• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

Jem936 said:
How long did germination take for the Manzanos? I plan on planting some next month.
They can be tricky...anywhere from a week to a month. They take a long time to set pods and forever to ripen. You live in a frost free zone I think, so you should still be okay, but I would start them soon.

stc3248 said:
They can be tricky...anywhere from a week to a month. They take a long time to set pods and forever to ripen. You live in a frost free zone I think, so you should still be okay, but I would start them soon.
Thanks I will defiantly wait till it gets a bit warmer.

GA Growhead said:
I have two plants going Jeff.
They are all very beautiful. I have six different pubescens and they are all slightly different in color, hairiness. and leave shape. I enjoy looking at the them.

Well if you have some extra you'd like to sell or trade, I would be more than happy to give them a try.

So jealous!

Have been wanting to grow these for years! But seeds are very scares here in South Africa. Manage to find some Rocoto seeds (10) this year, and 3 germinated. And of those 3 the first one got its first fruit :-) ​So looking forward to tasting these.

On my to grow list is the Manzano red and yellow....

Also I agree, they seem to like more shaded than full sun.

Good job.
D

fantastic pics P-son!

Here's a few of my oldest Manzano's, seeds from Rick, via plant from Shane.

421.JPG

Two are forking. can't wait for the purple flowers!
422.JPG

423.JPG

As for my experiences germing pubes. 1 Red Rocotto out of 10 seeds, it damped off :tear: First batch of seeds from Rick went 3/20, Scarecrw sent me some, those went 5/6 and popped really fast, and he said none he planted came up. Jamison's went 3/6, one never got past coties, they germed well too.

I don't know what makes some seeds do better? I know Rick made sure he let the pods mature. I think they are just hard to get going. AND if you have any going, Three cheers!

12804902324_0df7f5db44_o.jpg

:high: :high: :high:

Dew those are sexy plants,nice flat green color. Knock on wood,I haven't had any issues germinating C.pubescens. I was 38 of 40 this year. What did your seed look like? They should look like Yogi Berras ears only brown/black. :lol: They don't always produce a lot of pollen so that could be an issue,even with the fruit being 100% ripe.

Semillas.de is probably the best place to get pubescen seeds. He has a great list and the germ rates are unmatched.

Back