Bolivia) are still landrace varieties, so I feel it`s importent to keep track of where they come from. They are probably about the same stage as C.chinense was in 1975. 

Sweet thanks Nigel. I may hit u up after this season for some of those varieties your growing. Looking forward to seeing how yours come out this year

From what I was able to find.

Cultivars include

Canario yellow

Manzano red

Peron pear-shaped

Rocoto Longo which was developed in the Canary Islands

Not sure if that means there are no manzano colors other than red.  Kind of doubt it.  I always thought a manzano was a type of Rocoto.  The Locoto is just a Rocoto in a different language.  Just another thing to be confusing.

So who has the oldest manzano or rocoto plant?  They say they can live a long time so I am interested in seeing how long I can keep mine going.

jedisushi06 said:
Sweet thanks Nigel. I may hit u up after this season for some of those varieties your growing. Looking forward to seeing how yours come out this year
No worries, I`ve had very good germination so far. Only waiting for 3 varieties to pop.

HillBilly Jeff said:

So who has the oldest manzano or rocoto plant?  They say they can live a long time so I am interested in seeing how long I can keep mine going.

Unless someone unseats me, I am going to claim the prize with two plants started in sometime in Sept 2012. I've heard they can live over 10 years and I plan to test that theory.

Who has some older?

10/12/13- top right plant
20131021_203215.jpg

A couple of weeks ago.

20140208_174847.jpg

I'm thinking about trying to grow mine through the winter without cutting it back.  The one from the container that is.  I think I can find a space for it in the dining room or living room in front of the big window.

Back