• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Matt's 2010 Garden list/seedlings

Thanks, I am really trying this year. Last year my garden got a real late start, nothing went into the ground until July and it was all store bought plants and vegetable seeds. My kale and zucchini grew the best, radishes did ok, peppers didnt do worth a squat, but it was my first real year of gardening all on my own. I learned alot and now know I need to mix some fert and peat into the top soil I started with. I was really bad on fert last year, next to nothing and mother nature did help either with all the wind and rain, she decided to exterminate alot for me and then the road construction dusted alot of my plants with concrete dust.

Feb 12, another week and tons more growth, these plants are exception to me, since my Bhut's last year all kicked the bucket before getting half this big. I repotted the Bhuts into a better growing mix and have been repotting everything else as well. I decided I needed more room, so I am going with 10 ounce "party cups", I can fit 11 cups on each tray instead of 6 plastic squares...
Bhut Jolokias
Feb12BhutJolokia.jpg

Top 3 are Orange Habanero and bottom 3 are Caribbean Red
Feb12CaribbeansHabaneros.jpg

So here's my current "Jungle" of seedlings. Everything that is sprouted has been transplanted into good grow mix and is living happy. Total there are 78 cup-o-plants on the shelves. I still have 151 seeds germinating, should be up by next week, but I dont know where I am going to put them, maybe build another shelving unit. LOL
2-13Jungle.jpg

Update Feb 19. Another week and man have they grown again. It amazes me every week when I look through this log. I guess its easy to impress me. LOL
Bhut Jolokias
Feb19Bhuts.jpg

Caribbean Reds & Habaneros. The bottom 2 left side are Scorpions from Asias Garden
Feb19CaribbeanHabanero.jpg

Yet another week and here we still are, I only lost 1 plant, a White habanero, it was a triple leaf seedling and was looking good, then one morning it had returned itself to where it came. Anyways, here are some pics...
BhutPeterHabs.jpg

These are my Scorpions so far...
Scorpions.jpg

And my ghetto pots, cut down 2 litre pop bottles...
PepperonciniCaribbeanRedBhut.jpg

These are my Medusa peppers, they are finally starting to grow. They took FOREVER to sprout and then seemed to stop at the seedling stage to take a break from the hard work of emerging. LOL
Medusa.jpg

My Chocolate and White Habaneros are finally growing too...
ChocWhiteHabanero.jpg

I think the pep talk I gave these buggers made them realize it was time to grow also, Datil, Fatalli and Prairie Fire...
FatalliDatilPrairieFire.jpg

And finally some peppers I am growing to sell and give away, I know they are a little leggy, b ut I will pot them up and they will be fine...
IMG_0005-1.jpg

I finally gave up on the BioDomes but found a new use for them. Filled them with dirt and planted a couple more peppers that didnt make it from the first time around, nothing has appeared yet, but it was only been a week.

Thanks for looking...

Ciao Matt-

My goodness, you have a lot to be proud of if this is your second year with gardening! As for the seeds, lol, did you check out JungleRain's seed bank? Or podpiper's? Or cmpman's? Or mine? Ok, Duane's got 2 binders worth of peppers, but I have close to 1000 tomatoes. LOL! That's what happens when you hang out with other gardeners. Trust me, you're not ready for the 12 step program yet. :)

Lookin gooooooooooooood Matt,
thanks Sorellina, we'll have to a pepe = pomodoro swap soon :lol:
Sorellina said:
Ciao Matt-
My goodness, you have a lot to be proud of if this is your second year with gardening! As for the seeds, lol, did you check out JungleRain's seed bank? Or podpiper's? Or cmpman's? Or mine? Ok, Duane's got 2 binders worth of peppers, but I have close to 1000 tomatoes. LOL! That's what happens when you hang out with other gardeners. Trust me, you're not ready for the 12 step program yet. :)

Yes, looking good Matt!

Have you grown the Giant Aconcagua's before? I've got them on my wishlist for next season... just wondering if they're good growers?

I actually dont have them growing anymore, they were in my BioDome and fell victim to the fungus or whatever that overtook it, everything in it died overnight for some reason. I chucked the sponges in the garbage, washed the tray and dome out with simple green, then a bleach solution and went with just plain grow mix in the tray with new seeds, but forgot to replant the Aconcagua. LOL

Matt50680 said:
I actually dont have them growing anymore, they were in my BioDome and fell victim to the fungus or whatever that overtook it, everything in it died overnight for some reason. I chucked the sponges in the garbage, washed the tray and dome out with simple green, then a bleach solution and went with just plain grow mix in the tray with new seeds, but forgot to replant the Aconcagua. LOL

You are at the start of your season, no? Plenty of time! Hope the rest of your season goes alot smoother! :)

Yeah I have plenty of time to replant them, atleast another 8 weeks until plant out. Mother nature has been very nice to us the last few days and next weeks forecast is looking very good as well, all the snow should be gone this time next week (knock on wood). But it is Iowa and like I have always said"You dont like the weather here? Wait a minute, it might change!"

Over the last 2 years things have improved for my garden alot, the F5 tornado that devistated Parkersburg, IA missed my house by 1/4 mile then 3 weeks later a record flood took the foundation out from under my house and I had to move. The good thing though is now I am on a hill and NOWHERE near a river, so my gardening skills and luck are improving. LOL

Matt50680 said:
the F5 tornado that devistated Parkersburg, IA missed my house by 1/4 mile then 3 weeks later a record flood took the foundation out from under my house and I had to move.

:shocked:

Sounds like it was a pretty crazy place to be living!

Ya know, it never used to be, but the world is changing, I blame Obama (but this isnt the right forum for that discusion). LOL We got some bad winds last year that broke a couple tomato plants and mangled their cages. This year I am going with the heavier cages and I am getting a small roto tiller so I can prep the soil deeper in hopes of stronger root systems. I am also going to turn the garden boxes so they run east/west on the property, since all the damaging winds came from the west, maybe this will be bad though, time will tell.

But darn you Gas, now I am thinking about planting more seends. Luckily while on a light run last night I saw some Burpee 36 cell kits at Home Depot, they come 2 to a pack and I got some Brussle Sprout and Michihli Cabbage seeds too. I planted some of those last night and have the other 36 cell tray empty for now, maybe its time to give the Aconcagua another shot.

Don't blame me! You was just looking for an excuse to grow more ;)

We are on the right forum for it... admit you have a problem :P

gasificada said:
Don't blame me! You was just looking for an excuse to grow more ;)
Well i cant argue there, I really do enjoy gardening, even if it is on a small scale (space wise) indoors.

gasificada said:
We are on the right forum for it... admit you have a problem :P
Hello everyone, My name is Matt and I am a chiliaholic. I have had this problem since I was very young and...

LMAO!!! :D

Back