• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

stc3248 said:
Well...y'all went and made me join in. I have grown Manzanos for the past three seasons out here in Socal and they do very well. I didn't start any this season because I promised the wife a small grow, but when this was at the nursery today...
f4efaID.jpg

Who could blame me??? First time growing a Rocoto or a Red pube...all of mine in the past have been Orange or Yellow Manzanos. I have never grown peppers in this particular spot either, but it should be able to overwinter in the ground here on the south side of my house.

HooT. Shane is in da house.

f4efaID.jpg

Yesterday...

mMQ2mo4.jpg

Today...  :mope:

In 4 seasons growing at this house, I have never had a plant hit like this. Looks to be a rabbit, but I have never seen one in my yard. It will come back from the nodes, but damn!!!

stc3248 said:
f4efaID.jpg

Yesterday...

mMQ2mo4.jpg

In 4 seasons growing at this house, I have never had a plant hit like this. Looks to be a rabbit, but I have never seen one in my yard. It will come back from the nodes, but damn!!!

did you throw some pepper powder on it?

It is like SoCal in the North Atlantic. I am really amazed at how many pods are sticking to my plants,very little flower drop. I have plants that are still in 1 gallon pots that are putting pods out daily.
stc3248 said:
f4efaID.jpg

Yesterday...

mMQ2mo4.jpg

Unfortunate brother. I will have plenty to share in a couple months.

chsy83 said:

did you throw some pepper powder on it?
Sure did...it whatever hit it last night comes back tonight to finish the job, it'll be sorry!

Pr0digal_son said:
It is like SoCal in the North Atlantic. I am really amazed at how many pods are sticking to my plants,very little flower drop. I have plants that are still in 1 gallon pots that are putting pods out daily.

Unfortunate brother. I will have plenty to share in a couple months.
Yeah...was a little late in my season for Pubes, but this one had a shot. I may go back and grab another??? I don't need the pods John, I just like how they grow.

Shane, I had the same thing happen to a few sage plants I started this year. Planted 6 seedlings and I came out the next morning to find only two survived the rabbit onslaught. Weird. They never came back for the other two (which are growing nicely) and I never once saw the rabbits, just the carnage they left in their wake.

Rabbits that hit my stuff usually don't survive too long.  Had one last year that was bound determined to nest in the back garden.  It would dig under the fence, and I would fill it back in,  This went on for a week until I finally gave up and set a conibear.  First night, no more problem.

Sorry about your plant.  I would get another one and see about OW the eaten one.

Well, my plants seem to love growing where they are but not into blossoming as yet:

maybe this one will open ????

stc3248 said:
f4efaID.jpg

Yesterday...

mMQ2mo4.jpg

Thats a bummer. I used to live down the hill from you in Lakeside and the squirrels were relentless. Chewed on everything until I busted out the Pumpmaster. Man I miss SoCal growing season. Good luck.

A dang storm came through and broke some tender top growth on a couple of container Manz last Thursday, broke one tomato at the ankle, and topped another.
No Rabbits Required.

As many small branches as I saw going by the windows, it could have been worse.
No witches though and Auntie Emm stayed put.

Beautiful pictures John.  Plants and pods all look great.
How much direct sun are your plants getting?  I'm so close to the same weather as you, maybe some tweaks to my plant location and I'm get blossoms and pods as well.

Very Nice close-up shots PD-son.   I had never noticed the yellow circles on the back of the flowers before.  Must get out my magnifying glass and check out the flowers when I get home tonight.  I am sure learning a lot about lighting by looking at how you capture your pictures.  Thanks for the show!

cone9 said:
Beautiful pictures John.  Plants and pods all look great.
How much direct sun are your plants getting?  I'm so close to the same weather as you, maybe some tweaks to my plant location and I'm get blossoms and pods as well.
Full sun presently,the weather has been really mild here. That is perfect because my goal is to get as many fruit to set as possible now. In our area it is hard to get a second flush,they just take too long to ripen. Soon they will get open shade and reflected light during the afternoon. I probably give mine more sun than 90% of the growers here. My guess is it is the variety that you are growing plus ferts/soil. The plants look really good.

bpwilly said:
Very Nice close-up shots PD-son.   I had never noticed the yellow circles on the back of the flowers before.  Must get out my magnifying glass and check out the flowers when I get home tonight.  I am sure learning a lot about lighting by looking at how you capture your pictures.  Thanks for the show!
The yellow spots are nectar and they are located inside of the corolla. As it gets older the spots become more visible.Adds to the beauty of the flowers.

Lighting is important in taking decent pictures.It is rough taking photos in the afternoon.The light is harsh but if locate the plants right you can get nice shots. I would rather shoot on a cloudy day.

San Isidro with a couple blossoms.
14306704000_a4390ff8df_o.jpg

Wow, great photos here. My pubes are still pretty small but I finally have a single open flower on my yellow manzano and others are just starting to bud up. To celebrate I took a photo of the fam and my early bloomer! Fingers crossed that it sets, I'm dying to try fresh pods.

P6251154.jpg

P6251156.jpg

Back