• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Matt's 2010 Garden list/seedlings

nice work Matt!! looking great!! my winter project is to prepare the backyard in a similar way ready for the next growing season :D i'm going to use you as inspiration :P (and AJ!! ) hope you dont mind!

Thanks everyone, i like to think I am a decent carpenter on simple stuff. LOL

Mel, they are great to use, I know of a guy that built these kinds of boxes 2 1/2 feet tall on concrete and gardens out of them, took a metric butt load of dirt to fill them though. I would like to make them 1 level higher, but lumber prices piss me off sometimes. LOL I am going to go to town weds after work and get 2 more bales of Peat and 12 more bags of compost/manure and finish it off. I am mixing some of the peat/compost/manure into my 3 other boxes I grew in last year. Need to till them deeper with my wonderful little Mantis tiller.

I love this tiller, its light and powerful and you can reverse the tines to use it as a cultivator. I got in on their "1 year like it or return it no questions asked" deal. It also carries a 5 year warranty on the tiller itself along with lifetime replacement gaurantee on tine breakage.

Well 1 1/2 weeks later and it was 80 today, windy as hell though. I have been slowly hardening off some of my larger plants. I got the 8 section pepper boxes finished today, another bale of peat and 4 more bags of compost/manure. I think I went over-board on the other garden boxes. I dumped a whole bale of peat into the one I have been using for fill dirt and then 6 bags of compost peat. It looks SOOO purty. I plan on going to town tomorrow and getting another dozen bags of compost/manure and prolly 2 more bales of peat to finish off the other 2 boxes.

I want to plant out SOOOO bad, but I must resist, its only April 1st, stil too cold at night. I may sink some onions into the ground this weekend though. I am going to plant onions on the outside of the pepper boxes, so I will have 48 feet of onions. LOL Heres to gardening, I got a 18 pack of beer and time to kill...

Are you going to put some lime in there with all that peat? Unless you have very alkaline soil, the ph might get a bit low. Just something to think about.

Good luck and keep the updates coming!
jacob

How do I test the PH???????? I tilled down 6 inches or so into the dirt and mixed it all together. I think my major problem last year is the roots couldn't break through the hard soil to get a good base. This year they have about 15" of nice mixed up soil/peat/compost/manure to live in. It should be a very productive year, lots of pods and maters. Maybe a veggie or two. I don't consider peppers and maters veggies, they are fruit!!! LOL

You might want to consider some perlite or vermiculite too Matt. That will go a long ways toward keeping your mix nice and fluffy. Keep some space for air and moisture and easier for the roots to go through.

Can't wait to see your season start.

Last year when I built my raised beds, I lined the bottom with newspaper, then a couple inches of lawn clippings and then top soil. This year when I roto tilled, there was no remains of the grass or news paper. For my large beds, I am mixing in a 2.2 c/ft bale of peat and 6 40lb bags of compost/manure. I moved some of the original topsoil into the new beds I build and mixed in compost/maure/peat into them also. It rained good and hard today, the mix settled like I had hoped. I might mix it up once more before planting, dont know yet...

Total I have/have used 4 2.2 cu/ft bales of peat and 23 40 lb bags of compost/manure. LOL Damn rain, go away, Matt wants to play!

Well I have been busy between work and riding the new Harley, so I have been slacking off on the updates, but I have been looking in on my babies atleast once a day. Next year I am going to have to wait 1 more month before starting seeds. I jumped the gun pretty good and now I need to either buy more lights or plant out and hope it doesnt get below 40 and kill them, but I know it will.

Anyways, do you remember my Bhut with the chopstick marker in it to show hieght? Well today, 5 weeks later (it doesnt seem like it has ben that long though), it is dwarfing the chopstick, check it out...
BiggestBhut-1.jpg

It is pretty finicky sometimes though, I forgot to turn the pot yesterday and it decided it wanted out the window. The top of the chopstick it 6" off the soil...
BhutChopstick.jpg

This is one of my Golden Cayenne's, it flowered and then set pods...
Cayenne2.jpg

My Espanola is doing the same thing...
Epanola.jpg

I need to move these around again later, they are reaching into the lights of the grow box...
TomatoesPeppers.jpg

This is my main grow box, I have moved the smaller plants here and taller plants to the window and backroom under the lights I can move up...
MainBox.jpg

I have given up on telling what each plant is, since they are all mixed up now, it would take forever...
Backroom.jpg

This is the top of my dresser, covered in plants...
Dresser.jpg

Plants are lookin' great Matt; bout time to start potting up. :)

I'm having trouble with my labels too. The Sharpie permanent marker isn't too permanent when the labels are exposed to the environment. Some are really difficult to read now.

Silver_Surfer said:
Plants are lookin' great Matt; bout time to start potting up. :)

I'm having trouble with my labels too. The Sharpie permanent marker isn't too permanent when the labels are exposed to the environment. Some are really difficult to read now.
+1
Looking awesome:cool: Your going to be very busy soon. You dont want to those too rootbound.

I stopped at Dollar General today and was looking at the plastic pots. I bought 5 that are 9"x9"x9" and potted up 1 Prairie Fire and 2 Medusas (this will be their permanent home). I also potted up 2 of the BillyBoy Douglahs, they will probably need another pot up, but they should be happy for awhile. I took some of my larger plants outside so they can have some good sunlight. I messed up when we installed the new window in my bedroom, I built it at work and we used Low-E glass, so it is mildly tinted, but still works.

Anyways, time to go ride the Harley for awhile and then home before dark to put the plants back in the house. I'm out like a fat kid in dodge ball (I was a fat kid so I can say that! LOL), vroooooom....

Does anyone else plant Peter peppers? Never had them before.

I grow Peter peppers and have been impressed. I usually get the transplants from Cross Country and forgot this year. I had saved and dried some seeds. So I planted 6 last month and 2 have come up. This is a picture of mine from last year. They are shaped right. Maybe they only do right for women growers! They are a heck of a conversation piece and a big laugh because people can't believe it when they see them.

4526227191_f68a4eeecf_o.jpg

LOL Nay Nay, they look great. I was wondering if they will actually look like they are supposed to or not. I planted them to mess with the women at work, we will see how they grow. I am still looking for "country girl" pepper seeds if you know of a source? :D

I was very unimpressed with the flavor and looks of the Peter pepper, I only had one out of dozens turn out to look like a Peter. Nay Nay must have good seed stock or possibly just a better climate for these cuz those in the pic look pretty good. My plan was to pickle them with small pearl onions for full effect.
I've been looking for the Country girl pepper for 5 or so years and the only lead I've found is a nursery that is now closed that used to sell them:(

Plants are looking great Matt

I am still looking for "country girl" pepper seeds if you know of a source?

This is the first I've heard of a "country girl" pepper. Sorry I can't help. Out of curiosity, what is it supposed to look like?

I got some Country girl seeds, i never even tryed them out for some reson. Are those good? Mybe i shold put some in jiffy boxes its not to late yet!
If you wanna trade pm me i can spare some seeds from it!

Back